New UKPK imminent?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
UKPeaKay

New UKPK imminent?

Post by UKPeaKay »

In the UK, the UKPK is king of the EDC (IMO!). I have several already.

I just saw someone mention that a new UKPK is imminent.

I've not heard anything about a new version. Please could you let me know what is coming out? Is there a design change, or a new materials combination or something?

Very excited if this is true!
LeDe

Re: New UKPK imminent?

Post by LeDe »

I am hoping Heinnie Haynes is planning a new release.
A Red G10 Salt would be ideal.
UKPeaKay

Post by UKPeaKay »

Heinnie still have a salt UKPK available though. (Green FRN, but still)

Another 4 pin would be nice. Special steel? Exotic scales?
cjk

Post by cjk »

Hopefully the Magnacut UKPK salt makes it to market soon. The SPY27 UKPK is fairly new, is that possibly the one the OP is asking about?
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

If I finally end up buying one in the regular line-up, I'd rather wait for the magnacut version.
I am not really a steel nerd but I already have a few LC200n and I may as well get something else.

Plus I have bought enough knives this year so waiting is actually a plus.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have a pair of Vapor Puffin scales awaiting a MagnaCut blade. And waiting... and waiting...
Matus

Post by Matus »

Honestly, with BD1n, LC200, MagnaCut and Spy27 - there is not much left to be desired. I know - some are yet to arrive - but we all know they are coming and are not sprint runs. We all will be able to get one or more eventually.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If I had to guess, then a HH lightweight in s45vn, maybe Magnacut.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I just can't get my head around all these multiple choices of what's really the exact same knife, rather than giving potential / repeat buyers something new - like a Wharncliffe, or whatever new.

This seems to be the way of Spyderco recently. The exact same knife repeated with different steels and handle colours rather than, God forbid, anything new. I'm guessing its all down to production easiness rather than the expense of a rework / production / cost change. Downright laziness and taking their buyers for granted I call it.

Spyderco is starting to wear thin on me now.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

HH UKPK drop point in MagnaCut would be nice.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

That's what happens when you listen to your customers. They keep asking for the same old same old with a different steel or a different blade shape, so that's what you end up making. Those who want something new but don't know exactly what other than "new and different" can't get a big enough bandwagon together to sway the production schedule.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Heinnie Haynes S45VN and red G10 a possibility?
HH would be daft not to release another UKPK exclusive because they sell out super fast. I buy one every time they release them (3 times in total now - 2 leafs and 1 drop point)

I personally would have liked to have seen the orange G10 and Rex45 when most of the Golden line up got the Rex45 treatment a few years ago, but I’d quite happily “settle” for a 15V and Brown G10 at some stage. We definitely need more steels that rust for the UKPK, our climate is just perfect for them! :cloud-rain

I may have heard wrong but does Sal carry 52100 drop point?

Also we need to get this wharncliffe version pushed through too. Basically what I’m trying to say is the more UKPK (G10) options, the merrier.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I’ve always wanted 52100 in micarta. Leaf or drop blade, either would be a grail for me.
:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Roefisher wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:49 pm
I just can't get my head around all these multiple choices of what's really the exact same knife, rather than giving potential / repeat buyers something new - like a Wharncliffe, or whatever new.

This seems to be the way of Spyderco recently. The exact same knife repeated with different steels and handle colours rather than, God forbid, anything new. I'm guessing its all down to production easiness rather than the expense of a rework / production / cost change. Downright laziness and taking their buyers for granted I call it.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanx for your comments. My apologies for wearing you thin. Spyderco may be a lot of things, but we've never been accused of being lazy, or taking advantage of our customers, which are very important to us.

FYI, we make multiple variations of some models because;

1) As you can see from the requests in this thread, our customers are asking for them. We do try to listen to our customer's requests.
2) We come out with as many, or more, new models than most in the Industry. I'm still in R&D and I'm working on at least 10 new models that will require tooling. Eric is not only GM, but he's also making production decisions and still refining existing models and designing new ones.
3) We're extending a great deal of focus trying to fill the increasing demand for models that we already make, which complicates "squeezing" in something new. Most of our makers are at capacity, as is our Golden factory. That's why we're expanding our factory.

I hope that helps with your understanding. And as always, we're open to suggestions.

sal
R100

Post by R100 »

Roefisher wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:49 pm

Mark
Each to their own. I personally love having steel and handle choices in my favourite models. I prefer this to churning out endless new models in the same steels like the Chinese companies do. I like new models too but Spyderco put a lot of effort into getting them right which I think is a better strategy than constant novelty of design. Even though I have a ridiculous number of knives I kid myself that I'm just a user so I want each one to work perfectly. That's what keeps me coming back.

Dan
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve just asked them and have been told there’s no *new* HH variant.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Flash wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:15 pm
HH would be daft not to release another UKPK exclusive because they sell out super fast. I buy one every time they release them (3 times in total now - 2 leafs and 1 drop point)

I personally would have liked to have seen the orange G10 and Rex45 when most of the Golden line up got the Rex45 treatment a few years ago, but I’d quite happily “settle” for a 15V and Brown G10 at some stage. We definitely need more steels that rust for the UKPK, our climate is just perfect for them! :cloud-rain

Also we need to get this wharncliffe version pushed through too. Basically what I’m trying to say is the more UKPK (G10) options, the merrier.

That is in the works AFAIK. Can't wait. I like how S45VN sharpens. Oh, and a big NO for rust prone steels in the UKPK(and in folders in general) from me.
Last edited by elena86 on Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Flash

Post by Flash »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:59 am
I’ve just asked them and have been told there’s no *new* HH variant.
To be fair they don’t always know what they are talking about. Nick told me just the other day that QSP don’t make titanium Hedgehogs with upgraded steel - a quick google search suggests they do indeed make many versions of titanium hedgehog with M390. It wouldn’t surprise me if this was just a fob off though.

Or possibly they simply don’t want anyone to know yet for their own reasons. I remember the FRN S30V urban - there wasn’t any details revealed about it until the moment it was released for sale.
Flash

Post by Flash »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:00 am
Flash wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:15 pm

That is in the works AFAIK. Can't wait. I like how S45VN sharpens. Oh, and a big NO for rust prone steels in the UKPK(and in folders in general) from me.
I do hope so. Wouldn’t mind trying S45VN.
It’s likely I won’t be to tell any real world difference between that and S30V in my day-to-day use, but I’m definitely willing to give it a try.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I only wish they implement the full lenght back spring and the washers in the lightweight variant. I would also be in heaven if they decided to grind them thinner bte. The K390 Urban should be the norm. The UKPK is one of Sal's more refined designs and it deserves the best. Can't wait for the Metropolitan. I wonder how far behind is that one ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red