Handle Scale Vendors

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomanyquestions

Handle Scale Vendors

Post by toomanyquestions »

Many of us will eventually consider upgrading or changing the handle scales on a spyderco.

I am interested in reliable handle scale vendors. Particularly sellers who have provided a quality product and/or service. Links to websites, ebay, etsy, etc are encouraged.

Background: I have glanced at ebay & etsy but ya just don't know.... :-||
Ramonade

Re: Handle Scale Vendors

Post by Ramonade »

AWT
RC Bladeworks
Ripps Garage Tech
Sharp Dressed Knives
Original Goat
Flytanium (some people have QC issues but if you contact the dealer or flytanium themselves they'll sort it out everytime)
Cuscadi.de
Aramis Akhmedov (but I can't link his website, don't know how his situation is right now)

Then there's custom makers who can basically make everything you want.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

:index-finger That's a good list. I've ordered from the top two vendors. Excellent products!

These two make good stuff and are available at various dealers:
LynchNW
Cerberus

I have a set of Karbadize scales that I got at BladeHQ. Also very nice

Haven't tried these yet
Rockscale Design
Metonboss
•• Beau
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

I owned multiple sets of scales from AWT (Manix, Native and also BM Mini Adamas) and their quality is phenomenal.

I also have a set of Original Goat scales for my Hogue Deka that I've been extremely satisfied with; they are probably my favorite tied with AWT.

I've had mixed results with Flytanium for my Bugout, Para 3, Manix, and Pilar, but would advise buying on the secondary rather than new.

I had Metonboss copper scales for my Shaman which were excellent, but the Victorinox scales had a couple burrs that were an easy to fix with some sandpaper. I'd still highly recommend them.

I've also ordered Mule Team scales from Hazy Design Studio on Etsy which were flawless and had incredibly tight tolerances (didn't have any gaps or overlaps to the Mule itself).

I've also purchased Halpern Titanium Scales (not in titanium), and the original set didn't fit my Mule correctly, but they immediately sent out new scales to me and a return label to send back the old ones.

Lastly, I owned Aimfront scales for my Bugout which are good quality aluminum scales, but they only offer them for the Para 3 LW.
Last edited by DansGearAddiction on Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Suingab does amazing work.
https://g10.lt/
Best way to get in touch is through email off of his website. Everything is made to order. He will ask some questions to ensure he knows what you want.

I have used AWT, Ripp's Garage Tech, and Sharp Dressed Knives. All are great!

I've handled a friend's Lynch titanium Delica scales. Those are amazing! Casey's service is fantastic.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
fixall

Post by fixall »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:05 pm
AWT
RC Bladeworks
Ripps Garage Tech
Sharp Dressed Knives
Original Goat
Flytanium (some people have QC issues but if you contact the dealer or flytanium themselves they'll sort it out everytime)
Cuscadi.de
Aramis Akhmedov (but I can't link his website, don't know how his situation is right now)

Then there's custom makers who can basically make everything you want.
Great list!

Josh of REK Knives is now an authorized seller of Aramis scales (he’s the only one I know of in the states).
vivi

Post by vivi »

Shame none of these people have a habit of building scales for full sized models.

For example, browsed RGT's site and didn't see scales for Yojumbos, Millies, Manix XL's, Police etc. Just a bunch of skinny ultem stuff for small folders I don't even own like the Para 3.

Oh wait I did see a set of Native Chief screws for $50 :rofl
:unicorn
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 pm
Shame none of these people have a habit of building scales for full sized models.

For example, browsed RGT's site and didn't see scales for Yojumbos, Millies, Manix XL's, Police etc. Just a bunch of skinny ultem stuff for small folders I don't even own like the Para 3.

Oh wait I did see a set of Native Chief screws for $50 :rofl
And then even when they sell scales that you're interested in, it's right-hand only unless you want to get micarta.
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

I just purchased some carbon fiber shaman scales from flytanium so I will report back. This will be my first time doing anything to any Spyderco knife. There are plenty of videos online so how tough can it be?! The current action on my Shaman is a bit stiff so I hope to get some nice scales on it and cross my fingers improve the action.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Don't forget Fireside. I really like the Tero Tuff scales I have from them

https://firesideco.com/product-category ... fe-scales/
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

I just bought a set of Endura scales with which I'm extremely pleased from gentleman named Dmytro, who has a shop on Etsy called DHCustomKnives.

He does Endura and Matriarch scales in micarta--I got the denim--for $35 or $39 with the backspacer, and free shipping from the Ukraine. He also offers scales for those models in carbon fiber, but the price is about $85-100 if I recall, and I have an aversion to paying as much for aftermarket scales as I did for the actual knife. And anyway, I wanted the micarta. I was a bit worried given the state of things in Ukraine, but it was exactly two weeks to the day from my placing of the order to delivery at my door in Utah. Couldn't be happier. One word of advice: the info on the Etsy page advises you to contact Dmytro before ordering, and I suggest following those instructions so he can ensure he has what you want, knows how you want the scales drilled for the clip, and can keep you apprised of the progress. He had to order the micarta I wanted, but it only added a couple days, an the scales still arrived in two weeks.
Attachments
20231114_151550.jpg
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 pm
I’ve bought a few sets of RGT scales from DLT. RGT doesn’t seem to keep much stock around, but DLT often has a few sets for more popular models.

RC Bladeworks may be a better choice for larger or otherwise less popular models.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:19 pm
I was going to make a post to ask about any personal Suingab experiences. The website photos look fantastic, but with estimates rather than set pricing, ordering via email, international shipping, etc., I just wanted to hear from someone who had ordered from him. And I'm glad to hear you are a satisfied customer, because there aren't many options for Endela scales, and I really need to replace the stock FRN scales on my K390 wharncliffe Endela. I LOVE that knife...but those scales are chewing up my pockets.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Hatuletoh wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 am
JSumm wrote:
I was going to make a post to ask about any personal Suingab experiences. The website photos look fantastic, but with estimates rather than set pricing, ordering via email, international shipping, etc., I just wanted to hear from someone who had ordered from him. And I'm glad to hear you are a satisfied customer, because there aren't many options for Endela scales, and I really need to replace the stock FRN scales on my K390 wharncliffe Endela. I LOVE that knife...but those scales are chewing up my pockets.
I wanna say my Endela scales were like $80 shipped. He is just one guy, so emailing works best to communicate. It is not like ordering from a large company on an automated website. But his work speaks for itself. The scales are wonderfully contoured. I am going to send him a Rock Jumper, so he can start making Leaf Jumper and Rock Jumper scales.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

AWT PM2 liner delete scales are a revelation in lightness and contouring. I'm really hoping they do the same for the Military2.

Cuscadi does great custom work orders, like this recent burled red amboina they did for me

I've always been impressed with Sharpdressed Knives, who will also do things to order if they are not in stock

I'd be cautious with Etsy, but otherwise I've had a good experience from all of the ones I've ordered from.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Hatuletoh wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 am
JSumm wrote:

I’ve had several sets of scales made by Agnius (Suingab). I’ll try to upload some pics later. He’s super great to work with, and has really reasonable prices.

If you’re going for a custom set of scales that are contoured, and have the handcrafted touch, Suingab and Cuscadi are my top choices.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Ripps Garage Tech is the only US scale vendor I have seen who works with both metal and composites. I have a bunch of scale sets from Ripp's and am very happy with all of them. https://rippsgaragetech.com/collections/spyderco

The only other one is Vapor Puffin creations in the UK. Mostly slip joint scales. https://www.vpcreations.co.uk/
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I really like the AWT hard anodized alu scales. Stellar fit and finish, and great contouring!

Native 5 LW

Manix

Shaman

PM2

I also like RGT's ti scales for the PM2

Edit: spelling
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kobold

Post by kobold »

They look awesome. Thinking of a LW Native set. How does it feels in the hand?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10