Will the FO sharpen factory seconds?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mkultra69

Will the FO sharpen factory seconds?

Post by Mkultra69 »

Hi y’all,

Lurker here, but excited to become a part of the community.

I live near the Factory Outlet so I often stop by. I own a few factory seconds. In previous visits, the employees have happily offered to either sharpen the knife in store or “check it in” for a factory belt grind.

One of the seconds I have is a Para 3 with mexamet steel. Knowing it’s a harder steel to sharpen by hand, I asked to check in the knife. He informed me that he would this time but in the future they are not supposed to check in factory second knives even for a sharpen. Obviously they cannot be checked in for warranty because it’s a second.

I love Spyderco immensely but I will be super bummed if that’s their policy not to check in a knife if it’s a second. I also picked up some culinary knives at the factory seconds sale and I convinced my wife it was a good purchase because we would be able to have them sharpened at the factory.

Anywho, this is not an indictment on the company or the employee, both of whom I respect completely. More so just wondering if anyone had experience with this in the past.

Cheers!
Mkultra69
Michael Janich

Re: Will the FO sharpen factory seconds?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Mkultra69:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Sorry, but that's the established company policy.

Stay safe,

Mike
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Seconds are perfect for learning to sharpen on. Get some diamond plates and you'll be fine
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Maxamet is really not THAT bad to sharpen. I highly recommend the cbn rods for the sharpmaker.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Or get a 204 Sharpmaker and watch the instructional video. Then you can maintain all your knives! It is easy if you follow the instructions. Sharpening your own blades is such an empowering experience that you’ll be so happy you learned, and the Sharpmaker makes it easy to learn how to sharpen.
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

Spyderco's official policy is that factory seconds are not eligible for the factory warranty or sharpening service. If you want to rely on the outlet sharpening your knives for you, you'll just need to buy full priced knives.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Subverto wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:46 am
Spyderco's official policy is that factory seconds are not eligible for the factory warranty or sharpening service. If you want to rely on the outlet sharpening your knives for you, you'll just need to buy full priced knives.
So, If I bought a full priced knife they would sharpen it for me before the dispatch(if I so ask) ?! Let's say I want my knife to be checked and sharpened with equal and consistent cutting bevels ? What's the official policy in this case ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:08 pm
Maxamet is really not THAT bad to sharpen. I highly recommend the cbn rods for the sharpmaker.
I agree, but the OP clearly isn’t a knife sharpening person. Jumping straight into maxamet could prove quite the challenge to someone with no sharpening background.

I also find it slightly amusing that the OP bought a seconds on maxamet without thinking of the sharpening factor.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

It looks like the OP has ghosted us.
Hopefully he bought a bunch of sharpening tools and has been
spending all his spare time sharpening all the neglected knives he can find.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Mkultra69 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:03 pm
Hi y’all,

Lurker here, but excited to become a part of the community.

I live near the Factory Outlet so I often stop by. I own a few factory seconds. In previous visits, the employees have happily offered to either sharpen the knife in store or “check it in” for a factory belt grind.

One of the seconds I have is a Para 3 with mexamet steel. Knowing it’s a harder steel to sharpen by hand, I asked to check in the knife. He informed me that he would this time but in the future they are not supposed to check in factory second knives even for a sharpen. Obviously they cannot be checked in for warranty because it’s a second.

I love Spyderco immensely but I will be super bummed if that’s their policy not to check in a knife if it’s a second. I also picked up some culinary knives at the factory seconds sale and I convinced my wife it was a good purchase because we would be able to have them sharpened at the factory.

Anywho, this is not an indictment on the company or the employee, both of whom I respect completely. More so just wondering if anyone had experience with this in the past.

Cheers!
Mkultra69
Worksharp makes some really easy to use benchstone kits with angle guides that might cost less than a trip to the outlet.