Spyderco Stretch Original

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Spyderco Stretch Original

Post by Wartstein »

kriezek wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:09 pm
Thanks Warstein for posting that the HAP40 original Stretch is available at BentoBox. I missed out way back when, but I went ahead and got one. I soon have 3 Stretches - VG-10, ZDP-189, with HAP40 coming.

Glad one who obviously knows and appreciates this amazing design is going to have a great trio soon !! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Everyone lay off the bento box shop HAP40’s. This is my secret place. They don’t accept returns so I know I am getting an item straight from the factory.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:20 pm
Everyone lay off the bento box shop HAP40’s. This is my secret place. They don’t accept returns so I know I am getting an item straight from the factory.

They offer the HAP40 Endura for just 125 USD now ... I have one of those already, but still if I was living in the US I'd get another one as a backup.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Stretch 1 had the better choil by far. However, the Stretch 1 wasn't comfortable to my hand and the 2 is. I think the big hook on the end was partially to blame. My hand wanted to be outside of that hook. I don't know, but if feels as if the 2 has a little more grip room.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:39 am
The Stretch 1 had the better choil by far. However, the Stretch 1 wasn't comfortable to my hand and the 2 is. I think the big hook on the end was partially to blame. My hand wanted to be outside of that hook. I don't know, but if feels as if the 2 has a little more grip room.
Completely agree on the choil:
Short, shallow, but wide radius. Perfect.

/ The Stretch 2 has noticeably more grip room indeed.
I am still surprised though that the "1" felt to small for your hand: I know you like the Manix, and the Stretch 1 actually offers a tad MORE space behind the choil than a Manix...
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Excellent thread, about time for some pics.
The top two are of course Stretch 1's. For comparison is a Stretch 2 at bottom and it's easy to see the choil and handle differences. Hope the photo helps those interested. Take care, Dave

Last edited by petz462 on Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dave
USAF Retired
petz462

Post by petz462 »

double post.
Dave
USAF Retired
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

petz462 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:01 pm

Nice comparison shot, thanks for the photo.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Love my endura Hap40. This has me thinking about the Stretch 1 variant…
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:47 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:39 am
Completely agree on the choil:
Short, shallow, but wide radius. Perfect.

/ The Stretch 2 has noticeably more grip room indeed.
I am still surprised though that the "1" felt to small for your hand: I know you like the Manix, and the Stretch 1 actually offers a tad MORE space behind the choil than a Manix...
Weird, isn't it, but hands are different. The M2 is a little close, but it works. The Stretch 2 works better. I like the blade on the M2 a lot, but the SSS is also good. I'd still take my backlock M2 as first choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

AHarbuck wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:57 pm
Love my endura Hap40. This has me thinking about the Stretch 1 variant…

Get one, as long as you can find them for reasonable prices... I am sure you won't regret it! (Unless you have XXL hands, in that case the Stretch 2 will fit better - but can't be had in HAP40).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Old comparison pic of Stretch 1 / straight spine Stretch 2 / "regular" blade shape Stretch 2

- Stretch 1 having a more compact handle but still more cutting edge (knives lined up at where the edge begins, a square on the paper is 5 mm)

- Stretch 1 having a shorter, but actually a bit wider radiuessed choil

- Stretch 1 having an a bit pointier tip than the original blade shape Stretch 2 (best compromise for me between that and the very pointy straight spine tip)

- Stretch 1 with that pronounced pinky hook: Very nice, as long as your hand still fits the handle (mine, L to XL, does no problem)

- Sidenote: The straight spine Stretch 2 offers more edge than the "original" Stretch 2:
For one the ss has an a hair longer blade, plus the blade part of its choil is shorter (eats up less cutting edge)

BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

ninemm wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:51 pm
Hey all! Recently picked up an OG Stretch in Hap40. Totally in love with the ergos and blade shape. Unfortunately this means I’m not a huge fan of the Stretch 2. It’s been hard trying to find any original Stretch versions out there for sale. Especially since people mislabel them as Stretch 2s. Does anyone have leads on vendors that still may have some old models laying around? Cheers!
Check Sooner State Knives, they have a bunch of discounted stuff. I’ve heard they are reputable but I’ve never bought from them but just double check that they are a dealer on Spyderco
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Now that I have my Stretches from Bentobox along with ZDP-189 faithful, figured I would toss a photo in. Thanks again for the heads up.

Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I had the HAP40 Stretch 1 for awhile. Never carried it. I've only sold a handful of knives and that Stretch was one of them. No regrets because I did keep a VG10 Stretch and aslo have the first SS Stretch (VG10 & Ivory FRN). I've been carrying them both lately and they're definitely worth keeping
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

kriezek wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:30 pm
Now that I have my Stretches from Bentobox along with ZDP-189 faithful, figured I would toss a photo in. Thanks again for the heads up.

Great pic! And the ZDP Stretch is so nice! Hopefully the HAP40 lives up to expectations
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kriezek wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:30 pm

Glad I could help.. and its cool to see these three variants in one pic! :smlling-eyes

Even more so, since burnt orange and british racing green belong to my most favorite handle colors (they are very different, I know ;) )

If you want to look at really beautiful Stretches (custom scales) I recommend the home page of long term forum member "the Deacon"

http://paulberetta.com/
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Another cool Stretch..Super Blue..

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image One more . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I was searching for pics of the comboedge Stretch 1 I once had, and this old one is the only one I could still find.
Actually comparing the blades of Stretch 1 comboedge, Endela SE and Salt 2 SE.

- For one it can be seen that the serrations on the Stretch are really "deep" and "aggressive", especially compared to the Endelas (I personally did not like that).

- But it also shows again the for a knife with choil great edge-to-handle ratio of the Stretch 1:
In handle length (11.3 mm) it is even a tad closer to the Salt 2 (10.8 mm) than to the Endela (11.9 mm), but still that compact Stretch 1 offers 81 mm (3.19") of cutting edge (and a choil), compared to 76 (2.99") on the Endela and 67mm (2.65) on the Salt 2.
The latter two without a real finger choil.