MULE TEAM™ Future Predictions

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
standy99

Re: MULE TEAM™ Future Predictions

Post by standy99 »

Self Taught wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:59 pm
At this point haven’t they covered most steel categories? I’d like to see a beefier mule to test toughness with more confidence. Maybe high saber grind. Thicker stock. Both
Mule is a standard. Don’t think you will see a thicker stock or Sabre grind. You’re getting one the same as they always are. :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Three V, for me?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

tcarltonw wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:36 am
Three V, for me?
Would be great as I just got a old 4V in a swap for a spare S45VN I had…
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

tcarltonw wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:36 am
Three V, for me?
I'd really like to see OU-31.

It's a Japanese steel that's basically 3V with 3% Cobalt added.

Edit:

I found a comment (from BF) made by Sal in 2007:
"We tested some about 10 years ago. As I remember, the special ingredient they were using was the addtion of copper. Our tests were OK. We were also testing and using ATS-55 (Custom made by Hitachi for Spyderco) and VG-10 at the time. Our main Seki maker said that he thought that the OU-31 material was more brittle than he liked for a production steel. Maybe we can play with some if the "Mule Team" project works out.

sal"
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

That would be an interesting version. I know the concept of a mule is to have the only variable as the steel type. But it would be very interesting to test varying blade shapes and style qualities in one or two of the most popular steels.

Imagine if you will, a MagnaCut version with different grinds. Different blade thicknesses. Different edge profiles and BTE thicknesses. Different blade shapes, (wharnie, leaf, clip, etc.) and of course, spydie edge vs regular.

I know this is way beyond the purpose of the Mule Team program but it would provide for some very interesting testing with a consistent known steel. And a guy can dream right?
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
WirelessBrain

Post by WirelessBrain »

S125V would be amazing!
It is still available from Crucible.

Alpha knife has it listed but not stocked.

Crucible says to contact them, so I did.
They said thet can only make it in larger quantities, which they would not define.

I said "how about enough for 750 7"- 8" blades?

They said, "yes, yes, something like that".
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

FullScaler wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:21 pm
That would be an interesting version. I know the concept of a mule is to have the only variable as the steel type. But it would be very interesting to test varying blade shapes and style qualities in one or two of the most popular steels.

Imagine if you will, a MagnaCut version with different grinds. Different blade thicknesses. Different edge profiles and BTE thicknesses. Different blade shapes, (wharnie, leaf, clip, etc.) and of course, spydie edge vs regular.

I know this is way beyond the purpose of the Mule Team program but it would provide for some very interesting testing with a consistent known steel. And a guy can dream right?
Interesting thoughts! I wondered about these things too:>)
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I would still love to see an 80CRv2 steel. It would be a good baseline for testing with steels like 52100
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

What about PM-V11? It's a chisel and plane blade steel...

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/discove ... -v11-story
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vanka

Post by vanka »

Not really sure, but I think PM-V11 may be proprietary steel. As far as I can see it is only found in Lee Valley tools. Mostly Veritas plane irons and chisels. Quick Google search didn't find the steel composition or who is producing it. I could be wrong though.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

I'd like to see them revisit a steel that hasn't been used in awhile that hasn't been Muled like V-Toku2 or Super Blue.

Vanadis 8, REX121, S390, and S125V would be sweet as well.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vanka wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:27 pm
Not really sure, but I think PM-V11 may be proprietary steel. As far as I can see it is only found in Lee Valley tools. Mostly Veritas plane irons and chisels. Quick Google search didn't find the steel composition or who is producing it. I could be wrong though.

I think you're right. I also suspect that Veritas may be over-representing the steel's properties somewhat, in that it's portrayed (in comparison to M4!) as much higher toughness, equivalent edge retention, and much easier to sharpen. That's a hard-to-believe combination--a miracle steel if true. But hey, maybe Veritas will collaborate on a mule and we can find out?

PS: I read somewhere that the "V11" refers to version 11. I had assumed it was 11% vanadium but apparently that's incorrect.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 7.19.49 PM.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sbdude

Post by sbdude »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:59 pm
vanka wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:27 pm

I think you're right. I also suspect that Veritas may be over-representing the steel's properties somewhat, in that it's portrayed (in comparison to M4!) as much higher toughness, equivalent edge retention, and much easier to sharpen. That's a hard-to-believe combination--a miracle steel if true. But hey, maybe Veritas will collaborate on a mule and we can find out?

PS: I read somewhere that the "V11" refers to version 11. I had assumed it was 11% vanadium but apparently that's incorrect.
That doesn't look very believable but if so, it would be a great steel. While there is probably some marketing going on there, I'm wondering if that isn't just a name they are putting on another steel that we all know just for the marketing purposes.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

If V11 really is so easy to sharpen, but has bigtime edge retention, would that not imply lots of carbides in a relatively soft matrix?
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

With CPM-M4 being bang on the optimal toughnes/edge retention balance line I seriously doubt that this steel could be better in all parameters. Maybe in some really particular, obscure, carpentry scenario where a very specific edge retention matters more than general (as in very little abrasive wear, so edge stability would be more important or some other similar scenario)