T15 Mule owners... What you guys think?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Emerson

T15 Mule owners... What you guys think?

Post by Emerson »

Hey gents,

Those of you that own and use the T15 Mule. What's your overall opinion on the steel? Sharpening, edge retention, toughness, etc.

Thanks!
yablanowitz

Re: T15 Mule owners... What you guys think?

Post by yablanowitz »

I like it a lot. It takes a nice edge and holds it very well in my use. It does rust easily, though. Of course, part of that may be from opening water softener salt bags, which I do often. It doesn't seem quite as agressive as K294, but with a lower grit edge it hangs right in there.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:57 am
part of that may be from opening water softener salt bags, which I do often.

Whenever I refill the water softener, the effect on my knife is going through my head. I just wipe the dust off on my pants, and haven't noticed a problem. Dry environments will do that, I suppose.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Sharpening T15 is probably going to be its biggest downside to most folks. I enjoy sharpening and it takes a little longer than most other steels, with very little to nil burr formation in sharpening, IME. This may, or may not be a hinderance for your sharpening progression, if you rely on that burr formation to achieve an apex. I note that the edge will seem to burnish in sharpening if you spend too much time at any given grit, which can start to smooth out some aggression of your finished edge. It will take an aggressive edge and a rather polished edge, with bite.

Edge retention has been up there with many of the currently loved super steels, a la K390. The edge wears with little loss to overall sharpness, IME. The edge seems to hold initial "front end" sharpness extremely well and doesn't degrade into a "working edge" like the SXXV steels after minimal use. After prolonged usage, the edge does seem to gain more aggression, especially if initially taken to a more polished apex. I've found stropping to be adequate maintenance in keeping the apex quite sharp over extended use.

Toughness has been excellent, IME. I've whittled and torqued G-10; hacked, whittled and torqued maple; cut much plastics and I find the apex to be incredibly stable. I'd hesitate in dropping your edge angles too low (most won't do this anyway), but I am highly impressed by the lack of overall edge damage after quite a few punishing tests/tasks.

Corrosion resistance will be a definite consideration, especially so depending on usage in or around corrosive environments or mediums.

Overall, I really enjoy T15 as a steel and I find it quite outstanding for what it offers.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:57 am
I like it a lot. It takes a nice edge and holds it very well in my use. It does rust easily, though. Of course, part of that may be from opening water softener salt bags, which I do often. It doesn't seem quite as agressive as K294, but with a lower grit edge it hangs right in there.
So far, my experience with it has been great for the everyday use. The fact that I've read about it rusting easily has made me want to get it cerakoted. I've seen someone else's on the forum after getting it covered and I very much like the look of the cerakoted mule.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

I think we communicated a little bit about the cerakote but my suggestion would be to reach out to your local gun shops to see if any of them do cerakote. I get mine done by Tate at Black Boar Rifles in the neighboring town of Georgetown, TX.
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

What about a gun bluing agent? Has anyone tried that with a tool steel in the past?
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

tcarltonw wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:43 am
I think we communicated a little bit about the cerakote but my suggestion would be to reach out to your local gun shops to see if any of them do cerakote. I get mine done by Tate at Black Boar Rifles in the neighboring town of Georgetown, TX.
We did! Mine is at a local gun store getting Cerakoted as we speak! They got some new "blackest of the black" color, which I opted for. I'll post pics when I get it back!
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Awesome man! Look forward to seeing it.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I really like it so far. I find it very similar to rex45. Haven't used it long enough to see a difference in edge retention. I'd buy a knife made from it. A manix with t15 would be cool
Brant

Post by Brant »

T15 was the mule I wanted before all others. I’ve carved into wood, sliced up cardboard and open letters. I have yet to sharpen it. I wipe it down with a silicone rag and it’s stayed patina free, so far……… Maybe some day a Para 3 will come in this, with a DLC blade too?
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Thanks for starting this thread. I kind of forgot about my other mules. I’ve been stuck on the AEB-L mule because it’s been an amazing fun knife to use. With it raining in the Puget Sound region maybe it’s time to break this one out and test it?
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Not much by the way of input but I just got around to sharpening one of my T-15 mules and she's the hardest steel I've sharpened so far. Isn't a surprise or news but I'll check back in after some use.
mooniesdl3

Post by mooniesdl3 »

Sharpened my T15 up with diamond plates and diamond past wood strop and it is absolutely screaming sharp. Working on putting a handles on another T15 for a friend and a K294 for me, will sharpen them both up and post pictures of all 3 of them soon. The friend supplied some nice zebra wood for me to use as handle material. I used Ultrex SureTouch for my T15 with my first Anso pattern.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear mooniesdl3:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

mooniesdl3 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:32 am
Sharpened my T15 up with diamond plates and diamond past wood strop and it is absolutely screaming sharp. Working on putting a handles on another T15 for a friend and a K294 for me, will sharpen them both up and post pictures of all 3 of them soon. The friend supplied some nice zebra wood for me to use as handle material. I used Ultrex SureTouch for my T15 with my first Anso pattern.

Yes, welcome Moonies! Looking forward to photos.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189