Is the Endura still well loved in 2023?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Is the Endura still well loved in 2023?

Post by elena86 »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:55 am
ImageAccidentally stripped the screws on the clip so I had these scales made without holes tapped. It lives in my travel bag and is rock solid.
Awesome !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would agree with the earlier post that more people are using their Enduras than talking about them. Certain older/long-time models may not be 'the talk of the town' on knife discussion forums, but that doesn't necessarily equate with getting no love. Mostly what dominates the talk on knife discussion forums is the newest, and the "latest-greatest."

Jim
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Back in the early days there weren’t a lot of options for 3.5”+ Spydies. Endura, Police, I think that was it for standard production in the 90’s when I got my first Spyderco knife. Most people were choosing between Delica and Endura.

These days the Stretch seems to have displaced the Endura in terms of enthusiasts. People must still buy them but it’s hardly the flagship it once was.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

apollo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:56 am
I think the Endura is extremely loved....but its a sleeper when it comes to conversations because its most of the time second in line to some other knife from like the military or Manix or salt lines just to name a few.
I think this is probably true.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Fastidiotus:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Endura is my favorite larger knife. I have two, and will likely get another one at some point. I like the Military and want to check out the new Millie 2, but the Endura is very pocketable for such a large knife and it is very capable.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z1r

Post by z1r »

I usually carry an Endela due to size limitations. But, I couldn't help myself Saturday when I came across this ZDP189 Endura for $37.00! Perfect for those locales where the 3.5" limit isn't enforced!

Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

Nice find ! ZDP Enduras are classics. Great steel in a great usable, functional format 👍
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:47 am
The Endura is my favorite larger knife. I have two, and will likely get another one at some point. I like the Military and want to check out the new Millie 2, but the Endura is very pocketable for such a large knife and it is very capable.
What about the vertical blade play people are complaining ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:43 am
Doc Dan wrote:
None of my Enduras have ANY blade play. In fact, the only Spyderco's I have with any vertical play, are two Harpy's I have. Disappointing, but I've used them quite a lot without issue. They remain locked and the play hasn't increased. My Enduras are rock solid. I've carried my Endela nearly everyday for the last 2 plus years and it is as tight today as when I bought it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm convinced ya'll aren't checking as hard as I am. I've never in my life handled an Endura with zero vertical movement, or even a legendary golden lock back. Any of my chiefs show vertical movement if I press the blade into a cutting board with medium force.
:unicorn
z1r

Post by z1r »

vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:19 pm
I'm convinced ya'll aren't checking as hard as I am. I've never in my life handled an Endura with zero vertical movement, or even a legendary golden lock back. Any of my chiefs show vertical movement if I press the blade into a cutting board with medium force.
I won't argue that.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

If the blade is being forced to move vertically, that presents a reasonable expectation for vertical blade movement.

I can force my car door all the way forward too but doing that requires an irrational amount of force.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:27 pm
If the blade is being forced to move vertically, that presents a reasonable expectation for vertical blade movement.

I can force my car door all the way forward too but doing that requires an irrational amount of force.
Is using a Spyderco lockback to cut an apple in half "irrational force" to you? That's the level of force it takes to show the vertical play in every chief, endura, c95 manix etc. I've handled.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:35 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:27 pm

Is using a Spyderco lockback to cut an apple in half "irrational force" to you? That's the level of force it takes to show the vertical play in every chief, endura, c95 manix etc. I've handled.
Are you really convinced people aren’t using their knives as “hard as you” when they cut an apple in half? I’m just not so easily persuaded by your personal hyperbole.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

All I'm saying is I've never handled a Spyderco lockback that doesn't show any vertical play when halving an apple.

Never said I use my knives harder than anyone. Just don't think they're paying attention as closely.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It's just tolerances. Some factories have lower tolerances or at least discernable. There are no zero tolerances in this world. Even Mike J alluded to tighter tolerances in Golden some time back when discussing this very topic about lockbacks. He may have just been guessing or thinking out loud. Some tolerances are just more perceptible than others. But no zero tolerances. Hopefully no one is suggesting that. I haven't seen that.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:43 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I don't see it. I can get it to move very slightly if I force it, but it isn't much. I've made some hard cuts and haven't had any problems. TBH, I have seen someone's Endura with a slight lock rock. My Caly3 has a little when pushed hard, but not much. The Enduras and Delicas have none or not enough to consider.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

The Endura 4 is still my favorite spyderco model. I’d love to see one with a delica’s stock thickness however.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

electro-static wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:31 pm
The Endura 4 is still my favorite spyderco model. I’d love to see one with a delica’s stock thickness however.

That would be great indeed.

Was hoping that at least the Endela would carry over the thinner Delica blade stock...but it got the 3 mm of the Endura.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)