Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Chaparral

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:14 pm
Bolster wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:00 pm
Since the Chap isn't a knife I subject to heavy use requiring tough steel...
Well, my friend, I won't get into details yet again, but I just have to say it once more:
In my practical use the Chap IS a knife for heavy/ "hard" use in the realm of folder (!!) tasks..

Yes, I'm familiar this is a theme of yours, Wartstein--I do read your posts! But admitting the Chap can do heavy use, does that contraindicate putting a high ER, low toughness steel in it? I don't think so. I suspect that most Chap users don't use it as a chopper.
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

It’s not just about the steel either. Because a knife can handle some harder use tasks, does not mean that’s where it was designed to excel in, not even remotely. Even for the chaps length, it has quite thin geometry, handle and blade thickness wise. I’m pretty sure it was designed to excel and be a versatile slicer in light to mid level cutting.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just read back a few posts and saw mention of a fluted CF Chap. Heck Yeah!!!! 😄 That would be a must have for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm definitely getting a SE when it is available, but I'm tempted to get a PE sooner, and stop waiting.
As far as the Wharncliffe mentioned earlier; I'm not sure that would happen given all of those that have just been discontinued.
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I think I might have to field dress and maybe skin a deer with my chap this year if I’m lucky enough to get one.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:42 pm
I think I might have to field dress and maybe skin a deer with my chap this year if I’m lucky enough to get one.

Sounds amazing. Pls post pics! :respect
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:53 am
👆 We don't see this version posted enough on here.
I agree.

Raffir Noble sucks you into its depths.

-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:56 pm
I don't understand what the issue with CTS-XHP is. Is everyone just bored with the Chaps always coming with it?
It’s one of my favorite steels. I love its aggressive toothy edge, and how easily it takes that edge. I like to jump from the medium SM stones to the 1 micron diamond strop.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Just joining the Raffir Noble show -

———

Since we’re on the subject of Raffir Noble Chaparral’s, this is probably a good time to throw out an idea for a new Chaparral handle material.

Raffir Blue Uranium!

It changes between three colors depending on the lighting. It’s blue in sunlight, dark grey in indoor lighting, and it glows in the dark if it’s charged by UV light. :star-struck

- Nick :bug-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That would be absolutely fantastic. I'll take one, SE please.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Yes, that would make the Chapparal my new Seahawks game day knife for sure. That's gorgeous.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Where is the SE version anyway? I hope it’s equally thin behind the edge as the PE version. I don’t care if it’s so thin it’s prone to damage, I want an SE laser.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:48 pm
Where is the SE version anyway? I hope it’s equally thin behind the edge as the PE version. I don’t care if it’s so thin it’s prone to damage, I want an SE laser.

Same here!!

(And yes, as far as I can tell the (PE of course) Chap actually is not that thin behind the edge from the factory (after all it's a hard use folder... :winking-tongue ...(just kidding, it is for me, but definitely NOT what Sal had in mind when designing it ;) ))
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:19 pm
Since we’re on the subject of Raffir Noble Chaparral’s, this is probably a good time to throw out an idea for a new Chaparral handle material.

Raffir Blue Uranium!

That's really cool and I was totally not aware of the existence of such a material!!

Would make for a really special Chap indeed!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:19 pm
Just joining the Raffir Noble show -

———

Raffir Blue Uranium!

It changes between three colors depending on the lighting. It’s blue in sunlight, dark grey in indoor lighting, and it glows in the dark if it’s charged by UV light. :star-struck

I'm not usually big on gitd stuff, but I'd absolutely buy that.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

littlespoon

Post by littlespoon »

Hi all,
New to the forum though a long time lurker. Just recently bought a Chaparral Sun & Moon and would like some input on some things I perceive as issues with fit and finish. Do I post in this thread, or is it better I start a new one?
All the best
Leo
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

littlespoon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:36 pm
Hi all,
New to the forum though a long time lurker. Just recently bought a Chaparral Sun & Moon and would like some input on some things I perceive as issues with fit and finish. Do I post in this thread, or is it better I start a new one?
All the best
Leo

Welcome littlespoon. There is no way to win. If you post here people will say to post a new topic. If you make a new post people will tell you to post in this thread. Since you can't win, do as you like, either will work fine. You'll get more responses with a new post however.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

littlespoon wrote:
Hi all,
All the best
Leo

Someone had some issues with their Chaparral Sun and Moon with scratches on the handle so you may want to post there if applicable:

Chaparral Sun and Moon scratches on handle from new question
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
littlespoon

Post by littlespoon »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:17 pm
littlespoon wrote:
Hi all,
All the best
Leo

Welcome littlespoon. There is no way to win. If you post here people will say to post a new topic. If you make a new post people will tell you to post in this thread. Since you can't win, do as you like, either will work fine. You'll get more responses with a new post however.
Thanks Bolster!
I'm not necessarily looking for a lot of responses, but rather some input from people who own this knife, or some variant of the model. Possible fixes and/or a reality check is what I'm after so posting in this thread seems like a good idea.