What's your use for a Ladybug?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: What's your use for a Ladybug?

Post by aicolainen »

A LB or MB could easily be my EDC knife on most workdays and to some degree on my spare time, it's just that the DF2 is even better for me.
A Manbug Salt was my primary EDC for over a year and I had no issues with the size. In the end I found the blade to be too specialized. It was utterly fantastic in some tasks, but left me seriously wanting in others.
I can easily one hand operate the gender bugs, I'm even at the point where I can almost spydieflick them, so the handle size isn't a real concern for me, but the DF2 takes it up a notch without sacrificing anything. I carry both clipless in my back pocket and while bigger, the DF2 is still small enough that I don't notice it. Any bigger - and I will.
Besides the improved grip, the DF2 can be had with a k390 wharncliffe PE blade that is a perfect match for this type of knife.

I still have my MB Salt and have since acquired a LB HB SE Salt. I wouldn't say they're indispensable at this point, as I don't use them that much, but if I need corrosion resistance in an easy to carry package (e.g. swim trousers carry) or a companion knife to a primary carry with more belly - these are still very handy options. If your primary knife has any amount of belly one of these could be a very worthwhile secondary knife if you find yourself cutting zip ties, pallet straps, opening blister packs or boxes with fragile content with any regularity. The tip control and ability to get under stuff is so so worth the minimal added bulk.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:37 pm
my ladyhawk sometimes rides in the "secret" pocket of my tilley into places that don't like freedom. it makes a great little companion for places that are relatively safe from survival scenarios playing out.
That is a genius idea! I wear a Tilley at work every day (I have multiples - they need washing frequently in the tropics 🤢). What an excellent excuse to buy more knives, as I currently only have 1 ladybug.

As for what I use mine for - keeping in my ‘going out with my kids’ backpack, for the inevitable moment when something needs cutting but I’m surrounded by sheeple with kids and don’t want to a) start a stampede, b) have Armed Response Police called on me for using a knife that looks even faintly like something dangerous, or c) cause someone to spontaneously soil themselves and combust in terror. I have lost count of the amount of times someone has laughed when I pull out an innocuous little Ladybug SE Salt and start cutting something.

Somewhat ironic that it is just as lethal as any other similar length of razor sharp metal 😂 Great little knife.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I often carry my Ladybug or Manbug as my only edc knife. If I have a larger knife, the LB or MB is with me. I keep a LB salt in my pajama bottoms pocket in case of an emergency at night. It weighs nothing and takes up no space, but is highly capable.

People have skinned deer with these things and I saw a video of a woman skinning an elk or something with one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

I have a Manbug and a Gerber Shard (scraper/pry/multi tool) on a small 'biner that rides on my keychain. Mostly, they're there in case I leave the house in a hurry, or if someone around me needs one.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:29 am
I can easily one hand operate the gender bugs,

😂🤣😅

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've carried the K390 LB almost every day since it dropped. Depending on what main knife you are carrying that day it's nice to use the LB for some things. When camping I used it for opening food so I could just leave it in the food bag at night and keep my main knife with me in the tent.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Going back and reading information online and in the original catalogues, the knifes main purpose was a keychain sized edc folder, able to be carried attached your keychain by the lanyard hole, and great for light duty utility, but versatile edge geometry with some slight belly (now of course it comes in all types of blade configurations). as apart of a back up/emergency/stash kit people have mentioned I could see making sense too. Though I don’t like two finger grip handles, clipless folders(bottom pocket carry), or keychain carrying, I do love the jester model. It just has a charm. Some days I wish I didn’t sell my stainless handle pe jester.
:bug-red-white
z1r

Post by z1r »

My ZDP LB is an almost EDC knife. It is super nice to have since I work in an office and busting out my PM2 "disturbs" people, so I sheepishly produce my LB whenever those easily offended are near. They are always surprised at how capable such a "cute" knife is. Whenever I am around less sheepish folk, I substitute my ZDP DF2.

All my keychains have a Hawkbill LB attached. My truck keys have a MB Rescue on them.

No end to the usefulness these knives provide.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I carry them in places where anything bigger is frowned upon. I keep one in my car and one in my work bag for the one or two days a year, I leave the house with mismatched socks and no knife.

I used a hawkbill ladybug as a box opener for a year in a warehouse. Opened thousands of boxes and packages with it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

kennbr34 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:36 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:54 pm
And which has a much thinner grind and thinner stock so it cuts circles around the Ladybug.
What kind of stockman? The Ladybug is already so thin, it's hard to imagine much thinner.
Here are a few. Coast junior stockman with my ZDP Ladybug.

Schrade USA junior stockman.

GEC 34 Bladeforum Traditional forum knife for 2023 (secondary pen blade)

SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Well I have the MB Salt on my keychain and some days it gets used more than my Dfly Salt so I can only imagine that a LB Salt would see a lot of work too…word around the house is my niece is getting me one for Christmas 😉
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Big fan of the Manbug. Just a bit beefier than the ladybug. My main edc is a manbug salt. It’s a machine.

I do have a ladybug in superblue and it’s what people call sharp, very sharp.
MrBerle

Post by MrBerle »

I've had a Ladybug 3 PE living on my keychain for at least 10 years. It is one of my favorite knives and i use it every day. I have yet to meet an orange, an envelope, an apple or a packaging that can withstand its might! It is the perfect keychain knife.

Together with the Civilian they are my constant EDC. Often accompanied by a Manix, an Endura, a Tasman, an Ayoob or whatever the situation calls for.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

I use Manbug, which is not that much different in size to Ladybug. I absolutely love that knife, it is great for cutting jobs in nonpermissive environment where any bigger blade would raise unwanted attention. What use does my Manbug has during the day?

Let`s see my yesterday urban environment use:

1. Cutting my daily apple in the office for my snack and opening pack of nuts and dried meat - knives not allowed in my segregated area, can be fired from the job but fortunately no one ever raises eyebrow over my Manbug, Squeak or Urban (can be my cheery personality as well though)...
2. Opening some boxes and received mail
3. Cutting some rope\plug tobacco to fill my after work briar pipe in a pub. Or just to cut flake to use one and half sheet of it when not in time for full 1.5 hour of smoke.
4. Cutting pizza, me and my fiancé ordered for Tuesday Movie Night (too lazy to cook yesterday)...

Usually I pull out K390 Manbug for smaller cutting chores due to it`s maneuverability and being non threatening to NKP (NonKnifePeople).
People who are not comfy around knives find it cute and like to learn something about the brand - Manbug was able to "sell" some Spyderco knives due to it`s cute factor and useability to both my bosses (One pink Dfly by my manager and one orange by my supervisor).

I pair it with bigger blades (Chap, Para2, Manix) and it lives happily in my fifth jeans pocket or shirt chest pocket, ready for any small cutting task where bigger blade would be unnecessary... Frankly, I rarely have real use for a bigger blade, more likely I just look for opportunities to use them...

Perhaps it would be fun little project to shoot some pics and show folks what this little critter can actually do.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I know this is a ladybug thread but if you have not seen Jazz’s Manbug Salt video it is very good review and shows the capabilities of this little big knife. He even goes through his sharpening.

https://youtu.be/qgUn1xWYPAQ?si=iCsVL0bGFQb7KKOh
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:44 pm
kennbr34 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:36 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:54 pm
And which has a much thinner grind and thinner stock so it cuts circles around the Ladybug.
What kind of stockman? The Ladybug is already so thin, it's hard to imagine much thinner.
Here are a few. Coast junior stockman with my ZDP Ladybug.

Schrade USA junior stockman.

GEC 34 Bladeforum Traditional forum knife for 2023 (secondary pen blade)

Cool to see a Coast! That was my very first "real" pocket knife. It was basically a Buck 110 copy. Bought it out of a local hardware store called Eagels in '99. Long since lost. I have a few Old Timers that my grandpa gave me too. Razor sharp... Aparrently he used them to castrate hogs. Still have one of them, a Dog Leg Jack. Only knives I have thinner than those (besides at the tip) are some cheap Chinese traditional patterns.