What would be the odds?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Stoney87

What would be the odds?

Post by Stoney87 »

I’m curious if there would ever be the chance of a Byrd variant of the shaman? Same ergos but I wouldn’t expect the compression lock. Give it a lock back so the price point stays low. Maybe there’s something similar that I’m not thinking of. I handled some birds and was really impressed, I also handed a shaman and am enamored. A combo of the two would be awesome.
holoblue

Re: What would be the odds?

Post by holoblue »

Hey Stoney, there is no such knife currently available from Spyderco or Byrd. However, there are some alternatives which you might like

The Byrd Raven 2 is a lockback knife that has a similar blade shape and size to the Shaman, but with a different handle material and design. It has a CTS BD1 stainless steel blade with a full flat grind and a G-10 handle with a four-position pocket clip1.
The Spyderco Stretch 2 XL Lightweight is a lockback knife that has a similar handle shape and ergonomics to the Shaman, but with a different blade shape and material. It has a VG-10 stainless steel blade with a full flat grind and a FRN handle with a four-position pocket clip2.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

That Raven has thick blade stock similar to the Shaman too. Definitely isn't afraid to work hard.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

Maybe I need to handle a raven 2. I haven’t seen one in person, I handled a shaman and loved it. If the raven is similar I’ll have to look closer into into it. Thanks for the input on it!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

It doesn't have the nice contouring of the Shaman. Actually not sure anything does. General size and stoutness is similar but that's about it in my opinion.