Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LuckyM

Re: Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Post by LuckyM »

OK, thanks. I have a DragonFly and a Lil Native, not a Delica yet. With the DragonFly if I'm gripping (handle + choil) I'm getting 4 fingers, so looks like I'm going to be adding a Micro Jimbo to my collection. I love the Yojimbo 2. Wish I had the 1.
max808

Post by max808 »

These have been delayed again to late December...
bokercatalogmicrojimbo001.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

Spot the difference...
vnMYClE(3).png
YoMinbo01.jpg
YoMinbo01.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
YoMinbo02.jpg
YoMinbo02.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
QzH67an(1).jpg
Thank you MJ & Team Spyderco, this feels like an appropriate holiday present.
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I lost my Dfly Wharn on Wednesday and that’s makes me getting this even more of a done deal
max808

Post by max808 »

Have any MicroJimbo been spotted stateside yet? If so please share with the class if you don't mind. My memories with it in Amsterdam are starting to fade and I'm honestly jonesing. If I could trade in my fractured but whole CruJimbo for scientific purposes and get even a small discount on one of these, I'd be tempted to get a spare. As people like to say around here, you can't stand on one leg... at least not for too long.
max808

Post by max808 »

These were supposed to be ready for shipping today but have been delayed again to early February.
Screenshot_2023-12-22-13-40-31-902_com.mi.globalbrowser.jpg
max808

Post by max808 »

That McBee is starting to grab my interest more and more. If it had a compression lock instead of a liner lock it would live in my fifth pocket already.
LuckyM

Post by LuckyM »

Wow! I've been waiting and waiting for this little guy to hit the market. I wonder what is causing all the delays. To me it would have been just as good to re-release
the Gen 1 but with a wire clip.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

LuckyM wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:05 am
Wow! I've been waiting and waiting for this little guy to hit the market. I wonder what is causing all the delays. To me it would have been just as good to re-release
the Gen 1 but with a wire clip.
Yes and yes
Flash

Post by Flash »

I love small sub3” Wharncliffe style blades and the compression lock is my favourite locking mechanism, so naturally the Microjimbo should be a no brainer, a guaranteed day one purchase for me and one that I can say I’ve been looking forward to since it was introduced in reveal 13 …but upon closer inspection and more time to ponder the details, I’m starting to have doubts about the design…

Your index finger looks like it will be situated annoying far away from the edge (like about an inch) which is not what I like in such a compact design where every mm counts.
The 3.7mm stock and flat grind is not going to lend itself particularly well to a fine edge geometry, certainly not after the course of a few good sharpenings. I might be on my own here but I think smaller designs of knives should have smaller (lower) geometries relative to their decrease in size. Spyderco flipped the script on this one and has gone from a hollow to a flat for the smaller design.

And I think the intended price is a little too high.

I don’t know, maybe Spyderco has left a bit “too” much time for me to ponder and consider this one. 😅
Flash

Post by Flash »

I do like that they have given it the well-suited wire clip and not just lumped on the overwhelmingly large and ill matched spoon clip like they did on the lil native Slippie, because you know, lanyard holes are that important. 😆
LuckyM

Post by LuckyM »

I'm in complete agreement Flash. I'm also worried about the fit of the handle in the hand. It looks like it's going to be possibly short to the point where the pinky finger will not have any purchase on it. My Lil Native is like that, just a tad to short. I've been looking at the index finger situation also that you mentioned and I'm just hoping that it's the same as the Yo2. From the pictures though it looks like it's not going to be, so I guess I'm really hoping that the pictures are just a optical illusion, 😆.

I might have to just sit on my hands on this one and wait for a re-release of the Gen 1. I'm really surprised that Spyderco hasn't done that yet. It's a classic.
ajl808

Post by ajl808 »

Last night I put a 6.22” dinner roll in a full Filipino grip and have it a good squeeze. I placed the roll on top of an image of the MicroJimbo blown up to 100% scale. The forefinger indent in the bread was in almost the exact same spot as the MicroJimbo’s finger choil. I would have taken a pic, but my wife made me eat the dinner roll.
LuckyM

Post by LuckyM »

😆 🤣 😂 That's Great! 👍
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

KSF has 3 MicroJimbo Satin in stock. These are trickling in to U.S. dealers.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/spyderco ... ck-c264gp/
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

The MicroJimbo in satin finish is finally shipping. The all-black versions are supposed to follow soon.

Huge thanks to Spyderco for allowing me to contribute another design to the lineup!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mike,

Thanx much for the design. I just received my production sample. Good job.

sal
LuckyM

Post by LuckyM »

Excellent. Thanks alot for the update. It's like Christmas morning round two.😁
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I handled this today at my brick and mortar, definitely not a SD knife as the pinky doesn’t really fit well. And I have very medium hands. I like it, and may still grab one as an EDC but I don’t think the three finger grip lends to the slashing as the Yo2 does
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah, a very cool little utility/edc knife. It's much more versatile that way anyway.