Annual Spyderco Product Guide (Catalog)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the Printed 2024 Spyderco Product Guide mailed to you?

Yes
66%
No (I’m happy with the Digital copy)
23%
Don’t care
11%

Total votes: 64

Jalaketu

Re: Annual Spyderco Product Guide (Catalog)

Post by Jalaketu »

For something as comprehensive as the whole catalog, I'd prefer printed. It feels nice to flip through once in a while.

However, I'm fine with digital-only reveals. For the most recent one, I just printed out the pages I was interested in and they were to scale. The reveal is too short for me to flip through more than once.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That makes sense.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I love the printed catalogues. I have trouble getting them and even if ordered they dont seem to show up. We sit around the table and pass it back and forth discussing the knives. It wouldn't be the same with a tablet as they simply don't respond the same if trying to flip from page to page. Please keep them, and charge me if it is a cost factor. Happy to pay for them.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:28 am
This is not a nice comment, and I've never made such a comment here. If the catalogs are too expensive, so be it, tell us. Don't tell us that you stopped printing them because we don't want them anymore, and want digital. We don't believe that, and know better.
In all fairness, until you've worked a major trade show, unpacked a pallet of catalog boxes, carried them to the back of the booth to store them during the show, then re-palletized half of them to ship them back, you don't fully understand the paradigm shift. Similarly, until you've done the math for shipping those catalog boxes both ways, you can't understand the deeper effect of that shift. If your solution is to print fewer catalogs, you also haven't crunched the numbers regarding economy of scale in offset printing and its effect on individual unit price.

I love printed catalogs as much as you do and have been deeply involved in publishing catalogs for various companies since 1994. I have also watched firsthand as companies like Paladin Press struggled to keep up, stubbornly clung to tradition, and ultimately closed their doors because they didn't adapt.

Believe what you want, but this issue is not as simple as you make it seem.

Stay safe,

Mike
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Mike, I'm certainly not here to argue with you, or any other Spyderco employee. As I said, I've never made a comment that could be construed as negative towards the company before, as it is my favorite brand. I read quite a few posts on the forum that are more argumentative, and go without rebuttal. I will leave it alone then, but you are saying twice in your response that cost is a factor. All I said is, that being the case, tell us they have become too expensive, or just not worth it anymore.
chrisclarkux

Post by chrisclarkux »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:58 pm
chrisclarkux wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:08 am
Everyone repeats the "fact" that all pictures are life-size.

Try that with a Lil' Lum
Good catch! :grin-squint

:winking-tongue the exact moment when everything you thought was true proves false