Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Re: Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Matus wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:33 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:10 am
WHY NOT THE HOLLOW GRIND?
For a reason not explicitly mentioned by Spyderco, we have not seen a Hollow grind on any of the knives that were then leater introduced in (also) LC200N steel. I would be curios to know as well.
I considered it could be a reason attributed to lc200n steel because as you mentioned, haven’t seen spyderco or any other manufacturer hollow grind a blade made of it yet, at least I haven’t. I do very much love the hollow grind on that catcherman blade shape though. And ideally would like to own one with a nice thin behind the edge hollow grind on a fillet folder.
:bug-red-white
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am going to make a guess that it has to do with the grinding process. Flat grind is going to be simpler than a well made hollow grind. And if a process that works on H1 / H2 can not be easily transferred to say LC200N than it just may not be worth the extra cost to do so.

I have frown upon hollow grinds for quite a while, but have learned to appreciate them. Still - I don't consider them universal and most buyers if given a choice between a cheaper flat grind or a more expensive hollow grind will just pick the flat grind. Again - just my speculation.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:41 am
RamZar wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:36 pm
I hope Spyderco makes a good 2000 of these so that people can get one and a spare.

RamZar, what is your best guess on a release date for these based on time from reveal to release of other recent sprints?

Your guess would be as good as mine. There aren’t that many new models coming out of Japan so perhaps sooner rather than later. I just hope it comes out in 2023 for $112.00 before the annual price increases.
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Cmon black Friday release. I need a Christmas present.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:05 am
So had an older mate who is a huge fishing nut, and he saw these somewhere and has asked about buying one.

Not being in the states or a sprint chaser, so how would say a sprint of these work….(ie; where would you buy one ??)
I regularly buy sprints and I currently live in Singapore. The best sites for shipping sprints overseas that I’ve come across are Knifecentre and St Nicks. A lot of the other ones like BHQ and Knivesshipfree only seem to post inside the continental USA. You can circumvent this with a drop shipping address, but that is a faff I’ve only done once and it was (for me) more effort and cost than it was worth.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

And an honourable mention to Spyderco themselves- they ship globally at very reasonable prices.
- Al

Dream knives -
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Fingers crossed I get one!!
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:08 pm
standy99 wrote:
I regularly buy sprints and I currently live in Singapore. The best sites for shipping sprints overseas that I’ve come across are Knifecentre and St Nicks. A lot of the other ones like BHQ and Knivesshipfree only seem to post inside the continental USA. You can circumvent this with a drop shipping address, but that is a faff I’ve only done once and it was (for me) more effort and cost than it was worth.

In my experience US vendors who actually DO ship internationally often only do so though if one at least spends 200 USD (KC, National knives...)

Then there are those forwarding services - one gets an US address which in fact is only a PO box and they then forward the item to wherever one lives.
The one I used to use ("myus") worked well for a while, but then they removed knives (even tiny folders) from their list... no longer allowed... :woozy
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:59 am
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:08 pm
standy99 wrote:

In my experience US vendors who actually DO ship internationally often only do so though if one at least spends 200 USD (KC, National knives...)

Then there are those forwarding services - one gets an US address which in fact is only a PO box and they then forward the item to wherever one lives.
The one I used to use ("myus") worked well for a while, but then they removed knives (even tiny folders) from their list... no longer allowed... :woozy
I wonder if the minimum spend thing is country specific as KC shipped me a $9 Rockjumper (I used a $50 off loyalty card) a couple of weeks back, but I’m not in the EU here 🤔

Yeah, those post forwarding services are great until they’re not. I had a $40 toy sent to mine and then had to pay $60 to get it shipped 😱 once it’s in their care they’ve got you by the short and curlys.
- Al

Dream knives -
Matus

Post by Matus »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:09 pm
And an honourable mention to Spyderco themselves- they ship globally at very reasonable prices.
Well, probably just stating the obvious, but as long as Spyderco online prices stay where they are, then this is not going to be a primary choice for most of international byuers. As an example - Catcherman ist $160 from Spyderco but $112 from BladeHQ ...
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Matus wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:12 am
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:09 pm
Well, probably just stating the obvious, but as long as Spyderco online prices stay where they are, then this is not going to be a primary choice for most of international byuers. As an example - Catcherman ist $160 from Spyderco but $112 from BladeHQ ...
I was thinking more along the lines of mules and SFO only stuff - the shipping to Singapore is really reasonable. I get why you wouldn’t necessarily shop there for your other knives at full RRP unless you were forces.
- Al

Dream knives -
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

TBH I'm rather happy with the shipping and tax/duty rates when importing Spydercos to Germany by going through the big online sellers. I tried knivesshipfree and knife center and I always end up with costs close to German street prices (which are of theoretical nature due to limited availability most of the times). Only lamnia seems to have EU street prices that are comparable to US street prices in my experience.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Hmm 🤔 I think I might be able to convince my wife that it would make the perfect pizza cutter knife. Now I just got to go and dull that darned monstrosity of a wheel/pizza cutter till it’s useless.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

VandymanG wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:41 am
Hmm 🤔 I think I might be able to convince my wife that it would make the perfect pizza cutter knife. Now I just got to go and dull that darned monstrosity of a wheel/pizza cutter till it’s useless.
I recommend simply ‘losing it’ 😈
- Al

Dream knives -
Matus

Post by Matus »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:18 am
I was thinking more along the lines of mules and SFO only stuff - the shipping to Singapore is really reasonable. I get why you wouldn’t necessarily shop there for your other knives at full RRP unless you were forces.
Yeah, my apologies to Spyderco. I should have worded my answer better. I did not want to punch down, rather than just state the plain fact. I suppose that that have no other way round than offering their products at full MSRP (unless some explicit discounts are applicable). It is good to hear that they offer reasonable world-wide shipping.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:20 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:41 am
With LC200N being proven to be a great blade steel for fully serrated blades I would very much love to have at least a couple of the Catcherman in full SE. My older AUS-8, Full SE Catcherman from the mid to late 90s is still one of my most used Spyderco blades I've ever owned.

Oh sure I also like the Combo Edged variant as well. But I would have far more use for a full Spyderedged version.

The Catcherman is not only a great fishing/outdoor type blade but it's also great for kitchen/culinary use as well. But personally I would have many more uses for one in full SE.
With the edge length and 1.8mm stock thickness this is going to be among the best foleing kitchen knives Spydeco has put out. I used my C95 Manix for some basic stuff today and it did well, but the catcherman offers another inch of edge and is over twice as thin at the spine for comparison!
Vivi it absolutely amazed me when I started using my AUS-8, Full SE version of the Catcherman a few years ago for food applications. As you mentioned that extra edge length along with the blade geometry both are close to perfect for most food cutting chores I've encountered.

They thinned the blade quite a bit when they started using the MBS-26 steel over the AUS-8. But they are both great for kitchen chores. And when I bought my very first Catcherman way back in about 2004 I think it was I had no idea that it would be good for anything aside what it was mainly designed for ( filleting and field dressing fish).

It is amazing how so many of Spyderco's great models have so many uses for everyday chores.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Is it just me, or is anyone else checking this thread twice daily in the hope of seeing a drop date for this knife?
- Al

Dream knives -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:00 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:20 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:41 am
Vivi it absolutely amazed me when I started using my AUS-8, Full SE version of the Catcherman a few years ago for food applications. As you mentioned that extra edge length along with the blade geometry both are close to perfect for most food cutting chores I've encountered.

They thinned the blade quite a bit when they started using the MBS-26 steel over the AUS-8. But they are both great for kitchen chores. And when I bought my very first Catcherman way back in about 2004 I think it was I had no idea that it would be good for anything aside what it was mainly designed for ( filleting and field dressing fish).

It is amazing how so many of Spyderco's great models have so many uses for everyday chores.
JD and others who actually have experience with a Catcherman already:

It must be great (for a folder) for food prep indeed, but where are its limits when it comes to general EDC / outdoor use?
When does the blade perhaps get too fragile or to "flexy"?
What are the more or less reasonable folder tasks a Catcherman should better NOT be pressed into performing those?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:23 am
Is it just me, or is anyone else checking this thread twice daily in the hope of seeing a drop date for this knife?
Twice? That must be just you. I admire your self-control.
I am probably averaging way above 20.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

LeDe wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:47 am
JoviAl wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:23 am
Twice? That must be just you. I admire your self-control.
I am probably averaging way above 20.
😂

Well played!
- Al

Dream knives -