Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:59 pm
super pumped. day 1 purchase for me. been asking for a sprint for years. didnt want to pay $200-250 for an aus8 user off ebay. So glad Spyderco is bringing this back.

I've never been too big on fishing but I'll legit buy myself a new rod and tacklebox once I get my catcherman.
Let’s Go Vivi 🎣 !!! Don’t forget the kid’s rod-n-reels cause trust me they’ll be tagging along 😉…I’m super pumped to get one for fishing and food prep 👏
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:23 am
I hope they're making a gazillion of these. I'll be extremely happy to get my hands on one, but I really hope there is enough out there that I can land two. For something this rare, that has the potential for so much use, it would be very comforting to hav a spare sitting around.
You and me both - I’d love to be able to have an heir and a spare of these. Maybe even one to give as a gift. Spyderco make such excellent gifts!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I've recently got back into fishing, so this is perfect timing. I've been right behind JD begging for a Catcherman re-release for years, so I am super pumped for this. Definitely buying a handful.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Don't need one. But always wanted one. Definitely in for 1.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With LC200N being proven to be a great blade steel for fully serrated blades I would very much love to have at least a couple of the Catcherman in full SE. My older AUS-8, Full SE Catcherman from the mid to late 90s is still one of my most used Spyderco blades I've ever owned.

Oh sure I also like the Combo Edged variant as well. But I would have far more use for a full Spyderedged version.

The Catcherman is not only a great fishing/outdoor type blade but it's also great for kitchen/culinary use as well. But personally I would have many more uses for one in full SE.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I'm very happy that this sprint coincides with me having embraced CE. I don't think I've would have passed on this knife if it was released earlier, but just a year or two back it certainly would't have been such a clear cut decision.
Probably similar to how I would have assessed a SE variant today; not ideal, but too special to miss out on the opportunity.

For being such a specialized knife there seems to be quite some interest for it, at least on this forum. Hope it doesn't catch on amongst the Instagram crowd and that there's enough for everyone who really "needs" one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:41 am
With LC200N being proven to be a great blade steel for fully serrated blades I would very much love to have at least a couple of the Catcherman in full SE. My older AUS-8, Full SE Catcherman from the mid to late 90s is still one of my most used Spyderco blades I've ever owned.

Oh sure I also like the Combo Edged variant as well. But I would have far more use for a full Spyderedged version.

The Catcherman is not only a great fishing/outdoor type blade but it's also great for kitchen/culinary use as well. But personally I would have many more uses for one in full SE.
With the edge length and 1.8mm stock thickness this is going to be among the best foleing kitchen knives Spydeco has put out. I used my C95 Manix for some basic stuff today and it did well, but the catcherman offers another inch of edge and is over twice as thin at the spine for comparison!
:unicorn
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I hope Spyderco makes a good 2000 of these so that people can get one and a spare.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

I'd be happy with one. Do sprint ever make it to Europe?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

LeDe wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:56 pm

Luckily they do! :smlling-eyes
(Differently too - of course - exclusives (I am pretty certain that there has been no European dealer Exclusive so far - hope this will change some day... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95535 (thread/poll by PaloArt))
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:04 am

For being such a specialized knife there seems to be quite some interest for it, at least on this forum. Hope it doesn't catch on amongst the Instagram crowd and that there's enough for everyone who really "needs" one.

Oh man... I´ve never, ever been on Instagram, Facebook or the like, but that said: I am still one of those wanting a Catcherman, but if I "need" it the way a fisherman would... probably not. :grimace

Sure thing though is that I would still use it a lot.. after all I am one of those "weirdos" who uses most of his Spydies for food prep quite a bit... ;)

And trying really thin stock in a really long bladed folder (something I have been advocating for) is just intriguing...

Plus: My thin line Endura made me appreciate comboedges once more...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:54 pm
aicolainen wrote:

Oh man... I´ve never, ever been on Instagram, Facebook or the like, but that said: I am still one of those wanting a Catcherman, but if I "need" it the way a fisherman would... probably not. :grimace

Sure thing though is that I would still use it a lot.. after all I am one of those "weirdos" who uses most of his Spydies for food prep quite a bit... ;)

And trying really thin stock in a really long bladed folder (something I have been advocating for) is just intriguing...

Food prep is most of my use if I am being honest. A set of a Spydiechef, a Catcherman and a Roc would make quite a good travel cooking kit!

Kinda of topic, the Roc never ever seems to get mentionned. Any idea why?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:44 pm
LeDe wrote:

(Differently too - of course - exclusives (I am pretty certain that there has been no European dealer Exclusive so far - hope this will change some day... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95535 (thread/poll by PaloArt))
Except for the Heinnie Haynes exclusives, I think you're mostly correct. And I too hope to see that change.

And @LeDe, while sprint runs and flash batches do seem to trickle out to european dealers, it seems to often be in very limited quantity. I think the Catchermans will move fast.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:44 pm
LeDe wrote:

Except for the Heinnie Haynes exclusives, I think you're mostly correct. And I too hope to see that change.

And @LeDe, while sprint runs and flash batches do seem to trickle out to european dealers, it seems to often be in very limited quantity. I think the Catchermans will move fast.
Thanks @Aicolainen.

What do you think is our best bet to get our hands on one?

Worst comes to worse, I'll try to survive with my current collection...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:54 pm
aicolainen wrote:

I'm not a big fan of FB and IG either, but I have accounts on both and have seen enough to know that much of the knife content there is about projecting an image, following trends, fads and whatever, and much less about actual use. The trend is pretty much endemic all over the SOMEs at this point, and the reason I hardly consume any knife content outside of this forum anymore.

I think my Catcherman too, if I get hold of one, will see more food prep than anything else. Looks pretty ideal for such use IMO. But, I do fair bit of fishing and I think this will be a great addition to my fishing kit as well.
For backpacking with a fishing rod, this could be the ideal multi use, lightweight folding knife for combined food prep and fish processing.
Matus

Post by Matus »

LeDe wrote:
I am not saying that every single Sprint model can easily be bought in Europe, but recently has Lamnia be doing a good job in this regard. Check their webpage and go to 'To be available soon' - you will find both the Catcherman and also the rest of upcoming sprints (S90V Military 2, Damascus / Nashijin Stretch XL).

Also - before I knew that the CruWear Ayoob SE would eventually be available from multiple European vendors - I have approached Maxi (shop owner) of knife-lounge.de who is a super nice and friendly person and asked whether she can order one for me - and she did (before even she knew the final price or delivery date). So that is also a possible way to get a knife that otherwise may not find its way to Europe.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:36 pm
I hope Spyderco makes a good 2000 of these so that people can get one and a spare.

RamZar, what is your best guess on a release date for these based on time from reveal to release of other recent sprints?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

So had an older mate who is a huge fishing nut, and he saw these somewhere and has asked about buying one.

Not being in the states or a sprint chaser, so how would say a sprint of these work….(ie; where would you buy one ??)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

WHY NOT THE HOLLOW GRIND?
:bug-red-white
Matus

Post by Matus »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:10 am
WHY NOT THE HOLLOW GRIND?
For a reason not explicitly mentioned by Spyderco, we have not seen a Hollow grind on any of the knives that were then leater introduced in (also) LC200N steel. I would be curios to know as well.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...