Your Username...why did you choose it?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Wandering_About

Re: Your Username...why did you choose it?

Post by Wandering_About »

I picked this username because it describes a key tendency of myself. I prefer to be out and about rather than stuck in one place. Whether or not I have a specific goal or destination is another issue. Usually the journey is the prize for me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

When my wife and I were expecting our firstborn (15+ years ago), one evening we were playing around with baby names. After a while we got bored and started to invent the most silly names. "Brock O'Lee Gruber" was one of them, for a son. A joke of course! Fortunately we got two girls and I was never tempted to actually use that name...

Until the one day I needed a unique forum name... I found it hillarious because it sounded quite macho, but on the other hand referred to a goofy vegetable! Perfect for the interwebz! 🤪
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've got to say Hans, when I first joined the forum and saw you're user name... I knew I'd like this guy!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:24 am
I've got to say Hans, when I first joined the forum and saw you're user name... I knew I'd like this guy!
Haha! Cheers mate! 👍🍻
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Mine is a bit tough to explain in english, but I'll try.

In primary school my favourite teacher was a Polish Language teacher. He also taught at a Trade School or something like that and one time he told us a story of the type of misspellings his students made there.

One of those was a truly horrendous spelling of one of the cities in Silesia in Poland - Chorzów - spelled "hożuf" (pronounciation is the same but pretty much every error that could be made was made, even capitalization :D).

From there I switched the polish-font-specific "ż" to "rz" (homophones) to be accepted internationally and added the second f at the end to make it more "internetty" et voila - "horzuff". Been my nick in non-business stuff ever since
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

One day while out for a long trail run in the stifling Singapore heat my buddy asked me how I was doing. I replied “mate, they call me Sensation-Al” (Alex being my name, and at that moment I was far from living my best life). Since that fateful day whenever my buddy asks me how I am, I answer with something irreverent ending in ‘Al’. I’ve been ‘colloqui-Al’, ‘whimsic-al’ ‘Geni-Al’, ‘Humb-Al’, ‘Critic-Al’, ‘Coloni-Al’, ‘Fract-Al’… the list is long and mainly daft. When I first signed up on here I was feeling especially cheerful, so played on ‘jovial’.

In real life everyone just calls me Al apart from my brothers.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Father of twin sons
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Well I absolutely love Salt knives and the name represents a Salt 2/of course the Caribbean and my favorite the Dragonfly…in hindsight I should’ve just gone with Salty cause it takes forever to log in and that’s what most everyone calls me anyway 😉
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I like Scandi knives, duh! Spyderco has never made a knife with a scandi grind have they?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I'm thinking of starting a thread to help me pick a nickname. I feel as if I'm missing out. I play one game where my nickname is Orion. My favorite constellation. My initials are JAS. Jazzy Jeff is already taken. Some old DJ. There is also the really cool sounding Ice Pack. Which is what I use at least once a week to mend my sports injuries. Or if the simple username Jeff is not taken, I could just use that.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Jeff Amateur Sharpener :rofl

Kidding brother!! First thing that came to mind with the initials haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

😂 That's accurate though!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Ramonade came to me as I was still playing video games. I must have been 18 years old and always had different usernames in each games. I started playing League of Legends, and became pretty good at it. After a streak of wins in which I literally crushed my opponents everytime, I said to myself "La vache, je les ai ramoné !"

Which means "Dang, I sweeped their chimney". The word "ramonage" meaning "chimney sweeping". In french, if we talk about "ramoner" something, this can have many meanings :squinting-tongue . Usually implies a tight hole and a lot of force.

I then decided to call myself Ramonade, a word that does not exist but is built to be a noun meaning that my opponents are in for a ride :rofl :rofl
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well dang Robin, I thought it was some kind of Rambo/Gatorade play on words. Which doesn't make any sense now that I look at it. Glad you explained it!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Robin , thanks for explaining , makes me a little nervous! 🫣 Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:04 pm
I like Scandi knives, duh! Spyderco has never made a knife with a scandi grind have they?

I can't think of any in current production, but the Wolfspyder, Bushcraft G10, and Nilakka are discontinued models that come to mind.
northvanbamboo

Post by northvanbamboo »

My user name dates back to the time when I used to work for this really cool skateboard company called Rayne, we were even featured on Discovery Channel!

We used to press composites from bamboo and mineral fibers like basalt, carbon, kevlar and fiberglass. We were the nerds of the skateboarding world haha.. we had lots of bamboo scraps and I felt bad about tossing them into the dumpster.

Since we were based in North Vancouver, BC, Canada, I came up with this email address to post scraps to the local craigslist, offering the offcuts for people to pick up.

Somehow I kept the email address after the company moved to Washington state in US and it also became my instagram account name 😎

There is some great stories about your guy's names, I really got a kick out of it, keep this thread rolling 👌
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Mine is pretty mundane: I live on the coast.