So excited for this drop!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Striple765Rider

So excited for this drop!!!!

Post by Striple765Rider »

Man this thing is gorgeous and in an incredible steel!! Definitely gonna grab one of these! My buddy has a Native 5 exclusive with white scales and Rex 45 blade and I’ve always drooled over that thing even though I do NOT like how small it is and the awful lock back action. This is perfect because I LOVE the Manix 2 size and ball bearing action! The price Is incredible too. How do they sell these for less than the plain S30V versions?? Is the G10 with steel liners make up that much of a difference in price to come out more than the more premium steel? I’m no knife maker but I’d imagine that Rex 45 has got to cost more to buy and work with than S30?

Anyway, is anybody else stoked about this release??

https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-manix ... whbk2.html
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Fireman

Re: So excited for this drop!!!!

Post by Fireman »

A stock “Storm Trooper” knife. Bad @$$
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

Yep - stoke is getting high. I've been using my SPY27 Manix2LW for essentially everything and have been surprised by how much I like the platform (still think it's pretty ugly, ha). A really functional and hard-wearing design... Add a relatively hard steel like REX 45 and the promise of being able to blend in with the Sith and it becomes a no brainer.
Striple765Rider

Ha ha ha yeah the storm trooper look is definitely cool. I’m not normally a fan of the DLC coated blades but in this combo it’s awesome.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm definitely stoked for this. I love the Para 3 I have, and I want the manix even more, because it's thinner stock with a wider blade. The white FRN is awesome too. I don't normally go for DLC/TiCN coatings, but it just looks too good on this platform. I'll end up buying the satin one too whenever they release it. With the other new Golden LW models coming out, I hope this gives GPK more ideas. I would totally be down for a white FRN Native Chief LW in Rex45. I also long for a rex45 Delica (or Hap40 at higher hardness like the rex45 Golden sprints) with white FRN, but that might break the Internet.
--Jeremy
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have the Native 5 LW version. I haven't carried it like I thought I would. No surprise there haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kerrcobra wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:19 pm
I also long for a rex45 Delica (or Hap40 at higher hardness like the rex45 Golden sprints) with white FRN, but that might break the Internet.
Only way they're going to do higher hardness HAP40 is if they do away with the SS cladding. I don't think that's out of the question like it used to be since Seki did Cruwear without cladding
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:32 pm
Only way they're going to do higher hardness HAP40 is if they do away with the SS cladding. I don't think that's out of the question like it used to be since Seki did Cruwear without cladding

Has anybody seen Hap40 without cladding? All the examples I can think of (be it pocket knives or kitchen knives) have cladding. I got the impression that non-cladded Japanese steels are a special thing just for Spyderco. Even then, ZDP and Super Blue are no longer available as a monosteel (could be wrong though).
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My white Dragonfly didn't stay white very long. Pass.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:58 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:32 pm

Has anybody seen Hap40 without cladding? All the examples I can think of (be it pocket knives or kitchen knives) have cladding. I got the impression that non-cladded Japanese steels are a special thing just for Spyderco. Even then, ZDP and Super Blue are no longer available as a monosteel (could be wrong though).
You're probably right. HAP40 without cladding may not exist
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Love the look. Rex 45 is not my steel, but it's very attractive.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:34 pm
Love the look. Rex 45 is not my steel, but it's very attractive.
I’m in the same boat on this one - looks awesome but would be a murky brown handle and a rusty blade after a day at work in the tropics 😞 I’d REALLY like one too, but I just can’t justify the spend to myself if I can’t use it.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That knife looks good. I didn't think I'd like it, but I actually do. I think it is the black with the white. If it were stark white I wouldn't like it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manix 2 LW? And REX 45 ? Just great!!

But... I already have the version that is even more to my liking: UN-coated blade and burnt orange...

Otherwise I´d definitely try and get one of these black and white ones.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

1. White handle. 2. DLC coated blade. 3. LW/plastic. That's three strikes, so no.
Striple765Rider

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:44 am
Manix 2 LW? And REX 45 ? Just great!!

But... I already have the version that is even more to my liking: UN-coated blade and burnt orange...

Otherwise I´d definitely try and get one of these black and white ones.
Those are my favorite Rex 45 sprint runs! I'd LOVE to snag one of the PM2's in that combo! Either coated or uncoated because with those scales I think it looks incredible either way.

-Dave
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Time to deploy the garrison!
•• Beau
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

The GP Knives site got a little laggy when this one dropped. Not too bad, but still noticable. Hope everyone here that wanted one got one.
Striple765Rider

I got on about 12:30 ET and it went smooth as could be. Got my order in! My buddy ordered hood about a half hour later and got one no problem. I’m guessing (I could be wrong though because I’m far from knowledgeable about these) with it being DLC coated, Rex 45, a Manix 2 (even being a LW model) and all for a very good price for that combo I see these going quick.

I’m stunned that the awesome Jade/M4 Yojumbo is still for sale because those Jade/M4 combos are usually ultra hot. The only thing I can think of is the price and I don’t think the Yojumbo is a real big seller. Nothing compared to the Para series, Shaman, Natives and Manix 2’s. I’d love to get one but the price is a bit much for something I’d probably only have as a cool knife to look at, fidget with and show off. It just seems huge to EDC. I could be wrong though but at that price I don’t think I’ll find out, especially since I just got this one.

-Dave
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:16 pm
I got on about 12:30 ET and it went smooth as could be. Got my order in! My buddy ordered hood about a half hour later and got one no problem. I’m guessing (I could be wrong though because I’m far from knowledgeable about these) with it being DLC coated, Rex 45, a Manix 2 (even being a LW model) and all for a very good price for that combo I see these going quick.

Yes, I can recall that folks were worried about corrosion issues with the burnt orange (uncoated) REX 45 Manix LW sprint.
Especially since that one was still pinned and not screwed, and so maintenance not an easy task.

Now with screws and coating this is a different story, though I must say: No corrosion issues with my burnt orange REX 45 LW, and I do use and carry it a lot in humid, sweaty, wet... conditions.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)