Decision time what to purchase, don’t say by both

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blades

Re: Decision time what to purchase, don’t say by both

Post by Blades »

Go big or go home. :)
Blades

Post by Blades »

Go big or go home. :)
(whoops, double post)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:15 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:03 pm
I´ve brought this up quite often already (if a CBBL requires a choil and/or tall handle), but still I don´t have a definitive answer...
The P´kal actually features a BBL (so not caged, but otherwise similar to a CBBL) and has no choil - but then (look at the pic below) when the knife is closed, the blade seems to sit unusually far "forward", so appearantly is not interfering much with the lock by doing so ?! (Can´t really tell from the pic)
The definitive answer you're looking for is - No, the CBBL does not require a choil or “tall handle.”

There are certain design requirements because of how the lock mechanism is positioned in-line with the blade though. In a similar sense to how a backlock has certain design requirements for the same reason.

Also, the “Ball Bearing Lock” and “Closed Ball Bearing Lock” are the same lock mechanism but the latter just encloses the ball bearing with a plastic cage for better grip. I understand the description for the P’Kal Trainer states it uses the Ball Bearing Lock but as we can see, it is in fact the Closed Ball Bearing lock.

I believe a choil-less Manix is perfectly within the realm of possibility for Spyderco but whether I believe it to be a necessity or not, is another story.
Thanks, Nick, for the explanation and clarifying concerning the P´Kal! (Yes, the "cage" is actually clear to see, I missed that)

On the CBBL (BBL): At least if it is positioned like in the handle of the Manix and has the size it has there, it still looks to me as if it would take up more space where otherwise a blade could fill the handle than comp.lock, linerlock or backlock . ?
So if one designed a choil-less folder and aim for a narrow handle, with a CBBL similar to that in the Manix the handle would have to be a bit taller than in the front area than with other locktypes?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:40 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:15 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:03 pm
I´ve brought this up quite often already (if a CBBL requires a choil and/or tall handle), but still I don´t have a definitive answer...
The P´kal actually features a BBL (so not caged, but otherwise similar to a CBBL) and has no choil - but then (look at the pic below) when the knife is closed, the blade seems to sit unusually far "forward", so appearantly is not interfering much with the lock by doing so ?! (Can´t really tell from the pic)
The definitive answer you're looking for is - No, the CBBL does not require a choil or “tall handle.”

There are certain design requirements because of how the lock mechanism is positioned in-line with the blade though. In a similar sense to how a backlock has certain design requirements for the same reason.

Also, the “Ball Bearing Lock” and “Closed Ball Bearing Lock” are the same lock mechanism but the latter just encloses the ball bearing with a plastic cage for better grip. I understand the description for the P’Kal Trainer states it uses the Ball Bearing Lock but as we can see, it is in fact the Closed Ball Bearing lock.

I believe a choil-less Manix is perfectly within the realm of possibility for Spyderco but whether I believe it to be a necessity or not, is another story.
Thanks, Nick, for the explanation and clarifying concerning the P´Kal! (Yes, the "cage" is actually clear to see, I missed that)

On the CBBL (BBL): At least if it is positioned like in the handle of the Manix and has the size it has there, it still looks to me as if it would take up more space where otherwise a blade could fill the handle than comp.lock, linerlock or backlock . ?
So if one designed a choil-less folder and aim for a narrow handle, with a CBBL similar to that in the Manix the handle would have to be a bit taller than in the front area than with other locktypes?
It does take up more space. I touched on this briefly in my initial reply - “There are certain design requirements because of how the lock mechanism is positioned in-line with the blade though. In a similar sense to how a backlock has certain design requirements for the same reason.”

It could be said that all lock types have “certain design requirements” but in regards to the CBBL, fitting the lock mechanism itself into the handle, inline with the blade, with the closed blade is the design requirement. It definitely poses design limitations that other locks do not. This does not necessarily mean the handle must be “tall” to accommodate the lock mechanism though. I understand the sentiment of what you are saying but I just do not agree that saying it requires a “tall” handle is the most accurate way to describe it.
-Nick :bug-red
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

@akapennypincher - looking forward to seeing which you opt for in the end. They’re both great knives 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

As I am still on fence, not is ordered.

Yet.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

akapennypincher wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:46 am
As I am still on fence, not is ordered.

Yet.
Best reason not to buy.

Yet.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”