Decision time what to purchase, don’t say by both

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Decision time what to purchase, don’t say by both

Post by Sharp Guy »

I prefer the regular Manix II over the XL but I don't have Gorilla hands like vivi
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pick neither, if you really need others to guide you.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

I have medium hands. definitely the XL. I hate how the regular feels like trying to hold a fish, with my hand slipping off the back. It needs much less of a heel drop. The XL has no such problem.
-AHAB
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:49 pm
While I don´t like deep carry at all the XL looks to have a TOO "high" / "shallow" carry even for my preferences

Yup. I agree. With the factory clip, there's about an inch sticking out of your pocket. With a deep-carry clip, everything looks more nicely proportioned.

My solution to this problem:
viewtopic.php?t=94703
-AHAB
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:03 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:08 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:01 pm
If I'm going to carry a tank of a knife I want a full sized handle and blade.

Wonder if Spyderco would ever consider "Bodacious-ize-ing" the Manixes, deleting the choil, and bringing the edge right up to the handle...
I've been beating that drum for a few years now. Doubt this idea ever sees the light of day, but boy would I be a happy camper.

Drew that 3 years and a week ago it looks like.
Would go crazy for that aswel especialy if they would cave in and trow in the powerlock... :purple-devil
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Bolster wrote:
vivi wrote:

Wonder if Spyderco would ever consider "Bodacious-ize-ing" the Manixes, deleting the choil, and bringing the edge right up to the handle...
I've been beating that drum for a few years now. Doubt this idea ever sees the light of day, but boy would I be a happy camper.

Nice sketch. Do we know if the choil is necessary to clear the CBBL mechanism when closed?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:25 am
vivi wrote:
Bolster wrote:
vivi wrote:

Nice sketch. Do we know if the choil is necessary to clear the CBBL mechanism when closed?
Excellent question ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:27 am
Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:25 am
vivi wrote:
Bolster wrote:

Excellent question ! Dan

It's still difficult to tell even with this photo, but it looks like the lock area would be pretty crowded without the choil...what do you think? Do you think the edge could clear the lock with a tweak here or there?
Attachments
Karbadize-Manix-2-Replacement-Scales-Clear-BHQ-96876-jr-side-1-large.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have to agree looks very tight and may possibly hamper the spring ? Pure guesswork on my part , but think little room for error . Really above my pay grade . Thank you Bolster . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:03 pm
I have to agree looks very tight and may possibly hamper the spring ? Pure guesswork on my part , but think little room for error . Really above my pay grade . Thank you Bolster . Dan

I´ve brought this up quite often already (if a CBBL requires a choil and/or tall handle), but still I don´t have a definitive answer...
The P´kal actually features a BBL (so not caged, but otherwise similar to a CBBL) and has no choil - but then (look at the pic below) when the knife is closed, the blade seems to sit unusually far "forward", so appearantly is not interfering much with the lock by doing so ?! (Can´t really tell from the pic)
/
And one could probably make the lock a bit smaller? Or position it differently?

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Bolster wrote:
vivi wrote:

Good idea. The Modacious? The Bonix? "Bodanix" sounds like medication for acid reflux.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Manix 2, the standard version, gets my vote. Better size, in my personal opinion, for daily carry and use.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:15 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:03 pm

I´ve brought this up quite often already (if a CBBL requires a choil and/or tall handle), but still I don´t have a definitive answer...
The P´kal actually features a BBL (so not caged, but otherwise similar to a CBBL) and has no choil - but then (look at the pic below) when the knife is closed, the blade seems to sit unusually far "forward", so appearantly is not interfering much with the lock by doing so ?! (Can´t really tell from the pic)
/
And one could probably make the lock a bit smaller? Or position it differently?

The definitive answer you're looking for is - No, the CBBL does not require a choil or “tall handle.”

There are certain design requirements because of how the lock mechanism is positioned in-line with the blade though. In a similar sense to how a backlock has certain design requirements for the same reason.

Also, the “Ball Bearing Lock” and “Closed Ball Bearing Lock” are the same lock mechanism but the latter just encloses the ball bearing with a plastic cage for better grip. I understand the description for the P’Kal Trainer states it uses the Ball Bearing Lock but as we can see, it is in fact the Closed Ball Bearing lock.

I believe a choil-less Manix is perfectly within the realm of possibility for Spyderco but whether I believe it to be a necessity or not, is another story.

———

Akapennypincher - this is the knife you want! ;)

Not going to lie, that’s a badass looking knife!
- Nick :bug-red
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:51 pm

Well the question was ask as I am on fence about the XL, but was considering it. Sometime asking an owner specific question is productive, as they have experience with produ
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

akapennypincher wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 am
wrdwrght wrote:

Well the question was asked as I am on fence about the XL, but was considering it, but. Sometimes asking an owners specific question is productive, as they have experience with product as they have owned.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

akapennypincher wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:08 am
akapennypincher wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 am
wrdwrght wrote:

Well the question was asked as I am on fence about the XL, but was considering it, but. Sometimes asking an owners specific question is productive, as they have experience with product as they have owned.
The Manix XL is a favorite of mine but it may not be for everybody . Great HD knife and have carried since first run in lockback since they came out . I find them to be confidence inspiring in hand and versatile enough to do many jobs. The downside is size in pocket , they are a pocket hog but I only carry a knife in my main pocket so not an issue for me . Hope this helps . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I can only compare the Manix 2 and C95P (Backlock Manix). Honestly if the grind is similar as the original on the XL, well you get more blade but with a similar behind the edge thickness as the Manix 2. More is better in my opinion !

Problem is, our opinions can't really tell much about your opinions :winking-tongue

Both are excellent, just ask yourself if you prefer a bigger blade or not.

C95P in picture just below :
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

If your hand fits in the XL handle, it'll also fit fine on the Manix 2. That said, I picked the Manix 2 a long time ago.
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

I own several Manix's and love them.

However, I am in a phase of carrying bigger knives at the moment and don't own an XL... so I'd probably pick the XL right now lol.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I have both.
If I was stranded on a desert island and had to choose one... I'd pick the XL.
If I was not stranded on a desert island... I would rather keep the regular Manix2.
•• Beau