New Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you could choose a new blade type to put on a Dragonfly, what would you choose?

Recurve
3%
Harpoon
15%
Tanto
8%
Harpoon Tanto
3%
American Tanto
2%
Recurve S (like a Civilian)
38%
Big belly skinner
13%
Other
17%

Total votes: 60

Toucan

Re: New Dragonfly

Post by Toucan »

Also, I'll be heterodox and say "other". What about a kris pattern? Maximize edge length for a tiny knife. It'd more or less be for the sake of novelty, but it would be cool.

Also also, I've never really understood the harpoon thing. Maybe if the shelf/ ramp thing was way closer to the tip as a sort of guard for a delicate pull cut when the finger is right near the tip. Otherwise, it just seems like none of the utility of a thumb ramp, and none of the clean lines of a straight spine.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Toucan wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:18 am
I might just be lacking imagination here, but a "big belly skinner" seems like it would be difficult to fit into the handle. Now that I think about it, really any shape with a more upward tip seems difficult.

Well... that clearly speaks for going with an H2 hollow sabre grind wharnie next.. :winking-tongue
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Toucan wrote:
I might just be lacking imagination here, but a "big belly skinner" seems like it would be difficult to fit into the handle. Now that I think about it, really any shape with a more upward tip seems difficult.
To be quite honest I was struggling to think of different blade shapes so just threw that into the mix like a poorly considered red sock into a load of white laundry.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Toucan wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:27 am
Also, I'll be heterodox and say "other". What about a kris pattern? Maximize edge length for a tiny knife. It'd more or less be for the sake of novelty, but it would be cool.

Also also, I've never really understood the harpoon thing. Maybe if the shelf/ ramp thing was way closer to the tip as a sort of guard for a delicate pull cut when the finger is right near the tip. Otherwise, it just seems like none of the utility of a thumb ramp, and none of the clean lines of a straight spine.
I really like harpoon points for having a sort of mid-spine thumb ramp for whittling. That and it appeals to my inner child 🤪

Hinderer’s Harpoon Tanto blades just sing to me, but I quite intensely dislike frame locks so it was never meant to be for me unfortunately. Now if Spyderco made a harpoon tanto in a comp, back or button lock I’d literally do a little jig.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:54 am
Toucan wrote:
Well... that clearly speaks for going with an H2 hollow sabre grind wharnie next.. :winking-tongue
I would absolutely love two of those. Plus five more for giving as gifts. Let’s face it, between the two of us we could probably make use of a whole sprint run.
- Al

Dream knives -
z1r

Post by z1r »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:01 am
Sorry, not a really a totally new blade shape... but I'd really like a wharnie (and SE for me) in H1/H2, and the pretty high sabre grind those steels offer in the DFly (apperantly higher than in other H1 Salts).

I think an H2 wharnie SE Dfly could very well end up living permanently as a backup in my mountaineering/outdoor packs.
Good call ☝🏻

I’m eyeing up the Hawkbill H1 SE Dragonfly for that exact purpose myself.
This is a great size and blade. I have Ladybug Hawkbills on all my key chains but the DF2 Hawkbill is a nice little step up.
Blacksprucy

Post by Blacksprucy »

All this dragonfly talk, forced me to pick up a tattoo version :cheap-sunglasses

Would love to see it made with LC200N.
Brant

Post by Brant »

I love the little Dragonfly! I’d love to see an XL version about the size of the Para 3. And recurve blade…… yes!
max808

Post by max808 »

z1r wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:19 am
JoviAl wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:01 am
Sorry, not a really a totally new blade shape... but I'd really like a wharnie (and SE for me) in H1/H2, and the pretty high sabre grind those steels offer in the DFly (apperantly higher than in other H1 Salts).

I think an H2 wharnie SE Dfly could very well end up living permanently as a backup in my mountaineering/outdoor packs.
Good call ☝🏻

I’m eyeing up the Hawkbill H1 SE Dragonfly for that exact purpose myself.
This is a great size and blade. I have Ladybug Hawkbills on all my key chains but the DF2 Hawkbill is a nice little step up.
+1

Reverse S for the win!
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

A reverse tanto.