ComTech Stinger

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
CopilotATS-55

ComTech Stinger

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

im thinking of getting one for a friend (in plymouth there are two HS's the school she goes to is really rough aka lots of bad issues :( ) just caring for a friend (since 6 grade)thats all
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

i would do it, it's works great but she needs to box with it. Can she handle hitting someone in the face? If not, i think a good can of O.C. (fox) is a better option for a girl. Oh and teach her to kick them in the crotch. Fast, easy and a real fightstopper. Don't give her knives unless she shows interrest for one herself.
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

she knows that stuff Axe deordrant also stings :D

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Com-tech Stinger is a nice non-lethal hand held SD tool. It will give anyone who has some punching ability a little extra edge and some more power to their punches. A bit of advice: The first thing to do is lose the keyring that it attached, the keys on the ring will only get in the way and it will make it harder to conceal or carry...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

The metal ring is added so nobody sneaks them onboard airplanes, buy one in a girly colour ( yellow, cristal) and use a strong string (1mm kernmantle type) if she wan'ts it as keychain. Her keys will be dangling under her hand that way (so she can use her keys to swing in someone's face). And tell her that when somebody asks her what it is that it's a "shiatsu massage" tool, to massage certain deep lying mussle groups. :rolleyes:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Jim:...They are very hard to sneak onto an airplane...even though they are plastic...even without the keyring attached...they have a very defined outline that is very recognizable under x-ray screening...The inspectors are trained to notice them in carry on luggage and I wouldn't even think about trying to get one on a plane...they are also on the FBI's list of no-no's for having on the airplane...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

concealed... drop it in your pocket and don't take it out with the other stuff for the tray...

or buy a kydex rig for it and wear it around your neck.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doubt the young person he's trying to help protect will be doing a lot of air travel. The real concerns would be that it takes either a fair amount of boxing ablility, or some real knowledge of pressure points, to use a Stinger effectively. And, as with any other weapon, using it ineffectively will just piss your attacker(s) off. Think Jim's advice here has been sound.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

The person he is trying to help is a minor female girl, so boxing and or knifefighting is out of the question. I really think in this case a O.C. can is the best option. If she needs stationary defense (dormroom, car defense, house) a Sjambok could be a good option, easy to use, very effective, innocent looking, legal everywhere, and totally defensive.
Due to the psychological maturity of the user (teenage girl) we should try to find a SD weapon that causes no permanent damage, is easy to use, needs low musscle power, and doesn't need a "fighters" mentality.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Try a GUN!!! :)
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The Deacon wrote:Doubt the young person he's trying to help protect will be doing a lot of air travel. The real concerns would be that it takes either a fair amount of boxing ablility, or some real knowledge of pressure points, to use a Stinger effectively. And, as with any other weapon, using it ineffectively will just piss your attacker(s) off. Think Jim's advice here has been sound.
Deacon: Sorry I have to disagree...the whole reason the stinger was invented, was for when someone was beating the heck out of you, and you were caught off guard or by suprise, you would automatically be losing strenght by the mere nature of being attacked. The stinger as I mentioned before will give you that advantage to regaining some of that power back in your punch when your coming from an already one down position. In order to be effective you do not need to have a knowledge of martial pressure points or even Martial Arts. Just tap your rib cage with one, or even your forehead, knee cap etc...they are pretty effective wherever they are applied...Doc :D

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Jim Malone wrote:The person he is trying to help is a minor female girl, so boxing and or knifefighting is out of the question. I really think in this case a O.C. can is the best option. If she needs stationary defense (dormroom, car defense, house) a Sjambok could be a good option, easy to use, very effective, innocent looking, legal everywhere, and totally defensive.
Due to the psychological maturity of the user (teenage girl) we should try to find a SD weapon that causes no permanent damage, is easy to use, needs low musscle power, and doesn't need a "fighters" mentality.
Jim the Sjambok or Latigo as it was originally called would be an excellant choice for stationary defense weapon, I concur.....Doc :D

Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Neither a Stinger nor a Sjambok or a sharp Spyderco or any other item will do anything without the willingness and the ability to use it. If anything it might give a false sense of security and interfere with awareness and avoidance.
If concerned about someone's safety I would advise to attend a good self defense course together and take it from there.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Would a Stinger be legal in High School setting? When I was in high school (not that long ago) EVERYTHING was considered a deadly weapon. An impact tool like the Stinger would have been illegal. It wouldn't take a brilliant administrator to take the step from Brass knuckles(completely illegal) to Stinger. The usage is slightly different, but still similar enough to raise eyebrows.

Maybe I misread the original post, but I thought you were getting this for a female friend because she went to a rough school. I would definitely check the school restrictions on weapons before giving it to her, or you may give her a whole mess of trouble in addition to the Stinger.

The thing is a weapon, first and foremost, and there are numerous everyday objects available to a student that would serve the same purpose. A pen stab to the eye will end a fight very quickly, and no one can say the pen was carried purely for malintent.

Just my opinion of course, you are welcome to do what you wish. :o
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

vampyrewolf wrote:concealed... drop it in your pocket and don't take it out with the other stuff for the tray...

or buy a kydex rig for it and wear it around your neck.
That is a good idea unless you are one of the random people they pat down search. I've had this happen to me, and usually they are quite thorough in the pat down...about the only thing they don't check is your exit door. So unless you are willing to hide where only Papillion would :eek: (obscure reference to old movie called, "Papillion") and then gamble the odds then go ahead and hide it on your person. :o
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Clay Kesting

Koppo Stick

Post by Clay Kesting »

If you haven't already done so, check out Don Rearic's articles on the Koppo stick. I carry a mini-Maglite instead and plan to equip and train my daughters to use one as they get older. Effective and legal everywhere.

clay
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

The Deacon wrote:Doubt the young person he's trying to help protect will be doing a lot of air travel. The real concerns would be that it takes either a fair amount of boxing ablility, or some real knowledge of pressure points, to use a Stinger effectively. And, as with any other weapon, using it ineffectively will just piss your attacker(s) off. Think Jim's advice here has been sound.
The Stinger makes a punch hit a lot harder. If you can't land a punch at all, or only land weak punches, it's not a miracle. Ditto pocket sticks, but for me, the pocket stick has additional disadvantages: the Stinger makes a punch (natural defensive instinct) hurt more; the koppo works off a straight thrust or a hammer blow, neither of which people who haven't done at least a little training typically do with a lot of power and without telegraphing. If you have the basics of hitting,then these things are great. If she "punches like a girl", go with OC and some lessons on awareness... then teach her to punch and get her a stinger later :)
CopilotATS-55

killed

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

considirded choices tell choice later this thread is killed for now any ways (she does not punch lite i know :D ohhh!)

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3