New Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you could choose a new blade type to put on a Dragonfly, what would you choose?

Recurve
3%
Harpoon
15%
Tanto
8%
Harpoon Tanto
3%
American Tanto
2%
Recurve S (like a Civilian)
38%
Big belly skinner
13%
Other
17%

Total votes: 60

TomH

Re: New Dragonfly

Post by TomH »

Dodofly! Almost four years and a half years of waiting. It's got to happen eventually.

I'll take two at least.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I voted for big belly skinner. As i would find it very fun to have a crossover between the dragonfly and the Chinook.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Salt wharnie SE 😉
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my most wanted df2 is blacked out lc200n
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
benben

Post by benben »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:31 am
Salt wharnie SE 😉
In high-vis Green! ;)

Of course not a Dragonfly but along the same lines size wise....I'd love a Lil' Native Lockback in serrated Cru-wear, any color G-10 (but probably the Cru-wear gray) with a spoon clip. That'd be a Lil' Ripper!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am not interested in a different blade shape. We have the leaf, the wharnie and the hawkbill and this should be enough but … I would be VERY interested in a XL Dfly 2.0 with a 2.75-2.85 inch blade. THAT would be a helluva edc. Sal’s most inspired design brought to perfection.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:41 pm
I am not interested in a different blade shape. We have the leaf, the wharnie and the hawkbill and this should be enough but … I would be VERY interested in a XL Dfly 2.0 with a 2.75-2.85 inch blade. THAT would be a helluva edc. Sal’s most inspired design brought to perfection.

Yes, and the leaf and the hawkbill do come in H1 (H2) which means also in that appearantly a bit higher (compared to other H1 Salts) hollow sabre grind.

The wharnie though only comes in ffg (and additionally not as a Salt at all).

Would you agree that it would be nice to "fill that gap" in the lineup?

I think in many tasks a wharnie, and even more so a SMALL wharnie, in the nice hollow grind would make a lot of sense! I mean cutting matter with not too thick diameter like cardboard (opening boxes) or cordage (while rather not much food) where the "shoulders" of the sabre grind don´t come really into play as a con, but only the acute hollow section as a pro.

Additionally to have a DFly wharnie option with an a bit sturdier tip (as it usually comes with H1/H2) and also completely rustproof could not hurt, could it?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:04 pm
elena86 wrote:

Yes, and the leaf and the hawkbill do come in H1 (H2) which means also in that appearantly a bit higher (compared to other H1 Salts) hollow sabre grind.

The wharnie though only comes in ffg (and additionally not as a Salt at all).

Would you agree that it would be nice to "fill that gap" in the lineup?

I think in many tasks a wharnie, and even more so a SMALL wharnie, in the nice hollow grind would make a lot of sense! I mean cutting matter with not too thick diameter like cardboard (opening boxes) or cordage (while rather not much food) where the "shoulders" of the sabre grind don´t come really into play as a con, but only the acute hollow section as a pro.

Additionally to have a DFly wharnie option with an a bit sturdier tip (as it usually comes with H1/H2) and also completely rustproof could not hurt, could it?
I wouldn’t mind but… I strongly doubt that it might happen. Unfortunately people don’t understand the benefits of the wharnies in general and we see that Spyderco has just discoed quite a few for 2024. I am an advocate of high hollow grinds though and I wish Spyderco will extend this grind in more models. Looking forward to the high performance Delica and high selling numbers for this model might bring a boost to the idea. Only time will tell.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I voted 'other'

Plain Edge Hawkbill, K390, G-10, CF, or Nishijin Glass.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:11 pm
I voted 'other'

Plain Edge Hawkbill, K390, G-10, CF, or Nishijin Glass.
I would be all over that like a rash! CF or Nishijin would be a delight, especially on a linered K390 model - that would be one robust little knife!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Like a rash, or like white on rice, or like stink on...ah, nevermind.😁
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Love to see all of the enthusiasm for the Dodofly! That one obviously gets my vote as well. Still holding out hope! I'll settle for a Cricketfly as well though!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomH

Post by TomH »

I agree. A Dodofly or a Cricketfly, either would be great
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:04 pm
elena86 wrote:
I wouldn’t mind but… I strongly doubt that it might happen. Unfortunately people don’t understand the benefits of the wharnies in general and we see that Spyderco has just discoed quite a few for 2024. I am an advocate of high hollow grinds though and I wish Spyderco will extend this grind in more models. Looking forward to the high performance Delica and high selling numbers for this model might bring a boost to the idea. Only time will tell.

I am afraid you could be right... :/ ... but still wonder why the leaf and the hawkbill got the H1 hollow grind treatment, but not the wharnie (I figure wharnies were and are overall still more popular than hawkbills, and to me in the DFly platform a high hollow wharnie would make so much sense)

/ Yes, I am looking forward to the hp Delica too very much!! Slimmed down my array of Spydies recently and actually want to keep it slim, but there still is no way I will NOT get one of that special Delicas... :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Jesterfly :bug-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I voted Recurve-S because it's a superb cutter, but honestly the Dragonfly is just too small for me. The Chaparral, one of my most-carried knives, is at the lower end of what I find useful. On top of that, with the DFly I just can't find a comfortable grip for my wide-ish and fumble-fingered hands. I've tried the clip on both sides, tried a wire-clip replacement, even tried clipless... no dice.

I think I would love the knife elena86 described, an XL DFly 2. I already like the leaf blade: it's beautiful, one of Spyderco's nicest. If stretched to 2.75, I'd prefer to see the blade height remain the same, but I'd be fine with just scaling the existing shape up.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Recurve S would be a pure fun blade - not sure it would work with the handle design though (someone with the right software and skill could probably draw a mockup)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Matus wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:43 pm
Recurve S would be a pure fun blade - not sure it would work with the handle design though (someone with the right software and skill could probably draw a mockup)
I don’t know about Software, but I’ve got a sharpie, a dragonfly and a black book to put it on top of 😜 The closed photo is so we can see how much the edge might be exposed (if at all).
Attachments
15ffba27-9aac-48a1-87d8-0f6a824f48a6.jpeg
a06ca7eb-6e1b-4c9e-abee-0b1a769f5e18.jpeg
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Matus

Post by Matus »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:48 pm
Matus wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:43 pm
I don’t know about Software, but I’ve got a sharpie, a dragonfly and a black book to put it on top of 😜 The closed photo is so we can see how much the edge might be exposed (if at all).
Excellent idea! I guess spine shape would have to change to acomodate such a large change to the blade shape.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I might just be lacking imagination here, but a "big belly skinner" seems like it would be difficult to fit into the handle. Now that I think about it, really any shape with a more upward tip seems difficult.