Biggest sturdy Spyderco folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Biggest sturdy Spyderco folder?

Post by apollo »

The Sturdiest is definatly the Old school Lockback c95.
The biggest can not be any different then the Tatanka.
Matus

Post by Matus »

The Tuff is from a different planet. Crazy sturdy. Side effect being, that being a 'knife' was a bit shifted to the second place as the blade geometry is closer to a Japanese nata than to a small (in absolute scale) cutting too. I have not kept mine as I could not bring myself to making a re-grind on that beautiful & coated blade. But the knife is awesome.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Tuff is the most beefy folder I have. It feels indestructable, with a matching heavy duty action.

Old pictures:

It is large, but not overly large. It has a similar cutting edge to the Shaman.

Blade is noticeably thicker, with a massive stop pin.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Well I have read people comments, many things are NSF, OOP, or N/A, so it will be with a G-10 Manix, or Manix 2 to be next acquisition. On fence between Manix and Big Manix :woozy
vivi

Post by vivi »

akapennypincher wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:23 am
On fence between Manix and Big Manix :woozy
With a title like yours it should be a no brainer ;)

The upcoming crucarta Manix XL would be a good choice if you can't find a C95 om the secondary market. Not quite as beefy as the OG but still a tank of a knife.

Here's a comparison btw - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85577
:unicorn
akapennypincher

Been in wait list for standard Maxix with non seated blade.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:15 am
Tuff is the most beefy folder I have. It feels indestructable, with a matching heavy duty action.

Old pictures:

It is large, but not overly large. It has a similar cutting edge to the Shaman.

Blade is noticeably thicker, with a massive stop pin.
Mid range framelock versus top of the market compression lock though, with lock being the main point of failure of knife. I tend to not trust framelock unless they're produced with very tight tolerances.

The Shaman is a very sturdy knife that I've stress tested a lot. It never failed, only the blade is slightly bent at the tip (it never broke though). It's a S30V blade. If you pick a Shaman in a tool steel, you'll have an even more solid knife overall.

If you want larger, I'd say an Endura, but I don't expect the same level of sturdiness. Could be wrong.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:45 am
Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:15 am
If you want larger, I'd say an Endura, but I don't expect the same level of sturdiness. Could be wrong.

I think (just a guess though) that the sabre grind (pretty LOW sabre grind) Endura blade is at least as strong as a Shaman blade...
and as said: Paired with the stainless steel handle a sabre grind Endura is really sturdy.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Biggest sturdy Spyderco folder?

Since I've never broken any Spyderco knife, I have to conclude that they're ALL sturdy. Spyderco has convinced me that I don't need to carry those "fat blade" knives from its competitors.

Of the big Spydies that I have, the Police 4's are pretty nice. The Manix 2 XL is also big and virtually unbreakable.

Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Manix xl. Have one in my pocket right now. Awesome knife
akapennypincher

Well I am on fence Manix v/s Manix XL, got to wait for NEW Credit Card to arrived, hacker hit me🤮
apollo

Post by apollo »

The Manix XL is THE tank in the current line up but the Original lockback C95 Manix well that one is on another level.
If you like sturdiness and quality all while having high performance that one is the ultimate spydie!
But finding one isn’t that easy. I still wish they would ever consider returning it even if just for a sprint run. But then again the current people on the forum will never give it a chance.
The meta sadly enough isn’t high levels of sturdiness and reliability anymore.
(Not that the new meta spydies aren’t sturdy or reliable anymore but let’s be honest there is a difference between steel/g10 and plastic based material with a tiny winy insert so it isnt at the same level anymore…)
So off all the current Spydies the XL is the one that will astonish you the most and will be a great companion for all of you’re adventures but if ever given the opportunity get the Original backlock.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the K2. It’s a beast of a knife and really too large and heavy for reasonable pocket carry.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

The K2 is big, and will certainly handle any reasonable use but I wouldnt call it a beast.

I don't think anyone would consider the Spydiechef a beast, and the K2 is basically just a longer Spydiechef.

Don't get me wrong, the K2 is probably my most carried and maybe even favorite Spyderco, i just wouldn't put it in the same class as something like the LionSpy or Tuff.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

jdw wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:53 am
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the K2. It’s a beast of a knife and really too large and heavy for reasonable pocket carry.
The only beastly thing i found with my K2 was that it was apparently made to open once and never close - without the use of force, tools or both.. Lock stick is an understatement. I kept it for 48 hours, then sold it on without looking back :)
My Tatanka on the other hand is just great.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
apollo

Post by apollo »

jdw wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:53 am
The K2 is a large and sturdy knife.
But i also would not call it a beast. My tuff is way more a beast then my K2.
But framelocks are great for normal day to day use. But even the best of them i would not really beast like. The lock isnt made for it and will fail long before a lock back or CBBL or powerlock will.
Donut

Post by Donut »

akapennypincher wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:07 pm
Catchadroppimgknife wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:53 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:08 pm
Catchadroppimgknife wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:20 pm
So far for me ….. this one

What is that?
Its a C95 Old School Manix :cheap-sunglasses

Overall Length8.812" (224mm)
Blade Length3.75" (95mm)
SteelCPM S30V
Closed Length 5.063" (129mm)
Edge Length3.25" (83mm)
Weight6.1oz (174g)
Blade Thickness.156" (4mm)
HandleG-10

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=165

THX.
That was my thought, C95 Manix. I don't know if I'd call the modern day Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL a lot weaker, though.

It's tough to beat the Military. Yojimbo/Yojumbo is a pretty sturdy blade.
Superleaf, Superhawk are very stout.

I tend to think that if you don't pry with a knife, most knives are stronger than you need them to be. I think I still have a scar on my finger from when I was a teenager and tried to pry with a Buck knife. It still reminds me of how not to use a knife. Cliff would say that he would challenge someone to break a Delica if they didn't pry with it and he never had one break.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mild prying with the mid section of the blade isn't so bad. I do it with my Manix XL and Pacific Salts often. It's prying with the tip that's the big no no.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ve had neither the Tuff, the Szabo, nor the K2.

My Tatanka would certainly qualify, but, fantastic though it was, it was too heavy in my pocket, and too unwieldy for my kinds of everyday chores. Having concluded that the Tatanka was a fixed-blade masquerading as a folder (I’m here for the folders), I never really carried it, and so I sold it.

I believe the sturdiness of a folder is to be judged firstly by the construction of its pivot and lock, by the thickness of its blade, as well as by the presence of liners, all before the length of the blade that might qualify the knife as big.

Were I chiefly interested in an excessively sturdy Spydie, my collection could offer an original Manix, a Lil’Temp (1-3), a Shaman, a Lil’Native, a Bob Lum, an original Bradley Folder, and a Keating Chinook4. I could also grab the recent Amor Subvert sprint but its bearings leave me wondering about their failure.

I hasten to add that the many other Spydies I have known and used, such as what I’m pocketing today (in sigline), are sturdy enough, so long as I use them within a folder’s limiting parameters.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Given your parameters, which make sense to me, I agree wholeheartedly about the Lil Temperance, even the LW. It could be called the Lil Beast, and makes me miss my dearly departed Superleaf much, much less.