Decision time what to purchase, don’t say by both

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Decision time what to purchase, don’t say by both

Post by vivi »

In photos it can look that way but when you hold them side by side the XL actually does offer a few mm more space. Where my pinky would be hanging off the mini's handle just a hair, there's handle reinforcing my grip on the XL.

It's a snug, locked in fit, but not cramped. Like a perfect fitting pair of shoes or gloves. Not restrictive, but no extra wiggle room.

No one who's hand fits the mini's handle behind the choil will find the XL too small in that grip.

I don't carry the Manix series as much as the Chief or Pacific Salt but I'd still say the C95 lockback version has the best ergonomics for me of any folder from Spyderco.
:unicorn
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:03 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:08 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:01 pm
If I'm going to carry a tank of a knife I want a full sized handle and blade.

Wonder if Spyderco would ever consider "Bodacious-ize-ing" the Manixes, deleting the choil, and bringing the edge right up to the handle...
I've been beating that drum for a few years now. Doubt this idea ever sees the light of day, but boy would I be a happy camper.

Drew that 3 years and a week ago it looks like.
Hoochie momma! I would buy that in a heartbeat.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have both and like the normal sized one better. I think I have carried the XL a couple of times, but the normal one is one of my favorites.

Actually, I like the lightweight over the linered/G-10 version. How much cutting power you get with such little weight in your pocket is pretty amazing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would go with the Manix 2 and think the lightweight variation would be the best choice for your application . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kobold

Post by kobold »

Ask yourself what kind of cutting tasks you do in your life and how would these knives carry on a day-to-day basis.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
benben

Post by benben »

IMG_4565.jpeg
Other than the excessive jimping, I think the Manix 2 is pretty close to the perfect folding pocket knife!

But I know lots of guys here like the jimping, I can live with it. I also have medium sized hands.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I modded the jimping out of my seconds XL and it made it feel so much better in my grip. That's the #1 thing I'd change in a hypothetical gen 3.

It makes a bit of sense on the mini, but on the XL with the U shaped handle, your hand isn't going anywhere. C95 did just fine without it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:20 pm
Bemo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:35 pm
I think it comes down to hand size. I have medium to medium small hands. While I've never held the XL it has no appeal to me and the regular sized one is perfect. Vivi, Giant, some others think the regular sized is actually mini-sized.
I mostly refer to it as the mini manix as a joke these days, but back in the day the current regular was marketed as the mini.

the c95 lockback manix was just the manix. then they shrunk it down and came out with what came to be known as the mini manix lockback.

maybe due to changing trends in the knife world, i.e. less overbuilt strider / medford styles and more slim & trim bugout style knives....maybe a completely different reason.....but they referred to the mini manix as the regular, and the manix as the XL with gen 2.

It'd be like if they named the Military 2 the Military XL, and the Para 2 the Military.

I became a fan of the series with the original c95, so I referred to them by their original size out of habit.

over the years it's just become a joke to me, and I use the terms to poke fun at people requesting a mini manix - because the pedant in me likes pointing out the mini manix has been around since the first generation ;)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mini+manix&ia ... &ia=images
Spyderco has never sold a production knife under the name “Mini Manix.” It was sold under the name “Manix 83mm.”

In the same way that Spyderco has never sold a knife named “Military.” They sell a knife named “Military Model” but the nickname the general public uses does not mean that is it’s real name. Even if “Mini Manix” was used for a prototype, the production version was not sold or marketed under that name.

I understand you say “Mini Manix” now just as a joke and in the grand scheme of things it’s not really a big deal but it certainly can create a level of confusion for people who are unaware of the design history.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

eh, everyone calls it a Military, everyone called it the mini manix, and everyone calls them serrated edges instead of ©™®Spyderedge™®©. 15 years ago if you said mini manix there'd be no confusion what you're talking about, that's what people called it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The one thing I didn't like about the M2XL was that large hook on the end tended to rub my little finger raw if I were using it a lot. The grip area is the same as the M2, but the M2's hook isn't as prominent.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:55 am
eh, everyone calls it a Military, everyone called it the mini manix, and everyone calls them serrated edges instead of ©™®Spyderedge™®©. 15 years ago if you said mini manix there'd be no confusion what you're talking about, that's what people called it.
Unfortunately, right now isn't 15 years ago and it does cause confusion.
vivi

Post by vivi »

can't say I've ever seen that be the case here.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

False. You consistently have to explain yourself after saying “Mini Manix” because there are inevitably people left confused.

If you insist on calling it a wrong name, thats your decision. I’m not telling you to stop.
vivi

Post by vivi »

can't recall ever having to explain myself because someone was confused.

not sure why you're so hung up about it either way.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:49 pm
While I don´t like deep carry at all the XL looks to have a TOO "high" / "shallow" carry even for my preferences

Yup. I agree. With the factory clip, there's about an inch sticking out of your pocket. With a deep-carry clip, everything looks more nicely proportioned.

vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah, not the most pocketable folder, but I really like low ride clips like that and the Military 1 for IWB carry. Makes them easier to draw.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

XL because It works better for me.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:06 am
But look at the rear ends and imagine using each knife for heavy draw cuts gripped behind the choil.

Yup, the "hooked" end really makes the XL fit the hand nicely.
As I sit here contemplating the subtle differences between the knives, I feel like a kid at Baskin-Robbins. With all these flavors available, how am I to decide ice cream is best?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:26 am
can't recall ever having to explain myself because someone was confused.

not sure why you're so hung up about it either way.
I originally quoted you explaining why you call it a Mini Manix in this thread because of the confusion it caused. Bemo assumed you call the Manix 2 a “Mini Manix” because you often tell us about the size of your hands. That sounds like confusion to me because, as you explained, that is not why you call it a Mini Manix.

The reason I even make note of it in the first place is to help steer people in the direction of accurate information. If the OP sees you talking about “the mini manix” and searches for that, they will not find what they were actually looking for. It’s confusing until you explain how it’s all just an inside joke with yourself.

Again, it’s not a big deal but it is kind of confusing.

———

My recommendation to the OP is to buy the Manix® 2 Black G-10 (C101G2). If you think the XL will be too big for your preferences or hand size, it probably will be. Go with your gut because you can’t go wrong with either one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

it's really not that big of a deal man.