Future Rockjumpers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Future Rockjumpers?

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:01 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:19 am
i made a thread suggesting this a while back, saying lower sales probably had more to do with the steel than the design. it's not even that the steel is bad either... it's just that there are too many choices that are similar in better steels. that thread was when sal hinted at a k390 leafjumper, but not a rockjumper. then the disco list came out and almost all the wharncliffe models got the axe. it seems the wharncliffe is just not worth the production costs for spyderco to keep around in comparison to other models.

basically, if you think it's the perfect design, you should get it and deal with vg10. if you need a different steel, try a delica, endela, or endura wharncliffe before they're gone. i wanted a rockjumper, but i really like my 20cv delica wharncliffe.
So…you’re saying I should buy a Rockjumper in VG10 *and* a K390 Leafjumper? 🤔 This makes a lot of sense 👍🏻
YES!!!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

elena86 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:48 pm
I own 3 RJ serrated and 5 wharnie Delica serrated in VG10… yeah, I know, I have a disease. From my personal experience VG10 performs incredibly well in spyderedge but…don’t ask me why. It’s not a tough steel so I guess it must be the way it sharpens. My advice is to get the RJ serrated while they are available. It’s one of Sal’s most inspired designs. I have a feeling that in a few years these wharnies are going to be very sought after. Most people just don’t understand how capable and useful the wharnies are.
Agreed!!! The RJ SE is incredible and that’s why I just got a backup 👊
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

I have come to really love not only the RJ ergos, but VG10 in SE. This has been my first knife in VG10, and I’m blown away! As everyone else has mentioned, especially for the price!

Hamilton
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Probably will always wish for a K390 run of these before they disappear forever. Leafjumper is great, but the RJ is special.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I keep hoping that we'll see some sort of salty Rockjumper in the future.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Al,

The Rock Jumper / Leaf Jumper models were an personal experiment to create a mid lock-back folder that had the edge come to the handle without a finger choil, and still be able to close the knife with one hand using the "drop the blade onto the forefinger" method. It's a common one hand closing method that has been around for more than 40 years on Spyderco's and on Al Mar folders for a decade before Spyderco.and many of our customers use and prefer that method, me included.

I used VG-10 as it is a good standard for Japanese made models and still leaves the "other" materials available for future models, exclusives or Sprints. But mostly, it was the "handle-Forward" concept on which I was focused.

I made the Rock Jumper first as there seemed to be a very high demand for the Wharncliffe blade shape at the time. The Leaf Jumper followed the Rock Jumper design, but again, I was trying to get feedback on the "Handle forward" concept.

We later learned that the demand for Wharncliffe blades was not a strong as I had thought. My bad. We realized that we had way too many Wharncliffe models in the line and that number had to be reduced as sales were not as great as previously thought for the blade shape. The Rock Jumper was just herded into the Disco group along with many others.

It seems like the Leaf Jumper is in greater demand so we elected to make a K390 version of it, instead of the Rock J. It's still too soon to determine if the "Handle Forward" concept for Lock-backs will continue to be in the line.

I would suggest, like the others, that if you like the RJ design, that you grab a serrated VG-10 version (or 2) while they are available.

It's also possible that the RJ may return in the future as a Sprint or Exclusive with a preferred steel.

sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Thank you SAL , I appreciate you taking the time to chime in . The Rock Jumper is one of my favorite Wharncliffe knives and after comments will need to pursue a SE to compliment my PE . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:07 pm
Hi Al,

The Rock Jumper / Leaf Jumper models were an personal experiment to create a mid lock-back folder that had the edge come to the handle without a finger choil, and still be able to close the knife with one hand using the "drop the blade onto the forefinger" method. It's a common one hand closing method that has been around for more than 40 years on Spyderco's and on Al Mar folders for a decade before Spyderco.and many of our customers use and prefer that method, me included.

I used VG-10 as it is a good standard for Japanese made models and still leaves the "other" materials available for future models, exclusives or Sprints. But mostly, it was the "handle-Forward" concept on which I was focused.

I made the Rock Jumper first as there seemed to be a very high demand for the Wharncliffe blade shape at the time. The Leaf Jumper followed the Rock Jumper design, but again, I was trying to get feedback on the "Handle forward" concept.

We later learned that the demand for Wharncliffe blades was not a strong as I had thought. My bad. We realized that we had way too many Wharncliffe models in the line and that number had to be reduced as sales were not as great as previously thought for the blade shape. The Rock Jumper was just herded into the Disco group along with many others.

It seems like the Leaf Jumper is in greater demand so we elected to make a K390 version of it, instead of the Rock J. It's still too soon to determine if the "Handle Forward" concept for Lock-backs will continue to be in the line.

I would suggest, like the others, that if you like the RJ design, that you grab a serrated VG-10 version (or 2) while they are available.

It's also possible that the RJ may return in the future as a Sprint or Exclusive with a preferred steel.

sal
Thanks for chiming in Sal - it’s always interesting to hear about behind the scenes and the design decisions/practicalities that drove a product.

I suppose the somewhat lower demand than initially anticipated could be in part down to the Rockjumper (and other Wharncliffe designs) being more practical than ‘sexy’. The irony in this is that after a few years of buying the ‘sexy’ knives people (I’m VERY much in this camp) seem to end up looking for more practical options (like the RJ) that tick all the dependability boxes, rather than just chasing the new.

Time to put my money where my mouth is and pick up a pile of them.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i wanted a rj pretty bad because of the handle. however, i kind of wanted an overall smaller knife to fill that wc blade role and ended up going with a delica wc. ultimately, the more neutral rj handle design in the size of a delica would've been preferable for me, but i've learned to love my wc delica. i really think i would've loved the rj though. might still pick one up just because, but i'm more inclined to try the k390 leaf instead at this point.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
... It's still too soon to determine if the "Handle Forward" concept for Lock-backs will continue to be in the line.

Hi Sal,

this is worrysome to read... I think the handle forward design in lockbacks is great (as are the actual handle ergos of the RJ.

And I know there are quite some folks here eagerly awaiting that "Sequoia" / "Leaf Jumper XL" which I envision to be kind of a backlock Caribbean, if not even a bit larger (4" blade).

Would you care to hint how things are concerning that project? Is it endangered cause as you say the whole handle forward concept is a bit?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:49 pm
sal wrote:
... It's still too soon to determine if the "Handle Forward" concept for Lock-backs will continue to be in the line.

Hi Sal,

this is worrysome to read... I think the handle forward design in lockbacks is great (as are the actual handle ergos of the RJ.

And I know there are quite some folks here eagerly awaiting that "Sequoia" / "Leaf Jumper XL" which I envision to be kind of a backlock Caribbean, if not even a bit larger (4" blade).

Would you care to hint how things are concerning that project? Is it endangered cause as you say the whole handle forward concept is a bit?
Oh man, I hadn’t even considered that implication. The Caribbean may well be my all time number 1 rated design of any knife from any manufacturer. A large part of that is its handle forward design. A giant back lock or CBBL Caribbean would be utterly fantastic.
- Al

Dream knives -
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I’ve been using the RockJumper for a while now. It’s become a favorite. Picked up a couple more SE just now. Nicely made. No jimping on the spine. Great handle. Smooth action. Shame they didn’t catch on.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve just picked one up in SE from Knifecentre. Assuming this is my usual MO it will quickly become my favourite and I will spend the next year prowling for back ups on the secondary market for when it wears out (a la Caribbean leaf SE).
- Al

Dream knives -
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:00 am
Wartstein wrote:
sal wrote:

Hi Sal,

Oh man, I hadn’t even considered that implication. The Caribbean may well be my all time number 1 rated design of any knife from any manufacturer. A large part of that is its handle forward design. A giant back lock or CBBL Caribbean would be utterly fantastic.
“Handle Forward concept for Lock-backs”

This “concept” is not going anywhere and will still be used on designs, like the Caribbean, with liner based locks. It is the “handle forward concept for Lock-backs” that Sal was specifically experimenting with by designing the Rockjumper.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:40 am
JoviAl wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
sal wrote:

Hi Sal,

This “concept” is not going anywhere and will still be used on designs, like the Caribbean, with liner based locks. It is the “handle forward concept for Lock-backs” that Sal was specifically experimenting with by designing the Rockjumper.

Sure!

But that is what Al and I are talking about anyway, right?

"Handle forward design [concept] in lockbacks" - I am worried that if that particular concept does not (quote) "continue to be in the line" as it might happen referring to Sal, consequently the "Sequoia" (which could be kind of a backlock Caribbean) might never make it into production... :worried
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:38 am
Mushroom wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Hi Sal,

Sure!

"Handle forward design [concept] in lockbacks" - I am worried that if that particular concept does not (quote) "continue to be in the line" as it might happen referring to Sal, consequently the "Sequoia" (which could be kind of a backlock Caribbean) might never make it into production... :worried
That was what I was getting at yeah - I like the handle forward design of my Caribbean and would be sad not to see similar iterations with a back lock (or a power lock 🤤!).
- Al

Dream knives -
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:38 am
Mushroom wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Hi Sal,

Sure!

I do not mean to speak for Al but he did explicitly mention the Caribbean design.

In regards to the handle forward lock-back concept, Sal said it is still too soon to tell. You seem to be hearing that with a pessimistic perspective. “Too soon to tell” does not mean it’s being phased out yet. It means they need more time to see how the market reacts.

The Rockjumper was not enough of a sample size to get an accurate gauge of how the concept is received by the general market. The Leafjumper remains in the lineup and appears to have greater demand than the Rockjumper, as Sal stated. To me that sounds like Spyderco could still find reasons to continue using the handle forward lockback concept on future designs.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The last sentence by Sal at least gives hope that the Rock Jumper may come back in a limited production in the future . I personally like that idea and hope to see it happen . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Just out of interest I wonder how many climbers actually bought one 🤔 I’m an avid Trad and sport climber myself of 20+ years and I have literally never heard Spyderco mentioned in that community. It’s pretty rare that I need a knife when climbing admittedly (you can cut rope and rap cord by hitting it with something hard like a rock or a cam lobe while it is pulled tight over a feature in the rock). I do carry a knife in my sport route bolting kit, but I’ve barely used it climbing in over 18 years of ownership - it’s just there in case someone has left ab tat on a bolt hanger that is blocking the hole. I’d be up for swapping it for a Spyderco but it is hands down the least used knife I own.
Attachments
771689a4-dd19-49ca-9943-57e58374b404.jpeg
- Al

Dream knives -
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Well I don’t do much rock climbing although I have on occasion, but this type pays better 😉