CCW revolver

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: CCW revolver

Post by Doc Dan »

Pokey wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:38 pm
Halfneck wrote: [quote=benben post_id=<a href="tel:1748248">1748248</a> time=<a href="tel:1697642827">1697642827</a> user_id=19145]
[quote=Halfneck post_id=<a href="tel:1748179">1748179</a> time=<a href="tel:1697599498">1697599498</a> user_id=4301]
Ruger LCR is my pick.

I use to own a S&W 36-2. Shot it well enough, but always thought the trigger could use some work. Then I traded into a Ruger LCR. Better trigger, no hammer to snag, and I shoot it slightly better.

About the only thing I found better about the S&W J-frames is they are slightly smaller in size compared to the Ruger LCR.

Re: Taurus

Their revolvers have always been pretty decent. I've heard that the company is trying to turn their image around. While not a revolver, my buddy's Taurus GX4 impressed me.
The LCR in .327 Federal Magnum looks interesting. Plus one more round of capacity over .38, 9mm, and .357 Magnum.

Underwood Xtreme Defense....
1500 fps at the muzzle.
475 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy.

I'm not too keen on going with another cartridge outside of the mainstream calibers, but that'll get it done!

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.html
Re: .327 Mag - read different articles that say that the .327 Mag is a good round, BUT it is very loud & the recoil is almost on par with .357 Mag.
[/quote]

The operating pressure of the .327 Fed Mag is higher than the .44 Mag, that’s why they’re noisy.
[/quote]

Recoil of the .327 should be on par with a 9mm revolver since it practically duplicates it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like revolvers. I have a 360 and a SP101.

I carry the 360 but my version is long discontinued and the 360pd currently available is crazy expensive. I definitely recommend it but you can almost buy both a j frame and an lcr for that much money.

My SP101 is the 3” version and it’s fairly heavy. I mostly carry it when I’m bumming around the woods doing things like foraging mushrooms or checking trail cameras. I have rarely carried it as a CCW.

As far as caliber goes I’m not interested in .327 mag. I want to like it but the extra round isn’t worth dealing with a new caliber when I already reload 38/357 and it’s easy to buy. I also don’t like the idea of 9mm. Revolver rounds should headspace off the rim with a strong roll crimp. I carry my revolvers with .357 and shoot .38 in them for fun. If .357 recoil is too much then I think .38 and .38+p are both fine. My most carried pistol has alway been a lcp in .380. Rule #1 is to have a gun you can shoot.

I am not interested in Taurus or Charter Arms. Life is too short for cheap guns.

If I was gonna buy one now it would be a 637 or a lcrx. I like hammers on my revolvers. I think 38+p is plenty but if I wanted a .357 I’d get the LCR because .357 j frames are so expensive.

All that said, I bought a p365 this year and haven’t looked back. The old 360 hasn’t seen much carry.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I absolutely LOVE my model 19-3
It was my dad's service revolver that he retired with. And it has the sweetest action of any revolver I've ever fired.
With the ammo being produced now a days, 38 special is a very viable option.
Of course, the .357 Magnum is legendary.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

My experience with the Taurus revolver 856, 2" barrel and 357mag, I bought 20 something years ago was...not good. The Tx22 I shot not long ago was really nice though. Word mill says they have greatly improved on things. I wont spend the money on them to find out if they are really better now or not, so take that how you want.

I got rid of that thing for the Ruger SP101, 2" barrel and 357mag shown below. I love it. It has been with me though lots of mountain trips, camping trips, night stand gun, truck gun etc. It loves a nice steady diet of 357 as that's all I have ever fed it. Runs like a top and much more accurate than I can be... I will never get rid of this gun.

Have not shot an LCP, so I cant give an opinion. I will say I have not seen anyone really say anything negative about it and as shown above it gets recommended a lot. And it is a Ruger, I like Ruger revolvers so probably would not hesitate to get one.

I have shot a couple of J-frames, my current one for carry, also shown, is a 340PD. Current stoking is with Underwood 38spl 150gr coated Wadcutters at 1000fps. Before that I carried a basic 642. The 642 was traded in on the 340PD, I wish I had kept it for training purposes.
My comparisons:
The 340PD, being way light, is much more of a handful and not as pleasant to shoot for extended periods as the 642 was. 357 in the 340PD is brutal, 38+p is less so, 38spl is alright for a little while, usually after 2 50rd boxes my hands have had enough vs. the 642 that was just getting warmed up even with +p in the 642 that was still only a warm up. I like the fact that I CAN shoot 357 through the 340PD though. If I needed that level of oomph in that light and small of a package, I could get it and use it in there.
The 340PD disappears in my pocket because it is so light vs. I knew I had the 642 in my pocket.
They are identical in size so fit the same holsters and my same pockets. They drew the same from said holsters and pockets.
I do like the sight a lot more on the 340PD, an XS big dot would make it even better. I never had any problems with the 642 sights though, being they were basically the same as the SP101s and a lot of other stuff I have or do shoot.
carry.jpg
twoofem.jpg
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I do like semi-automatic pistols, especially SIG Sauer, but I find comfort in a revolver.

When it comes to revolvers, I stay with Smith & Wesson and Ruger. I prefer a .357 magnum for a revolver since you can also shoot .38 Special and .38 Special +P in it.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!