Siren in Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RazorSharp86

Siren in Magnacut?

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Given that the Salt series lineup is getting Magnacut, slowly but surely, is there a plan to release a Siren (perhaps in yellow or orange G10) with Magnacut steel?
I use this knife nearly daily on my Kayak, and it is one of the most important tools I own.
Wartstein

Re: Siren in Magnacut?

Post by Wartstein »

Sadly the Siren got discontinued... perhaps though they (resp. Lance Clinton) could do a Siren 2?

Featuring your ideas, but also a boye dent (without one the blade can get a bit loose and rattly when holding the knife firmly in a sabre grip) and an SE version?

I personally would prefer FRN though (and am aware of the costs for the molds!)

Alternatively a "Wayne Goddard Salt" would offer quite some similarities to a Siren in some aspects imo.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:00 pm
Sadly the Siren got discontinued... perhaps though they (resp. Lance Clinton) could do a Siren 2?

Featuring your ideas, but also a boye dent (without one the blade can get a bit loose and rattly when holding the knife firmly in a sabre grip) and an SE version?

I personally would prefer FRN though (and am aware of the costs for the molds!)

Alternatively a "Wayne Goddard Salt" would offer quite some similarities to a Siren in some aspects imo.

Great point on having a boye dent added!
The blade does get alarmingly loosen you grip the handle tightly, in its current configuration.

I would prefer to have it in G10, honestly. It feels a bit more premium, and there are enough “LW” models that use FRN, already.

Sad to hear it has been discontinued. I really hope a Siren 2 with Magnacut is something Spyderco can consider making. For a fisherman like myself, it is by far the best knife design!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

One of my favorite knives , I would love a new Magnacut version and also a Siren XL. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:57 pm
One of my favorite knives , I would love a new Magnacut version and also a Siren XL. MG2
I'd love a Siren XL. The Siren as it is came close to EDC perfection for me. Just a touch small for my grip and blade length preferences. Another half inch of blade & handle would be perfect for me.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:00 pm

Great point on having a boye dent added!
The blade does get alarmingly loosen you grip the handle tightly, in its current configuration.

I would prefer to have it in G10, honestly. It feels a bit more premium, and there are enough “LW” models that use FRN, already.

Sad to hear it has been discontinued. I really hope a Siren 2 with Magnacut is something Spyderco can consider making. For a fisherman like myself, it is by far the best knife design!

I would not say that the blade on mine got "alarmingly loose" when gripping the handle very tightly - it was noticeable, "rattled" a bit, but did not come close to a safety issue whatsoever - and again, this only occured in a very tight sabre grip, never when putting the thumb on the spine like most people do (before anyone asks: Yes, I had the cqi - ed "new" Siren version).

Still, a boye dent would be good, and though it can actually quite easily be added diy anyway, still not every customer can or wants to do this.

/ I most likely would have kept my Siren if it had had an FRN handle (and definitely in SE), but I agree: Even more so in the light ofd the last Reveal we really have a very good choice of FRN Salt models, and putting my personal preference aside, it would not hurt to get a G10 "Siren 2"
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:19 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I'd love a Siren XL. The Siren as it is came close to EDC perfection for me. Just a touch small for my grip and blade length preferences. Another half inch of blade & handle would be perfect for me.

If they gave it a handle (-end) like the in several aspects pretty siren - ish Goddard has, at least the handle issue would be solved for you.
My own hand fitted just fine on the Siren handle, but just a tad shorter and the grip area would have been to short for me. This is cause the handle end curves upward pretty soon where the fingers sit (and so reduces the available grip area - unnecessarily, in my view).
The Goddard does not do that, and so offers a clearly longer grip area.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:19 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
+1
Just a bit larger would be nice, and I'll take all the steels you've got.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

A Siren XL would be awesome. I really like Lance's design work on both the Waterway and the Siren and I was really bummed to see them discontinued. I even bought a CF/S90V Siren to be my one "fancy" knife. Maybe the market niche for those just isn't as big as everyone hoped?
wocket

Post by wocket »

I like the Siren a lot, really appreciate the G-10 construction with perfectly fitted & finished back spacer & lock bar, the best I've ever seen on a lockback.
A Boye dent would help me, same reason as above.
An XL would be interesting too, especially if the lock bar moves away from the meaty part of my palm, to solve the same problem :)