Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Post by Cl1ff »

I like the fishbone ideas.
It also reminds me of some past Byrd patterns, which I’m fairly fond of.

Especially this one of mine and some previous FRN texturing too. Image

That old Raven has an aluminum handle which reminded me of something.
I think Spyderco could do the larger lightweight compression lock salts in linerless aluminum.

You know, like those BD1N/Aluminium BladeHQ exclusives.
That would be lighter, strong, and reduce parts that could potentially corrode.

Keep this same milling pattern, though!

I think the long line interrupting the shorter arcs and the peel-ply texture is also a significant improvement that solves the problems with the Caribbean’s stock handle.

That line might somewhat help the pocket clip smoothly slide in and out of your pants, even in if the tip down position clip doesn’t quite land on the pad.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm looking ay my plain black G-10 PM2 right now, and I can definitely say I prefer both new options.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:56 pm
I wonder, will the new Salt PM2 fit typical aftermarket scales?

I like Maganacut, but don't care for the black and yellow. I'd love to throw some Micarta on there!
RIT dye is your friend
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

From the Spyderco 2023 Retail Price Guide Volume 4 and the prices below are MAP (30% off MSRP), it looks like the Satin MagnaCut PM2 is priced higher than the Black DLC MagnaCut PM2. It could be a mistake in the price list (reversed) or those yellow stripes are awfully expensive (and ugly)!

• ParaMilitary2 S45VN Satin Blade Black G-10: $185.50
  • ParaMilitary2 S45VN Black DLC Blade Black G-10: $199.50
  • ParaMilitary2 MagnaCut Satin Blade Yellow-Black G-10: $220.50
  • ParaMilitary2 MagnaCut Black DLC Blade Black G-10: $206.50
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Interesting. I'm guessing printing error.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:45 am
Interesting. I'm guessing printing error.

BladeHQ & KnifeCenter have the correct MAP prices, that is, $206.50 for the PM2 MagnaCut Satin Blade and $220.50 for the PM2 MagnaCut Black DLC Blade. The Spyderco 2023 Vol. 4 price list has the description reversed but the SKU, UPC and MSRP are correct.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That makes much more sense. It's kind of always been that way.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Personally, I don’t like the yellow stripes on the G-10 scales of the satin model (makes it look like a bumble bee). I think they should’ve put a yellow stripe on the side like they did with the Thin Blue or Red Line Delica, Endura, etc. Much cleaner that way.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:15 am
Personally, I don’t like the yellow stripes on the G-10 scales of the satin model (makes it look like a bumble bee). I think they should’ve put a yellow stripe on the side like they did with the Thin Blue or Red Line Delica, Endura, etc. Much cleaner that way.

May be just me and just a guess the Yellow / Satin could be a dedicated Salt and for high visibility. Where the blacked out model could considered more of a street / working land variant. I also could be totally wrong . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:00 am
RamZar wrote:
May be just me and just a guess the Yellow / Satin could be a dedicated Salt and for high visibility. Where the blacked out model could considered more of a street / working land variant. I also could be totally wrong . MG2
With MagnaCut I don’t see a need for a Black DLC Blade for extra corrosion resistance but a Blacked Out version does make it stealthier.

A few thin streaks of yellow doesn’t give it much visibility. If the entire scales were a hi-vis color that’d be different. However, making it all yellow G-10 would probably make it less attractive for purchase.

Anyway, I hope when they plan for the Military2 Salt MagnaCut with Satin Blade a better option arises.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:13 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:00 am
RamZar wrote:
With MagnaCut I don’t see a need for a Black DLC Blade for extra corrosion resistance but a Blacked Out version does make it stealthier.

A few thin streaks of yellow doesn’t give it much visibility. If the entire scales were a hi-vis color that’d be different. However, making it all yellow G-10 would probably make it less attractive for purchase.

Anyway, I hope when they plan for the Military2 Salt MagnaCut with Satin Blade a better option arises.
I agree , I hope the Military 2 will have its own identity and not just repeat the PM2 variants . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:22 am
Freediver wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:04 am
IMG_6134.jpeg
The scales

I plan on buying both versions
LOL!

*The scales looking at my wallet*
Haha! Yeah, Spyderco has a flawless victory with this one.
James Y

Post by James Y »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:20 pm

I’m hoping that when the actual product comes out, that the clip’s contact point will line up with the flat spot in the middle of the G10 scales, like it does with the Caribbean.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:40 pm
I’m hoping that when the actual product comes out, that the clip’s contact point will line up with the flat spot in the middle of the G10 scales, like it does with the Caribbean.

Jim

You mean after you switch the clip from tip down to tip up?
James Y

Post by James Y »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:56 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:40 pm

Jim

Yes, I always carry my PM 2's tip up. But from the pic, that flat spot looks the same distance from each end, so I'm not sure if it would make a difference which end the clip is on (as shown in the pic).

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

@ Jim:
Yes, but if you look where the holes for the clip screws are, the end of the clip will be positioned closer to the middle and by that rather on that flat spot in the tip up position (17 yellow stripes from the flat spot to the first clip screw hole for the tip down position, but just 15 stripes to the first tip up hole)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:24 pm
@ Jim:
Yes, but if you look where the holes for the clip screws are, the end of the clip will be positioned closer to the middle and by that rather on that flat spot in the tip up position (17 yellow stripes from the flat spot to the first clip screw hole for the tip down position, but just 15 stripes to the first tip up hole)

Oddly enough, I also counted the stripes and noticed the small difference. But as the clip looks in the pics, I still don't think a difference of 2 stripes' width would put the clip's contact point on the flat part, even positioned for tip-up carry.

The clip looks really short in the pics, so I'm hoping that was an effect done for a clearer look at the clip side handle scale, and that the actual clip reaches the flattened-out center.

Jim
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

When I did a poll in January 2023 about carry preferences 74% said Tip Up Right Hand. You’d think Spyderco would listen and change both ParaMilitary2 & Military2 to that configuration from the factory instead of the personal preference of the designer to be Tip Down Right Hand.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:28 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:24 pm

Oddly enough, I also counted the stripes and noticed the small difference. But as the clip looks in the pics, I still don't think a difference of 2 stripes' width would put the clip's contact point on the flat part, even positioned for tip-up carry.

The clip looks really short in the pics, so I'm hoping that was an effect done for a clearer look at the clip side handle scale, and that the actual clip reaches the flattened-out center.

Jim

My logic might be to simple, but I see it that way :

- For tip down the distance from the flat spot to clip screw placement is 17 stripes, for tip up is 15 stripes: Difference of 2 stripes. (Stripes all having the same distance to each other appearantly)
- In the pic it looks like the clip would land like 2 stripes away from the flat spot in the tip down position
- So with 2 stripes of distance less, like it actually is the case in the tip up position, the clip should land right on the flat spot...

Could be wrong of course.

/ And I think they actually can´t make a clip that lands on the flat spot in both the tip up AND tip down position - unless they
a) make the flat spot area wider or
b) change the position of the clip screw holes (give those equal distance to the flat spot in both the tip up and down position
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Maybe this will be my chance to get a Peel-Ply CF Salt! I gave up on the Caribbean, but this fishbone design would look amazing with peel-ply CF as well!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”