Thin for the win. I'm back in.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ykspydiefan

Thin for the win. I'm back in.

Post by ykspydiefan »

I've got a date with the one point eight. And, hey I've been way for awhile. Canada had some forest fire evacuations, kids get some flu and what's one to do.... Anyway, the Catcherman has me excited enough to post up again.

So, has any forumite asked for thinner blade stock? +.2mm to the next thinnest.

I like the utilitarian essence. I own no folding fish knives, I sure like the looks of the ergos, and I know I will never hold one unless I buy one or two ;)
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
ykspydiefan

Re: Thin for the win. I'm back in.

Post by ykspydiefan »

Catcherman.

I pulled the trigger today. Blades Canada/Warriors and Wonders has 11 showing in stock.

Catch when catch can.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

:party-face
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:30 pm
So, has any forumite asked for thinner blade stock? +.2mm to the next thinnest.
Oh man, you´re charging an open door with this, at least when it comes to me...

My main "quest" here is to ask for a longer (endela-size) Chaparral, mainly for the 2mm bladestock (see here for example viewtopic.php?p=1377379#p1377379)

Also, so far I did not hear folks describe small folder tasks where the 2.5 mm stock of the ffg Delica or Salt 2 would have been "too weak".
I really use my Salt and Chap hard (for a folder), no issues whatsoever yet, just the benefits of the better slicing geometry the thinner stock gives.

I can see that thicker stock makes it more comfortable to put the finger on the spine, offers more lock interface (though the 2mm stock Chap and 2.5 mm Delica backlocks are way strong enough) or is advantageous in the few tasks where on actually WANTS a more "wedge-like" blade.

Other than that, functionally speaking: The 3.2 of a Native or even 3.7 of a Para 3 are just to thick for my liking.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I was never tempted by the Para3 because of the overly-thick blade. It is useful on its bigger brother the PM2 in certain tasks. The 2.5mm FFG Delica blade is plenty thick for my uses.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have no need at all for blade stock greater than 3.0 mm, 2.5 would be better for me in general, and much of the time 2.0 would be better yet. 2.0 mm is thin enough (and thick enough) for most of my uses, but sometimes I like even thinner. My favorite Spydercos for household use are the Chaparral and Pattadese at 2 and 2.5, respectively, and my favorite non-Spydies are around 1.7-1.8 mm.

Thin for the win. Too bad it's not in.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

That Charisma model shown at the Amsterdam show up looks amazing for that reason