Where does the Tenacious stand at 15 years old?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kontei

Re: Where does the Tenacious stand at 15 years old?

Post by kontei »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:15 am
May I ask: For what reasons?

Cause I have to say: The two Tenaciouses I had were of better quality / fit and finish than most of my Seki knives (which are perfectly fine already too, don't get me wrong)

Two is of course not a representative sample though.
Of course you may ask.

I always carry a keychain knife and the Grasshopper's scales get scratches over time + I am not so happy with the steel. My Seki keychains (Ladybug VG10, Manbug Wharncliffe VG10, Manbug K390) solved that issues.

Regarding the Tenacious, I'm not happy with the steel, too. Plus in my opinion the Spydie-Hole is too small.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

The heat treat on the s35vn tenacious is the best s35vn i've ever used. It's a night and day difference compared to other stuff I tested. I bought mine on a sale deal and I've enjoyed it immensely. At 60 bucks it's a steal, at 100 bucks it's still a good value. Even the 8cr is no slouch either and works well with the sharpmaker. To me the mules are just the fixed blade version of the tenacious. I'm a fan of the design so I'd like to see it stick around. Maybe see newer steels or handle materials like terotuff.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Agree with the other comments that on paper it looks like less of a good deal vs competition these days, but if you value the effort Spyderco puts into design it may still be well worth it vs the shotgun-pattern design of the month approach taken by other companies.

I owned a Tenacious about a decade ago and found it pretty cheap-feeling compared to a basic Endura (which was only $60-70 at that point) and so gave it to a friend. Went for an Astute instead when I needed something cheaper for travel a couple years ago and have been happy with it. Personally would probably still take an Astute, Emphasis, or Efficient before a Tenacious if I need another cheaper knife.

S35VN and M4 Tenacious are tempting but at regular prices it's starting to compete with K390 or 20CV or other exclusive Delica/Endela/Endura. I kind of keep an eye out for sales. Wartstein's original thread singing the praises of his S35VN almost got me to order one then and even if he's slimmed the collection down I haven't forgotten it. :)

Really can't agree with the design comments enough, though. If the Tenacious does it for you - in S35VN, M4, or just 8Cr13MoV - go get it and don't look back.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
kontei

Post by kontei »

I agree with @Skywalker.

For the price of a premium steel Tenacious, e.g. a Delica Wharncliffe k390 can be obtained.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wish they'd up the base steel to 9 or 10cr or a 13c26 variant.

Does the tenacious and polestar feel that different in hand? Visually, they look very similar.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

If I had to wish one new knife, it may be a Tenacious Salt. I really like the shape, including the lenght and the handle forward.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20231011_104946_Gallery.jpg
Comparison pics of tenacious and the polestar. The biggest differences I've noticed between the 2 is how much more versatile the polestar is in different grip positions. The thumb ramp offers flexibility which I like, tenacious doesn't. The jimping is more aggressive whereas polestar is finer which I prefer. I like smaller grip area around my pinky finger when I'm holding a knife. Just like a manix. Bd1n tested for me atleast pretty well performance wise. It's very similar to above average m390 in terms of stability, strength,toughness, and edgeretentuion. But about half the cost. K390 is still a better deal tho.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231011_105053_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231011_105018_Gallery.jpg
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I dipped my toe in Spyderco’s waters with the OG Tenacious. I think Nutnfancy had drawn my attention to it.

I liked the very low cost of entry, its factory-sharp blade with new-to-me edge-retention, its solid feel in my hand, and its spare design.

Like many Spyderco newbies, I soon bought more Spydies. Once I had used my Manix2 and PM2 for a while, I gave my Tenacious to a friend. I preferred the more refined design and execution of my newer Spydies, varied though their designs and materials have been.

Moreover, long before I discovered Spyderco, I had decided for political reasons to avoid China-made products if I could find satisfying alternatives, such as ones found in Golden, Seki-City, Taichung, and Maniago.

So, the Tenacious (its evolution and its family), not to forget the Byrds, have not factored in my Spydie acquisitions since I gave away my first Spydie back in 2011ish.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'm pretty ambivalent about the Tenacious, primarily due to the size. It's not quite small enough and not quite big enough, all at the same time if that makes sense. But put a Resilience in my hand and I'm a very happy camper.
Hydrashok

Post by Hydrashok »

araneae wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:45 am
I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on the Tenacious as 2023 is nearing its end. In 2008 the Tenacious debuted and not without some controversy. Many declared this Chinese Spydie as heresy or junk with a Spydie bug on the blade. For a lot of others it was an introduction to Spyderco, a favorite and a trusted work knife. In 2008, 8Cr13MoV was a somewhat unknown knife steel, looked at with some skepticism. Spyderco put it on the map with the Tenacious and it became the standard entry level Chinese knife steel for almost anyone making a decent bargain price knife in China. It has had it's detractors, but many including myself found it serviceable as a working steel despite somewhat modest edge retention.

Steel aside, the Tenacious brought many of the things Spyderco was known for to the budget market. 4 way clip carry, one hand opening, quality build, ergonomic design and a warranty to back it all up. Pricing put the Tenacious within each of almost everyone. It seemed to be a hit, and was probably the budget knife king for a lot of years. Since that time we've seen variations of handle and blade materials, and even several limited runs and exclusives, something that tends to signify positive sales figures. The Tenacious line grew into a family, with a size to fit almost everyone, another indicator of good sales.

That brings us to today. The market today is much different than it was in 2008. The budget market is huge, with entire brands/sub-brands devoted to this segment. Nick Shabazz declared this year that excellence is now the lowest bar in knives. The market generally expects a great knife at a great price. So my question to you forumites is this, in your opinion, how does the Tenacious stack up today?

Is a $60 Tenacious a good value today? How does it hold up against competitors like Ontario's D2 Rat ($45), Kershaw and their variety of D2 options, Civivi Praxis ($42), Kizer Swedge ($47), Vosteed Raccoon ($59), etc.

What would you like to see if there was a Tenacious 2? Upgraded budget steel? Different lock? Ball bearing pivot? Different handles? What is a competitive price for this knife?

My thoughts are that the Tenacious has been a bit lost in a sea of excellent budget options. 8Cr13, while still serviceable doesn't stack up well against 14C28N, or even D2 or 9Cr18MoV. There are great lock mechanisms like cross bars that are perhaps more interesting. And they can be had at lower prices. I'd love to see Spyderco up their game in this area of the market. What are your thoughts on the Tenacious at 15 years?
I think that for a long time the tenacious was a great way to get introduced to spyderco designs and ergos, my first spyderco was a green g10 tenacious with black coated blade, and it’s the knife that made me love the spydiehole and spyderco ergonomics, but as more people make great knives with better steels than 8cr for less money it gets harder to justify buying the tenacious sadly.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

I have to say that I really enjoy even the basic 8cr13mov Tenacious in lightweight version. Yes, 14c28n steel or CTS BD1N would be better but I do like ease of sharpening and touch ups on the basic model, no issues with the steel from my side. Design itself is fantastic, ergonomics, edge to handle ratio... Thicker washers would be nice, better steel would be nice but as a beater knife I really love it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Skywalker wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:19 am
I owned a Tenacious about a decade ago and found it pretty cheap-feeling compared to a basic Endura...

....Wartstein's original thread singing the praises of his S35VN almost got me to order one then and even if he's slimmed the collection down I haven't forgotten it. :)

I am honored by that you still remember that thread!
And I totally stand by my praise of the S35VN Tenacious LW.

My approach to Spydies just is to not own too many and thus really get to use all I own, ideally not more than ten at any point in time (a number my collection still exceeds anyway).
And so I had to make tough decisions, but, as said: If the S35VN Tenacious was not a knife I could get once more anytime I want to anyway, or if it was a bit lighter (about like a Manix LW) I never would have sold it.

Actually, if I owned "just" a regular production Manix 2 LW and not the almost unobtainable again REX45 sprint, it might have been the Manix I would have sold instead of the Tenacious.

/ Concerning "Tenacious vs Endura ": I do still prefer the Endura, but my two Tenaciouses did not feel "cheaper" by any means, rather the opposite.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Personally, even though it is a liner lock, it is a good design. Going forward, I think Spyderco should switch to 14C28N with a good heat treat, and make the knife a bit lighter in weight, somehow. This would make an affordable knife that is more competitive.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:06 pm
Personally, even though it is a liner lock, it is a good design. Going forward, I think Spyderco should switch to 14C28N with a good heat treat, and make the knife a bit lighter in weight, somehow. This would make an affordable knife that is more competitive.

I know you're not the worlds biggest linerlock-fan ;), but the Tenacious lock is really strong imo (on the other hand: SHOULD it fail somehow the fingers would not be as protected as with a "choiled" linerlock knife. Though I have to say: The hidden Tenacious ricasso is pretty substantial, if the knife is held in a rather forward grip the ricasso and not the edge would hit the finger first in an accidental closing. Still not supersafe though).

Completely agree on the weight thing!
The Tenacious "lightweight" should actually be, well, a lightweight ;) - I guess they could achieve that by just a partial liner (like on the Millie 1) on one scale, and pretty much no liner on the other.
On the other hand: As it is now it is very easy to make custom scales for the Tenacious (exposed, not nested full liners). No milling out of the scales needed, but just two flat slabs of whatever material.
This would not be the case anymore with a more linerless version.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:38 pm

/ Concerning "Tenacious vs Endura ": I do still prefer the Endura, but my two Tenaciouses did not feel "cheaper" by any means, rather the opposite.
I wonder if the LW wouldn't feel better to me? I remember part of the problem with the G10 Tenacious was that the G10 had a less textured, more slick/oily feeling compared to G10 from other Spyderco factories.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Skywalker wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:38 pm

I wonder if the LW wouldn't feel better to me? I remember part of the problem with the G10 Tenacious was that the G10 had a less textured, more slick/oily feeling compared to G10 from other Spyderco factories.

If you want more "grippiness", I am sure the LW would be an improvement - just good, bidirectional textured FRN... (MAN; looking at the pic I DO miss my Tenacious... :crying-face )

vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah the g10 on the chinese models feels different than the japanese and us spydercos i've owned. still has a premium feel imo, but its like 90% what the others are if that makes sense.

i think g10 models in general have a higher class feel but the frn models are lighter with better grip. i typically end up preferring the frn versions of knives after using both iterations, like with the Police 4, Resilience, etc. Expecting to feel the same about the Chief.

That said the g10 scales are much easier to keep clean and on larger models have a more consistent draw. Spyderco still hasn't really gotten the smooth pad under the clip figured out on 4" bladed folders, it tends to hang up on the scale texture.
:unicorn
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Spyderco: Hey Bolster do you want to buy some USA made knives?
Bolster: Why yes! [Throws a fistful of hundred dollar bills at Spyderco]
Spyderco: What about some Taiwanese knives?
Bolster: Sounds great! [Throws a fistful of hundred dollar bills at Spyderco]
Spyderco: Would you like some Chinese knives?
Bolster: Gee, they look nice...but I'm all tapped out, no more money, sorry.
Spyderco: So I guess you're not interested in Japanese knives then?
Bolster: I'd love some! [Throws a fistful of hundred dollar bills at Spyderco]
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bought a LOT of Spydercos before buying the Tenacious. It was on sale last year at lamnia, got the SE LW variant for 27€.
Best pizza knife I've ever had ;)

Could not ever center mine, and had to replace the washers since i either had blade play or struggled to open it.
Now I even got a S35VN blade for it. I sometimes swap back to the SE when it's pizzera night !

Made a set of scales for myself and a backspacer. it's not much of what it was but I really like the blade and how close to the handle it comes. Well, I made several sets of scales for people, then one for me. Because of the dozens and dozens of disassembly/reassembly operations, I had to swap the screws for some T8s.

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Wow that's really well done Robin and classes it up nicely.