About grounding/earthing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kwakster

About grounding/earthing

Post by kwakster »

When i first read about it i really thought it was all just nonsense.
Then i tried it (the cheapskate way: by sleeping on a small piece of copper weave cloth attached to a bit of copper wire which is itself attached to a sanded bare section of our thoroughly grounded central heating system)

From day one i fall asleep easier, sleep deeper, dream a whole lot more, and wake up each morning feeling completely rested and with a clear head.
Longer term effects i will still have to find out.

Documentary on YouTube: https://youtu.be/44ddtR0XDVU

Medical background:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4378297/
riclaw

Re: About grounding/earthing

Post by riclaw »

I can't rule it out having put zero effort into research or testing, but I'll take Neosporin and a Band-Aid over sleeping on the ground any day.
- Richard
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

A few more Pubmed links:

Illnesses in technologically advanced societies due to lack of grounding (earthing):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10105023/

Prevention and treatment of COVID-19 infection by earthing:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9381424/

Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/

Grounding – The universal anti-inflammatory remedy:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10105021/

Earthing (Grounding) the Human Body Reduces Blood Viscosity—a Major Factor in Cardiovascular Disease:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576907/

There is a whole lot more reading material on that same website.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

This is a new one on me, thank you for sharing.

I don’t know about earthing, but I’ve had a few instances where not being fully insulated would certainly have been a problem to my health.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

This whole earthing thing sounded so ridiculous to me that i just had to try it out myself, and to my surprise the short term effects are very noticeable.
I think this is typically something that everyone needs to investigate for themselves, or not.

Internet info can be very entertaining and maybe even give you a few pointers, but as always the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
And as my late Mom always said: "research all things, and keep the good".
For me this one is a keeper.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Placebo effect is very real. Grounding or earthing yourself literally has no effect on the human body. What likely may happen however is you will get electrocuted during a lightning storm if you did the grounding "correctly".

I'm sorry, but it's pure pseudo science and has no real world benefit whatsoever.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t know much about it but I spend a lot of time outside barefoot. I’ve always heard my hippie friends talk about being barefoot for grounding. I’m not much of a hippie, more of a country boy, but I am almost always barefoot when working in the garden. I have done it since I was a kid and as I have gotten older I have continued to do it mostly to strengthen the muscles in my feet and ankles. I also just like the way it feels. I’m not sure about grounding but if it’s real then for the six months we don’t have snow on the ground I’m doing a lot of it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:50 am
Grounding or earthing yourself literally has no effect on the human body.
I'm sorry, but it's pure pseudo science and has no real world benefit whatsoever.

Clearly you don't understand science because you didn't watch the right Tick Tock videos and you don't follow the right social influencers. Just watch the videos. Watch them all the way to the end.

🤣

P.S. When you work in the yard barefoot it's easy to get cut up when you're climbing up rocks. And forget about shoveling. It hurts like a sumbish.

th.jpeg
th.jpeg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 3767 times
th-1.jpeg
Bugs_Bunny_Bats_Belfry.jpg
Bugs_Bunny_Bats_Belfry.jpg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 3767 times
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'll have to read the research papers before deciding what to do, you never know. Medical science is in the dark ages and we have a long way to go, maybe 1000 years before we figure everything out. Research on almost every aspect of the human body continues every day.

I do not have much faith in medical science and you are chatting with a guy who has had open heart surgery and went through a 3-way bypass and has an artificial aortic valve in his chest!

I take supplements and there are a lot of arguments which if any help. Since I cannot tell what may benefit me in 10 years I'll keep taking them for now.

No Harm; No Foul.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

An old friend of mine and former competitive kickboxer (in the old days he used to spar sometimes with Rob Kaman) who suffered from chronic inflammation in his shoulders as well as restless legs became curious after hearing about my experiences with my simple grounding set-up.
He hadn't been able to sleep properly for years, and he was fed up with it.
Instead of copying my set-up he bought one of those ready-made earthing sheets for ~ 100 Euro, and i recently spoke to him about his experiences with it.
He told me that during the first week he noticed absolutely nothing, so he was beginning to think it had been a waste of money.
But in the second week both his shoulder inflammation and his restless legs started to subside, and after about two weeks he had his first full night of uninterrupted sleep, and this seems to continue up to this day.
He also told me that he is experiencing "morning wood" again, something that hasn't happened to him in decades,
:grin-smiling-eyes
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:59 am
I don’t know much about it but I spend a lot of time outside barefoot. I’ve always heard my hippie friends talk about being barefoot for grounding. I’m not much of a hippie, more of a country boy, but I am almost always barefoot when working in the garden. I have done it since I was a kid and as I have gotten older I have continued to do it mostly to strengthen the muscles in my feet and ankles. I also just like the way it feels. I’m not sure about grounding but if it’s real then for the six months we don’t have snow on the ground I’m doing a lot of it.
I had a neighbor once that mentioned he liked to walk in the lawn barefoot. He said something about it eliminating charges and that he felt better afterwards.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I’ve worked in the aerospace industry for a bit over 30 years and we always use ESD (electro-static discharge) wrist bands and cables to bleed off any kind of tribo-charging.

I would imagine it’s the same as grounding/earthing.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I've run into random unexplained phenomena caused by knuckleheads grounding/earthing both ends of their shield. Any first year apprentice should know better.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i hate wearing shoes and would much rather feel the earth against my bare feet. i don't know how much stock i put into grounding/earthing as a means of healing or whatever, but i do think it's better for our bodies to feel the earth.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Update:

My wife wasn't too pleased with the bed linen getting a greenish hue within the week due to the all copper earthing material, so i had to think up a little different setup.

For several weeks now we both use just a piece of non-copper multi-strand electrical wire.
One end stripped for just a couple of centimeters, strands twisted, and screw clamped to the grounded central heating panel just behind our bed.
The other end stripped for about 25 centimeters, strands twisted, and made into a loose fitting wrist loop.
No more discoloration of the bed sheets, while still having the same improvement of sleep quality.
The ability to fall asleep more quickly, sleep better/deeper, dream every night, and wake up feeling rested instead of still tired is priceless to both us.

It's very well possible that we might buy two carbon fiber bed sheets in the future, but at least for now we're good.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi Kwakster,, this sounds interesting.
For someone who gets abused by people for interfering with TV and radios by walking into the room, maybe I need to walk around with a earth wire?
I'm constantly getting electro static shocks.
It used to annoy my ex wife..

If you need need a non-staining wire, tin plated wire is available from marine stores.
It is more corrosion resistant.