if you could only own a 5 Spyderco knife collection:

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: if you could only own a 5 Spyderco knife collection:

Post by vivi »

SaltSerious wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:03 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:01 pm
Aqua Salt PE satin blade original run

Street Beat original run

Pacific Salt 1 H1 PE blacked out

Military M4 DLC

Native Chief M4 DLC
What about the PE Aqua Salt makes your list?
I have one and am not able to keep it as sharp as I like. Have not reprofiled but have tried your coasre edge recommendation. Your 2 cents is greatly appreciated.
Why do I like the Aqua Salt?

- Lighter than most knives in its class, so a good hiking fixed blade
- Rust proof
- Incredibly tough. It'll chop, baton, pry off chunks of wood on stumps to access fatwood, you can hammer the butt end of the handle to drive the tip through things, etc.
- Great sharpening response. Sharpens FAST and easy.
- Pretty much perfectly sized for my hand and my uses. 4.25-5" is my favorite size range for fixed blades. I don't care for the 6-10" range much outside of the kitchen, I'm more of a 4.5" belt knife + hatchet / machete / folding saw kind of guy. Choppers suck in comparison, IMO.

As far as sharpening goes, three tips:

- I get better edge retention from H1 running it closer to the 8-10dps range vs the factory edge.

- Steels with very low carbide volume but high toughness like H1 PE benefit greatly from coarse edges in my experience. While I do keep one Aqua Salt polished for wood carving, the rest of mine I run in the 180-300 grit range, then give them a single feather light stroke on the fine sharp maker rods at 15dps to refine the edge a bit without removing the micro serrations.

- With any composite sheath you want to draw and re-sheath the knife with a bit of pressure being applied towards the spine so you don't drag the edge along the glass fibers embedded in the plastic. You'll see a lot of complaints regarding boltaron soyderco sheaths, secure-ex cold steel sheaths etc. dulling knife edges. Apparently a lot of people haven't figured out if you don't drag the cutting edge on the sheath, it can't dull your blade ;)

Here's a post where I show a few different Aqua Salt edges.

viewtopic.php?p=1734536#p1734536

The satin finished one I've been abusing since the 2000's. No issues with edge stability at all and I've been intentionally rough with it. For perspective the top aqua salt was dropped down to 15 dps and the bevel looks tiny compared to the satin.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-sided-d ... 92867.html - I typically finish my H1 knives on the 200 or 300 grit edge of this stone and I get excellent edge retention with that coarse of an apex + the thin bevel. My H1 knives sharpened this way will out cut S30V as sharpened by the Spyderco factory and it isn't even a close comparison (of course S30V will outcut H1 in most applications given the same edge).

Hope some of this helps you to get better performance out of yours.
:unicorn
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

In no order:

Dragonfly salt hawkbill
Delica K390 warnie
Endura 3 Emerson
Bob Lum Tanto (Any)
Para 2 Maxamet
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

UKPK
Delica
Endura
Manix 2 LW
Manix 2 Back Lock

(I want to put the Dragonfly on here, too, and the K390 Urban)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

My five would be;

1. UKPK (Heinnie Haynes red G-10) leaf blade
2. Lil' Temperance (1st choice is the earlier green G-10 then the newer black G-10) leaf blade
3. D' Allara
4. Stretch (1st choice is the earlier carbon fibre then the newer grey G-10 XL)
5. Chinook 4

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Vivi:
You're welcome! I've learned so much from this place and it's nice to be able to give a little back to others. Thanks to you for sharing all your research and experimentation with H1 - you've helped me along the way quite a bit.

I really like most of Perrin's designs. I'm still hoping that someday we'll see a salty Street Beat and Street Bowie. I picked up a Swick mostly out of curiosity and immediately fell in love with being able to keep the knife securely on a finger while tying knots and doing rigging work. I wish I'd had one back when I was working aloft all the time.

SaltSerious:
I'll chime in on the PE Aqua Salt a little - for me it fills the same niche that my old Mora Companion did for years, but without the rust. It's a multipurpose survival knife for when I'm running around in the woods and on the edges of the ocean. Reprofiling helped me out a lot - I don't remember exactly what I did for edge angle (it was a few years ago) but it was as low as my little DMT guided sharpener would go, and it definitely cuts easier and stays sharp longer. I recently reprofiled an H1 PE Salt 2 using the 15 degree slots on the sharpmaker and that has worked well for me, although I know a lot of folks on here go lower.
WJames137

Post by WJames137 »

1. PM2 (pocket knife perfection/please make a LW)
2. PM3LW (my summer go to due to wire clip & LW)
3. Ikuchi (great suit knife & awesome design)
4. Delica (the classic and not scary to public)
5. Yojimbo 2 (Blacked out adds to the badass look)

I have the new native chief in mail so we’ll see if it reshuffles the order.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:58 am
SaltSerious wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:03 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:01 pm
Aqua Salt PE satin blade original run

Street Beat original run

Pacific Salt 1 H1 PE blacked out

Military M4 DLC

Native Chief M4 DLC
What about the PE Aqua Salt makes your list?
I have one and am not able to keep it as sharp as I like. Have not reprofiled but have tried your coasre edge recommendation. Your 2 cents is greatly appreciated.
Why do I like the Aqua Salt?

- Lighter than most knives in its class, so a good hiking fixed blade
- Rust proof
- Incredibly tough. It'll chop, baton, pry off chunks of wood on stumps to access fatwood, you can hammer the butt end of the handle to drive the tip through things, etc.
- Great sharpening response. Sharpens FAST and easy.
- Pretty much perfectly sized for my hand and my uses. 4.25-5" is my favorite size range for fixed blades. I don't care for the 6-10" range much outside of the kitchen, I'm more of a 4.5" belt knife + hatchet / machete / folding saw kind of guy. Choppers suck in comparison, IMO.

As far as sharpening goes, three tips:

- I get better edge retention from H1 running it closer to the 8-10dps range vs the factory edge.

- Steels with very low carbide volume but high toughness like H1 PE benefit greatly from coarse edges in my experience. While I do keep one Aqua Salt polished for wood carving, the rest of mine I run in the 180-300 grit range, then give them a single feather light stroke on the fine sharp maker rods at 15dps to refine the edge a bit without removing the micro serrations.

- With any composite sheath you want to draw and re-sheath the knife with a bit of pressure being applied towards the spine so you don't drag the edge along the glass fibers embedded in the plastic. You'll see a lot of complaints regarding boltaron soyderco sheaths, secure-ex cold steel sheaths etc. dulling knife edges. Apparently a lot of people haven't figured out if you don't drag the cutting edge on the sheath, it can't dull your blade ;)

Here's a post where I show a few different Aqua Salt edges.

viewtopic.php?p=1734536#p1734536

The satin finished one I've been abusing since the 2000's. No issues with edge stability at all and I've been intentionally rough with it. For perspective the top aqua salt was dropped down to 15 dps and the bevel looks tiny compared to the satin.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-sided-d ... 92867.html - I typically finish my H1 knives on the 200 or 300 grit edge of this stone and I get excellent edge retention with that coarse of an apex + the thin bevel. My H1 knives sharpened this way will out cut S30V as sharpened by the Spyderco factory and it isn't even a close comparison (of course S30V will outcut H1 in most applications given the same edge).

Hope some of this helps you to get better performance out of yours.
Thank you ViVi for taking the time to address my question.
I'm going to have to give my Aqua Salt PE another shot after I sit down and reprofile with the sharpmaker and the CBN rods in the 15° slot.
I was aware of sheaths taking a toll on the edge if not cognizant of how one inserts and removes the knife but it's good to be reminded.

-SchoonerBum
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Aqua Salt.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear WJames137:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Good day to you mr. Janich.
I have to imagine your favorite spyderco knives must include the yo’s and ronins, but I’m curious what other models besides the wharncliffe blade designs that you also gravitate towards the most? Feel free to write back
:bug-red-white
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

He mentioned recently that he carries a Delica wharncliffe in his back pocket for utility purposes. Seems like that model is highly appreciated as a utility knife. Personally, that is one model I think looks better as a wharncliffe.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

1) K390 Endura PE ( all below are PE)
2) CPM Cruwear Endela until Cruwear Endura is made. I'm still waiting.
3) Super Blue Endura
4) 4V Goddard
5) M4 Military
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I've been thinking about this since it was posted. I think I have it figured out, now:

K2
Hundred Pacer
Manix 2 (Maxamet/RSD Ti scales)
Q-Ball
South Fork

Last edited by Giygas on Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
endura3

Post by endura3 »

K390 Delica wharncliffe: fantastic user/EDC knife in my favorite steel

LC200N Atlantic Salt: bigger and easier to use in extremely slippery circumstances

VG-10 Endura 3 SE: will always be my favorite knife

K390 Police 4 G10: long, comfy, great blade shape and geometry, does no wrong

LC200N Autonomy 2: best auto design I've ever come across
vivi

Post by vivi »

nice choices, and seeing users is always awesome!
:unicorn
tangent

Post by tangent »

Pac Salt 2 Plain (LC)
Pac Salt 1 Serrated (H1)
Salt 2 Plain (LC)
Salt 2 Serrated Wharnie (H1)
Native 5 (MC)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:32 am
Good day to you mr. Janich.
I have to imagine your favorite spyderco knives must include the yo’s and ronins, but I’m curious what other models besides the wharncliffe blade designs that you also gravitate towards the most? Feel free to write back
Dear Tristan_david2001:

Thank you for the question.

I have been carrying Spyderco knives in one form or another since I bought a very early Endura Lightweight with integral clip around 1991. I carried that knife (among others) while working in Vietnam and Laos on the POW/MIA mission in the early 1990's. When I went to work for Paladin Press, I was carrying that knife when working with the late, legendary NYPD gunfighter Jim Cirillo. He borrowed it to cut a target and was amazed by the cutting power of the serrated edge. He had always been one of my personal heroes, so I gifted the knife to him right there.

When the Endura and Delica 98s came out--with the barrel-bolt-style reversible clip--I immediately got one of each. The Delica Lightweight has been my go-to back-pocket and primary utility knife ever since. As it evolved into the Delica 4 platform, I upgraded. Currently, my back-pocket EDC is a Delica 4 Wharncliffe in K390.

If I could only own 5 Spyderco knives--and excluded my own designs--my picks would be:

Delica 4 Lightweight
Endura 4 Lightweight
Delica 4 Trainer
Endura 4 Trainer
Police Model (old school, with riveted construction)

It may be a boring list, but it's a well-reasoned list based on years of proven service and a bit of nostalgia.

Stay safe,

Mike
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Kinda a boring list but: Dragonfly, delica, endela, endura, police 4 LW.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Cutlery shoppe PM2 wharncliffe exclusive

15v PM2

Cruwear Shaman

Manix 2 in M4 but scale swap or dye job as the mint green is awful

K390 wharncliffe endura.

Of course It's a tough choice, hard leaving my smock out of it but it's a better looking k ife than some but I posted 5 that would be the best users for me all around
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

I already have them all :D

Ti Military with an S90V blade
Ti Manix 2 in S90V
Ti PPT in S90V
Sage 2 with a Maxamet blade
Drunken
VashHash

Post by VashHash »