Knife Lanyards

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Knife Lanyards

Post by kennethsime »

Can we get a discussion going about knife lanyards? Pictures encouraged.

- Which knives do you prefer with a lanyard?
- What have you used - paracord, leather boot laces, something else?
- How do you tie them? Snake Knot, Fisherman's knot, macramé?
- Are beads useful, or just really cool?

I sat down to tie a paracord lanyard for one of my fixed blades this afternoon and could not for the life of me get the 550 cord through the lanyard tube. I have some leather lace on order - if that doesn't work, I'll order some smaller-diameter paracord.

Generally, I use lanyards when either 1) the handle is too short for me, or 2) a fixed-blade knife sits too deep in the sheath to get a good grip on it.

To get us started, and sorry it's not a Spyderco, but here's a little fixed blade I tied a lanyard for the other day. In this case, both 1 & 2 are true: the handle is too short, and it's difficult to pull from its sheath without the lanyard. It's what I would call a 10x Fisherman's knot, and a poorly-tied one at that. I tried about 6 different snake knot tutorials before I said "screw it," and the worst thing is that I've tied a snake knot lanyard before. :woozy

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ladybug93

Re: Knife Lanyards

Post by ladybug93 »

i like the way they look in pictures, but in use, i always find them in my way. i hate them hanging out of my pocket. i hate them blocking blade deployment. i hate them getting in the way of the blade closing. i hate beads scratching up the blade or scales. i hate the lanyard dangling while i'm cutting.

i want to like them, but they just don't work for me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

nosuchagency wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:45 pm
Man that is one gorgeous Military. I'd love to pick up a frame lock Millie at some point.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I hate to be that guy but...there's a lot of good info here, 92 pages worth.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15815

I also like the looks and like making them but I just hate having stuff flipping around off the side of my pocket so I don't use them except on Ladybugs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

For a while, I put an eye-appealing snake-knot lanyard on each of my Spydies as a matter of habit.

Now, only my Ladyhawk has one, just because the lanyard extends my grip on the knife.

Were I using a big Spydie where a drop might result in its loss (like over water or a cliff’s edge), I’d add a loop of un-fancified paracord without a second thought.

Each of my fixed-blades are earmarked for unpredictable environments and have paracord loops to guard against loss.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:43 am
I hate to be that guy but...there's a lot of good info here, 92 pages worth.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15815

I also like the looks and like making them but I just hate having stuff flipping around off the side of my pocket so I don't use them except on Ladybugs.
Aw shucks, now I feel like a rube. I'll try to give that thread a bump!

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I considered lanyards to be quite ridiculous for a long time. Maybe, to some extent, fueled by the impression that lanyard holes seemed to get priority over clip position on some designs.

This was until I started carrying the smaller knives clipless.
It really enhances access, to the point where it’s easier to retrieve and re-pocket than clipped knives, but also aids somewhat to improve grip/control.

I’m not very experienced in this, but I’ve found that I like to start my lanyards with a tight section of snake knots to prevent the lanyard to swivel around and block the blade path. After that initial section I might leave it open ended or have a section without knots to make it flexible before finishing off with a solid knot or in very rare occasions a bead.

I prefer leather lace, but it all depends on what type of knife and how I plan to use it.

dejawitting

Post by dejawitting »

They photograph well, but in practice I constantly seem to run into them. I despise having them exposed in my pocket. Dislike how they impede sharp object release. When they get in the way of the closing blade, it's the worst. I despise it when pearls mar the blade or fish. The dangling lanyard is really distracting while cutting.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear dejawitting:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I've used & continue to use functional, non-decorative lanyards on some fixed blades & hatchets as a retention aid when chopping. The only folder I keep a lanyard permanently attached is my Ladybug, as it extends the grippable area.

I do appreciate the incorporation of lanyard holes in folding knives larger than the Ladybug, though, since it lets me attach lanyards to them while working on a MEWP as a safety precaution. There are some workplaces where the only manual tools you can take on an aerial work platform are ones that have lanyards that can be secured to your wrist or your safety harness.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’ve tried using lanyards before but always end up taking them off.

This is the one exception though…
6258FD8D-F906-483E-A69B-338D8958D862.jpeg
70C24BA6-AE31-4D3C-AF4D-B06B4CC804F8.jpeg
It gives just a little more purchase.

I’m thinking about making another with thicker cord. This is called a “box knot” if your wondering. It’s not difficult to make.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

In general i'm with Nick Shabazz on the "lanyard mafia" as more than often, lanyard holes can ruin a design. Of course every rule has got it's exception. The Mcbee has got a custom lanyard by Beadfabrik (check him out on IG) because it's a T.A.K.

The Barkriver Gunny has got a custom antler bead to easily pull it out of the sheath. Both the bead and sheath are custom made by double oak leatherworks. I guess if it serves a purpose i'll have a lanyard on my knife.

PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

I use decorative and non-decorative lanyards on all of my folding knives. I will use decorative lanyards on folding knives carried mainly for self-defense. On the other hand, I use non-decorative lanyards on Salts, PM3s , Native 5s and others carried primarily for work, box cutting, gardening, and fishing/hunting/trapping, etc.

The 2-3 knives that I EDC usually include both decorative and non-decorative lanyards. The reasons include aesthetic considerations, the ease/effectiveness of use & the prevention of loss/drop damage.

I have XXL hands so a lanyard seems to help me remove a knife from my pocket easier and gives me an extended grip/grab area. In some cases, lanyards seem to help in applying more blade pressure when in heavy use. I have more to hold onto and grip. Finally, when returning a knife to my pocket a lanyard will give me something extra to grip/grab (than just the knife alone) and perhaps this may prevent me from dropping or losing it.
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Friend runs Young Marine Group, his kids do lanyard & sell at Gun Shows.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I have nerve damage in my right hand and a lanyard helps me get the knife out of my pocket and hold onto it. I also have found that I very much enjoy weaving them so for me its a win win. Keeps my pinkies busy. :winking-tongue