Love of the Nub

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Re: Love of the Nub

Post by araneae »

Splitting hairs here, but the Watu doesn't have a full choil, it basically has a jimped ricasso, sometimes called a kick.

I prefer a full choil with a nub. For larger hands, a choil that fades to the edge is a real safety issue. I've been nipped. Nobody does choils better than Spyderco IMO.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Agreed…it’s a bit annoying to see that point come up on a near-constant basis when people talk about the Shaman. I’ve been “moving my finger” for so long, it’s just a nonissue…it wouldn’t even occur to me if it wasn’t for the fact that other people bring it up.

It’s just odd that “the nub” is a non-starter for certain people when the reality is that it fades into the background after about 20 minutes worth of involuntarily adapting your technique
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the nub doesn't bother me on choils generally. it does bother me on the shaman. it's not that i can't move my finger out of the way or that it hurts if it hits my finger. to me, it just looks like a bit of an inelegant design. i think spyderco could've engineered the knife so that didn't happen, but just settled on the easier route with it popping up there. maybe that sounds like harsh words from a monday morning quarterback, but it serves no purpose coming into that cutout, so it's clearly just some kind of compromise in favor of some other feature.

i'm not saying it's a bad design. i'm just saying it's part of what makes the shaman, yojumbo, lil native, amalgam, sliverax, tropen, etc. less compelling to me from a design standpoint. some people want a handle that is completely full of blade length. i want a blade that doesn't swing through the compression lock path.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I'm pro nub
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

araneae wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:58 am
Splitting hairs here, but the Watu doesn't have a full choil, it basically has a jimped ricasso, sometimes called a kick.

I prefer a full choil with a nub. For larger hands, a choil that fades to the edge is a real safety issue. I've been nipped. Nobody does choils better than Spyderco IMO.

Hairs well split, and I agree: a jimped ricasso is a more accurate term for the Watu. To split hairs even further, I'll not call it a kick because the apex of the ricasso does not serve as a standoff against a backspring, which I believe is a kick's traditional purpose.

You can see why there wasn't more 'nub' on the Watu...ran out of room, when closed.
Attachments
IMG_9065.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:57 am
My question (out of real interest, not to criticize you by any means, btw!) is rather what that nub does for you concerning safety in the particular scenario of dropping the choil on the finger.

I can understand how the nub / a more pronounced guard can keep the finger from slipping forward on the edge when cutting - but when the choil just "falls down" on the finger from above while closing the knife, I don´t really see how the nub enhances safety.
Here is a photo example given my particular finger position when closing it (after pinching the back lock across the handle and using the index finger to push the blade closed).
Notice how the little nub touches the back of the finger. If the choil and sharp part of the blade aligned, closing would have sharp part also touching the finger. Of course, with a shift in my finger down the handle, the nub would then be beside my finger and offer no protection there. But, given that it does touch my finger first as shown here, that lets the nub add a little protection for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TimButterfield wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:57 am
Notice how the little nub touches the back of the finger. If the choil and sharp part of the blade aligned, closing would have sharp part also touching the finger. Of course, with a shift in my finger down the handle, the nub would then be beside my finger and offer no protection there. But, given that it does touch my finger first as shown here, that lets the nub add a little protection for me.

Thanks, Tim, for the further explanation and posting the pic. :clinking-mugs
Appreciate it and can see now what you mean. You have a point here.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Nub is good.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Oh yeah, did not think about the comp locks. Does not cause me trouble but I have 100% of my capacities when it comes to hand movement. Knives like the Watu can be closed easily cause I can remove the finger without risking to throw the knife at myself (and that's good).

I did not think much about safety either, now that I've read the other replies I guess that depends on the handle. For me it's more of a "feeling" thing on the N5. The nub makes the choil more like the original, which had a weird shape compared to most. Handling the knife using that choil is really comfortable. I guess that if it was directly going into an edge, it wouldn't cause me trouble in use. I would feel like the choil is making me loose more edge though, since the kick would be way behind where it sits now :') Psychological edge to handle ratio stress is a reality !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Was looking at other designs the other evening. This is the choil type that looks good, but worries me. Yes, it's just personal opinion. Yes, I should have an open mind, etc. But there's something about a finger choil that terminates in the actual edge that disconcerts me. Wouldn't stop me from buying the knife if I liked everything else about it, but still. When using such a knife in a forward grip, my index finger keeps exploring that sharp corner at the front, as if to reassure itself it's safe. I understand that such choils cause others no problems at all, so it must be a unique issue to me. Perhaps I have "index finger anxiety" and need treatment.
Attachments
Anonymous.jpeg
Anonymous.jpeg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 406 times
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Since using the otherwise outstanding QuietCarry Drift, I will never again buy a folder with a nub-less choil. The corner where the choil meets the blade is even more pronounced than the one above, and it can, and definitely will, cut a less-than-careful finger, as I have proven. I'm talking about while cutting or simply squeezing, not while closing.

I'm not saying I shouldn't be careful when using a knife, just that I shouldn't have to think about it so much. I've never had the same problem with my similarly sized Chaparrals, for instance.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

“In for a penny, in for a pound”, I prefer a nub on a finger-choil, especially when the finger-choil is not jimped and a sharpening-choil sits just beyond.

-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Danke

Post by Danke »

Netherend wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:56 am
I do not know the official term for them but I love the small guard that Spyderco puts on their finger choils. I have seen people call them the nub, or a protrusion but I do not know what they are referred to as by professionals in the knife making world.

I love those little finger guards. They are such a simple and effective safety feature for a knife and they are helpful for sloppy sharpeners like myself . I took a picture of my Bradford Guardian 3 and my Shaman for an example of what I am referring to in this post.

Nub.jpg

The small choil guard/nub is very helpful when push cutting on the fly. It reduces the chance that your hand can slip forward on to the edge. While it is not necessary for all knives it is a safety feature that Spyderco often employs for which I am grateful.

It also helps make sharpening knives on fixed angled system easier and more precise since you have a protrusion that stops when you have reached the end of the edge.
It is hard to see on my picture but I my sloppy sharpening had extended slightly into the finger choil cut out on the Guardian which made for a less comfortable hand hold.

This post is not meant to serve as a detractor for knives that do not have the nub. There are plenty of wonderful designs that do not employ a nub or a finger choil at all. The Guardian 3 is a great little knife and I know that Bradford recently added those nubs to their 3.2 and 4.2 models and I think that it is a useful addition to any knife that employs a finger choil.

Spyderco seems to have mastered the choil quite well. You can see it on the Manix, PM2, Native, Shaman as well as others. It is a great design choice that makes knives safer to use for harder work tasks and for that I am grateful.
Most folks will call that the "kick".
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:54 am
But there's something about a finger choil that terminates in the actual edge that disconcerts me.
The Hogue K320 has the same style choil. I couldn't tell that from the photos since they're all taken from the side. I had to order it to find out, but I knew as soon as I held the knife that I didn't like it.

I now appreciate that Spyderco keeps the full thickness of the blade throughout the length of the choil.
- Richard
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

riclaw wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:27 pm
Bolster wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:54 am
But there's something about a finger choil that terminates in the actual edge that disconcerts me.
The Hogue K320 has the same style choil. I couldn't tell that from the photos since they're all taken from the side. I had to order it to find out, but I knew as soon as I held the knife that I didn't like it.

I now appreciate that Spyderco keeps the full thickness of the blade throughout the length of the choil.

Ouch.
Attachments
Hogue-72823__77550.1659023142-1148463448.jpg