Positive improvements in marketing, social media and other things that I’ve seen recently

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TimButterfield

Re: Positive improvements in marketing, social media and other things that I’ve seen recently

Post by TimButterfield »

This thread makes me wonder something. A possibly rhetorical question might be: On which platform do fans communicate most about the product?

For me, I would guess the total followers may be higher on the larger platforms simply because they are larger, but I would guess communication in both directions may be significantly higher on the forums. I'm just guessing at that, though. It reminds me a bit of the Cluetrain Manifesto book from about 2000. I love how Spyderco communicates in the forum and how they both facilitate communication among customers, but are also a part of it.

I would prefer drop postings be here also, possibly even first. After all, it is an official forum controlled solely by Spyderco instead of some social media conglomerate. For me, a close second would be the Spyderco sub-forum on BF. I have an IG account and follow Spyderco there, but prefer forums for communication. I have a Twitter account that I very rarely visit. I had a FB account that I 'deleted'. Of course, the most direct communication might be email. I subscribe to some vendors to receive info on new stock arriving. If we could subscribe to a drop email notification, that would be great, probably even better for me than a forum post.
p_atrick

Re: Positive improvements in marketing, social media and other things that I’ve seen recently

Post by p_atrick »

I too have gotten off social media so I welcome any info from there ending up in here. However, we are a dying breed. The new customers are out there and not in here. I doubt we will get preferential treatment (i.e., posts first come here).

That said, you should be able to write a script that would fire upon a new post to IG and send out a link to it on a dedicated post here. Getting the info (text, image, video, etc.) out of the post and into the forum may be a bit more difficult. Depends upon what tools are already out there. The key is to make all this happen independent of humans. I'm sure Spyderco employees have better things to do than recreate social media posts on the forum. Of course, some companies charge for access to the API. Then you need to write and host the script(s). It may not be worth the price.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:05 am
dont drop information solely on Insta/Twitter/FB - drop it here on the forum at the same time (or earlier) too.

That makes perfect sense. The LOYAL followers are right here.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Sadly, a lot of good info is only initially available outside the forum.

My only other social media is FB, and I only stumble upon info there by visiting knife groups or even through dumb luck.

Recently, the FB algorithm suggested a video to me from Colorado disc jockey Willie B, who paid a visit to SFO and vlogged about it. In said video, he mentions a discount code for SFO, which I used for a purchase.

I would otherwise not have known about said discount code, as it wasn't announced on the forum, or even on the Spyderco-centric FB groups that I belong to. I mentioned it in the Crazy Good Deals thread, but no one seems to have noticed.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

David's photo featured today on Spyderco's FB page.
Screenshot_20231008_064935_Facebook.jpg
araneae

Post by araneae »

Seeing more of Spyderco on social has been a good step forward, but they are way behind a lot of other brands and that has to have cost them.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Dan's photo was featured on Spyderco's FB page today.
Screenshot_20240130_122009_Facebook.jpg
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That's awesome!!!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:26 pm
You’re famous Dan!!! 👊
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:26 pm
I’m stunned ! Thank you for the heads up Mikey greatly appreciated . This makes up not making the cut for the calendar with this picture. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

You're welcome, Dan.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I’ve enjoyed the MAP holiday sales, they have allowed me to pick up knives that I would normally never buy like the spyderchef, as well as spare / backup knives (Endura K390, stretch 2 K390 next time).