Linerless Chaparral LW and More Colors

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Linerless Chaparral LW and More Colors

Post by elena86 »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:47 am
I propose that the Caly Jr. is about as close as you can get to a linerless Chaparral. Phenomenal knife, IMO. Weighs a little less than a Chap and has a little more blade. Came in black, grey, and burgundy, IIRC.

I must add you to my list of friends 👏 Bring back the Calypso jr. Spyderco !!!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:17 am
I know there’s ultralight nutters that care about this but let’s be real, this isn’t a backpacking knife.

I don't mind being called a nutter, that's OK. Different people have different hobbies, and some people are prone to mock pursuits that aren't their own.

As to a "real backpacking knife," a very common knife used among the UL backpackers is the tiny folding Victorinox Classic. The other common knife is a Vic paring knife at <1 oz. To many (most?) UL backpackers, the Chaparral would be a stout knife.

My UL friends make fun of me for carrying big, heavy knives on trips...like a LW Manix at 2.9 oz, which, if converted to down, could keep me maybe another 10 degrees warmer at night. But a decent knife is my splurge.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:17 am
...but let’s be real, this isn’t a backpacking knife.

:thinking IF one wants a small folder for backpacking, even the current FRN Chap is actually a great choice for that...

- Super thin carry
- Pretty light already
- Still really sturdily built
- A blade that is both thin/slicey and strong enough for even "harder" folder tasks.
(Being a rather thin blade also means one does not have to use as much force when cutting than with thicker blades).
- A lot of blade in relation to the handle length.

I used to carry my Chap a lot as a companion to a larger (fixed) blade in the outdoors. Great for smaller camp and bushcraft tasks!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:44 am
In many ways the Native FRN is the Calypso Jr. Linerless, a little more belly but very similar blade profile and thickness.

I had one for a little while and liked it a lot. Micaela is great. If it hadn’t had the SE completely destroyed before I got it I would still have it. A modern Native with a better contoured handle would be about the same.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:44 pm
elena86 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:44 am
In many ways the Native FRN is the Calypso Jr. Linerless, a little more belly but very similar blade profile and thickness.

I had one for a little while and liked it a lot. Micaela is great. If it hadn’t had the SE completely destroyed before I got it I would still have it. A modern Native with a better contoured handle would be about the same.
No it’s not. Blade shapes are different( thumb ramp and profile) and Calypso jr. is way thinner bte. My burgundy laminated ZDP189 Calypso jr. is a laser bean.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

This thread has me wondering something. I love my Chaparral, but if it is being discontinued (did I hear that right?), how about having a Chaparral 2 Salt similar to the Native 5 Salt, perhaps with additional steel/color options to go with that? Would that achieve what is being discussed here? I know something like this was mentioned, but they just seem so similar to me.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I didn't hear that it was being discontinued. That would be news to me. I have heard speculation about a serrated model coming soon.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Carbon Fiber Chaparral and the Sun and Moon Chaparral were discontinued for 2024. The Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Raffir Noble Chaparral, and Lightweight Chaparral are still in production.
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:29 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:24 am
Would this replace the current Chaparral LW?
Unless it's marked something else in the catalogs there is no Chaparral LW. Is called the "Chaparral FRN"

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C152GY/1095

EDIT: nevermind I see they refer to it as the Chaparral Lightweight in the text
The Annual Product Guides have is listed as “Chaparral Lightweight” as well.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:36 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:24 am
Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want the current FRN Chaparral to be replaced either. I personally think creating a new linerless FRN Chaparral is completely unnecessary and would mostly be a waste of Spyderco’s time and resources. I was just playing my own devils advocate so my post didn't come off as so dismissive.

Even if it was for a Chaparral Salt, I’m not in favor of that either. I’ve said it before and it’s often misconstrued but in my opinion a Chaparral Salt would abandon the integrity of the Chaparral Series. I know Sal has said the Chaparral FRN was introduced as an opportunity to offer more variations but I would still rather see the Chaparral maintain it’s commitment to control and only showcasing different handle materials.
I totally see where you're coming from and respect and appreciate your approach on the Chap (even share it to some extent).

1.)
I think though a linerless and perhaps even FRCP instead of FRN Chap could probably be seen in line of the original idea of displaying different handle materials?
I mean linerless FRCP would be different to lined FRN?
So it could be like killing two birds with one stone: Display a new handle (material) AND give those who want that a lighter Chap at the same time?

Though I am a bit hesitant myself:
IF linerless FRCP it should at best keep the for me defining features of a Chap like very slim carry while still being very rigid plus that extremely bombproof lockup.
Don't know if this would all go together with thin, linerless FRCP...?

2.)
To me the Chap FRN serves its purpose to display another handle material.

But, especially since it's a pretty unique model in Spydercos lineup (2 mm ffg, superthin but very rigid...) to me it would be no detriment to offer this exact same knife which still displays a certain handle material to people who for example could experience it better in a completely rust proof version (steel).
Or just that exact same knife in two or three color variations.
(Or for me in SE... :winking-tongue )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
araneae

Post by araneae »

They could certainly reduce the amount of liner and still accomplish the mechanics needed for the stop pin. I'd probably buy another if they did so.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal