if you could only own a 5 Spyderco knife collection:

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: if you could only own a 5 Spyderco knife collection:

Post by kobold »

Maple Chaparral
Sage 2
Fluted CF Native 5 S90V
Native Chief CF S90V
Fluted Ti Millie

The only piece I miss is the Sage 2, but I have the 1 in Maxamet with custom scales, so I am still happy.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Holland

Post by Holland »

Chaparral 1
Dragonfly salt
Gayle Bradley 2
Junction
Mantra 1

Depending on the day, the Mantra may be swapped out for the Watu
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Here is my list.
  • Delica with my custom scales - This knife has sentimental value, and it is "the one".
  • Wakiita Gyuto - I don't own this knife, but I do way more cutting in the kitchen than outside it. Only makes sense to upgrade to a Spydie.
  • Wakiita Petty - See above.
  • Lil Temp 3 LW in VG10 PE - There's just something about this knife and the way it feels in hand that I love.
I know that's only four, but I'm not sure about the fifth. There are so many cool knives out there, so many steels I'd like to try. I can't really pick a fifth. I'd definitely go for something bigger. My interest in knives far outpaces my need for one in my day-to-day life. Honestly, I'd be going purely with "cool factor" when selecting a fifth, and there are just too many good choices.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chaparral mentioned ELEVEN times so far !

Very cool... seems like people actually do want a real, optimized small cutting tool and reasonably thin bladestock is more popular than I would have thought. Like that! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:40 am

Very cool... seems like people actually do want a real, optimized small cutting tool and reasonably thin bladestock is more popular than I would have thought. Like that! :smlling-eyes
Is there anything that thin in the more affordable Seki/FRN range?
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

LeDe wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:01 am
Wartstein wrote:

I think the delica is probably your best bet there. The ffg delica 4 is a pretty thinly ground blade
:bug-red-white
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:29 am
LeDe wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I think the delica is probably your best bet there. The ffg delica 4 is a pretty thinly ground blade
Ok thanks.
I have a Salt 2 LC200n wharncliff and really like it.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Chaparral LW
Chaparral Stealth Ti
Native 5 G10 w/ LC200N or Magnacut blade swap
Stretch 2
UKPK Salt
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Brouwer
Delica wharncliffe
Native 5
Lil Native lockback spyderedge
Stretch 2 XL grey G-10/Cruwear
Heinie Haynes red G-10 UKPK leaf blade

Yeah, I know that’s six.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

LeDe wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Yes, the Delica has a quite thin blade stock - 2,5 mm ffg vs 2.0 mm ffg on the Chap.

But that´s still 25% thicker.

I only have a sabre ground Delica at the moment, but I do have an ffg Salt 2 (bascially a Delica blade):
Hard to show on a pic (Chap above, Salt 2 below), but I think you can see that the Chap blade is noticably thinner indeed.

This is also, or even more so, true in the last section towards the tip (Chap blade thinner), where one actually could suspect that the Delica is equally thin, cause the longer blade could perhaps taper more.

(One thing: I think the Chap is not exceptionally thin behind the edge from the factory - never actually measured that though)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:35 am
Chaparral LW
Chaparral Stealth Ti
Native 5 G10 w/ LC200N or Magnacut blade swap
Stretch 2
UKPK Salt

... and Chap mentioned 12 times (or actually 13, since you listed 2 variants) ;)

Would not have guessed that it is that popular, but really makes sense to include one in a "five folder system"
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Ok here is mine:

Pacific H1 SE, long blade four outside adventure
Dragonfly H1 SE, would like it to never leave my pocket.
Spydiechef, have had it for a week, please dont scream, but it has become my kitchen knife (cant EDC it here in the UK)
UKPK, nice to know I have a legal option here. Currently have a Gin1 version CE but would not mind a Salt.
Salt 2 LC200n wharncliff PE, so light, I like to carry that along with my DF SE for more lenght and a PE blade.

Honorable mention, Ladybug H1 SE, missed the cut, like it for cuteness but the DF is small enough and I reasonably would be happy with the 5 above.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Aqua Salt
Subway Bowie
Salt 2
Pacific Salt 2
Ladybug Salt

If we're only talking folders, I'd add a Leafjumper and Endela.
northvanbamboo

Post by northvanbamboo »

Endela k390
Manix2 LW Rex45
Endura4 k390 SE
Sage5 LW Maxamet
Chaparral k390

First 3 are my EDC's

Sage5 LW in Maxamet and Chaparral in K390 would be the next thing I will be asking Santa to bring next xmas 🥳😎
vivi

Post by vivi »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:17 pm
Aqua Salt
Subway Bowie
Salt 2
Pacific Salt 2
Ladybug Salt

Good to see some Aqua Salt love.

I haven't tried the subway bowie but the street beat is one of my favorite fixed blades. How are you carrying your perrin?
:unicorn
Grza

Post by Grza »

In no particular order:

Yojimbo 2
Endura Emerson Wave
Manix 2 g10
Sliverax
Paramilitary 2

Honorable Mention:

Para 3 LW
Jot Singh Khalsa
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

1. Dragonfly 2
2. Native 5
3. Para 3
4. PM2
5. SpyderHawk

Ask me the same question again next week and I'm sure I'll have a different answer. :)
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:01 pm
SchoonerBum wrote:
Aqua Salt
Subway Bowie
Salt 2
Pacific Salt 2
Ladybug Salt

I haven't tried the subway bowie but the street beat is one of my favorite fixed blades. How are you carrying your perrin?
I love the Aqua Salt. It was my first Spyderco and is still my favorite.

I've mostly carried the Subway in a pocket or pack - I took it on a 2-week backpacking trip this summer and fell in love with it. I pocket carried little fixed blades for years before I learned to appreciate folders and it still feels very comfortable. It has also been a great secondary tool in a pocket of my paddling PFD. I really appreciate how light and compact it is for being a rustproof and functional fixed blade.

As much as I've fallen in love with it, there are a couple of probably unavoidable limitations:
I had to add a hand-filling lanyard. The handle is tiny and awkward to use without the lanyard to stabilize my last two fingers. With a lanyard it's fantastic.
I'd like to rig it up for horizontal carry on the front of my belt but the angle at which the knife sits in the sheath points further toward the ground than I'm used to. It isn't a lot but it makes the horizontal draw off of the belt just a bit awkward for me. It's easily remedied with a leather sheath but I haven't gotten around to making one yet.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:01 pm
Aqua Salt PE satin blade original run

Street Beat original run

Pacific Salt 1 H1 PE blacked out

Military M4 DLC

Native Chief M4 DLC
What about the PE Aqua Salt makes your list?
I have one and am not able to keep it as sharp as I like. Have not reprofiled but have tried your coasre edge recommendation. Your 2 cents is greatly appreciated.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:56 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:01 pm
SchoonerBum wrote:
Aqua Salt
Subway Bowie
Salt 2
Pacific Salt 2
Ladybug Salt

I love the Aqua Salt. It was my first Spyderco and is still my favorite.

I've mostly carried the Subway in a pocket or pack - I took it on a 2-week backpacking trip this summer and fell in love with it. I pocket carried little fixed blades for years before I learned to appreciate folders and it still feels very comfortable. It has also been a great secondary tool in a pocket of my paddling PFD. I really appreciate how light and compact it is for being a rustproof and functional fixed blade.

As much as I've fallen in love with it, there are a couple of probably unavoidable limitations:
I had to add a hand-filling lanyard. The handle is tiny and awkward to use without the lanyard to stabilize my last two fingers. With a lanyard it's fantastic.
I'd like to rig it up for horizontal carry on the front of my belt but the angle at which the knife sits in the sheath points further toward the ground than I'm used to. It isn't a lot but it makes the horizontal draw off of the belt just a bit awkward for me. It's easily remedied with a leather sheath but I haven't gotten around to making one yet.
Thanks for the feedback.

When I saw just how small the handle ended up being, I decided to pass. I'm not even sure I'd get a solid 3 finger grip without a lanyard. Maybe if I find one discounted I'll give it a shot some day. I'm a big fan of perrins other knives, but they all offer me a full grip, whether the street beat, street bowie, or max knives le baby bowie.
:unicorn