What are the highest edge retention steels that can still be easily/quickly sharpened on the brown sharpmaker stones?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hobbyist

What are the highest edge retention steels that can still be easily/quickly sharpened on the brown sharpmaker stones?

Post by hobbyist »

Ive been favoring ease of sharpen ability recently and have been using a lot of vg10. But I’ve been sharpening s30v on the sharpmaker brown rods and was surprised at how easy it was to get back to shaving sharp.

So it’s made me think, what are the highest edge retention steels that can still be done easily and quickly on the sharpmaker WITHOUT diamond or cbn. Just brown and white.
JoviAl

Re: What are the highest edge retention steels that can still be easily/quickly sharpened on the brown sharpmaker stones

Post by JoviAl »

I wrote a long and articulate response to this, then pressed post and got logged out 🤦🏼‍♂️

In short - Magnacut, S90V and K390 are all doable, with the former being the easiest in my experience (you can dual grit it on a basic sharp maker).
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
vivi

Re: What are the highest edge retention steels that can still be easily/quickly sharpened on the brown sharpmaker stones

Post by vivi »

k390 sharpens just fine on the brown rods.

reprofiling is another matter of course.
:unicorn
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

ZDP189 should also be up there in ease of sharpening on the SM.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Cru-Wear? That is more of a question than a suggestion since I don't have any Cru-Wear myself, but it sounds like a shoe in from what I've heard.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:04 pm
Cru-Wear? That is more of a question than a suggestion since I don't have any Cru-Wear myself, but it sounds like a shoe in from what I've heard.
I find diamond plates massively improve my cru-wear sharpening experience, but it is doable with the standard sharp maker. I like cruwear with a high grit finish as it gets wicked sharp, whereas K390 seems to work really well with a coarse finish (a la brown abrasive rod).
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've found K390 and Maxamet both touch up nicely on the brown stones. As Vivi mentioned, I would never try to reprofile anything using the brown stones much less something like K390 or Maxamet
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

For me “sharpening” involves an entire fresh apex and “touch-up” means to put on a micro-bevel. Am I wrong ?!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:58 am
For me “sharpening” involves an entire fresh apex and “touch-up” means to put on a micro-bevel. Am I wrong ?!
If you apply a microbevel that's a fresh apex ;)

The way I see it:

Reprofiling / rebeveling / setting the bevel: Setting the entire edge bevel to a desired angle. Example: setting a thinner initial edge on a new knife.

Sharpening: Setting a fresh apex with abrasives. Example: refreshing the edge on your pocket knife with the sharpmaker.

Honing: Re-aligning the edge on something minimally abrasive. Example: Doing some edge trailing strokes on a piece of wood or cardboard after using a knife for a prolonged cutting task to help re-align the apex.
:unicorn
elena86

Post by elena86 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:14 pm
elena86 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:58 am
If you apply a microbevel that's a fresh apex ;)

The way I see it:

Reprofiling / rebeveling / setting the bevel: Setting the entire edge bevel to a desired angle. Example: setting a thinner initial edge on a new knife.

Sharpening: Setting a fresh apex with abrasives. Example: refreshing the edge on your pocket knife with the sharpmaker.

Honing: Re-aligning the edge on something minimally abrasive. Example: Doing some edge trailing strokes on a piece of wood or cardboard after using a knife for a prolonged cutting task to help re-align the apex.
So, what did I say ? How do you define “touch-up ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red