if you could only own a 5 Spyderco knife collection:

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: if you could only own a 5 Spyderco knife collection:

Post by JSumm »

Rather than look at my Top 5 because that is impossible for me to choose, I would select one to cover different "categories" that I want.

In no particular order:
1.) Gayle Bradley 2 - One of my favorite Spydies that I could not live without on the larger side.
2.) Caly 3.5 - One of my favorite Spydies that I could not live without on the small medium side.
3.) Military - To have a large work model on hand with good ergos.
4.) Manix 2 - To have a small medium work model on hand with great ergos. I actually prefer shorter blades for a lot of the home improvent/construction work I get into. I like to have the tip of the blade not too far extended. A lot of models have worked great for this (typically 3" blade models), but the Manix is short enough with so many other great attributes that it would be my #1 worker.
5.) UKPK Salt - I wanted a smaller model with thinner blade stock on this list, but I also knew I needed a Salt model in my only 5 too. For a 3" model, the UKPK has my favorite ergos. Thin blade stock and salt proof. One hand open and close with a strong close bias. Fits a couple of desires for me in an only 5 list.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
anycal

Post by anycal »

My top three have been locked in for a while. Of the next top 5, GB2 and Sage 5 are it right now.

Peter
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Based upon my most commonly used/carried/appreciated:

UKPK salt SE
Manbug Wharnie SE
Native V g10 M4
Lil Matriarch (*although I think I may have recently lost it😬)
D’Allara WTC

*1st reserve: Kapara
JackRussell

Post by JackRussell »

One from each country --

PM2 (LH)
Endura CE w wave
Chaparral FRN
Roadie
Uptern
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:09 pm
4.) Manix 2 - To have a small medium work model on hand with great ergos. I actually prefer shorter blades for a lot of the home improvent/construction work I get into. I like to have the tip of the blade not too far extended. A lot of models have worked great for this (typically 3" blade models), but the Manix is short enough with so many other great attributes that it would be my #1 worker.

Exactly so. For house construction work, it's nice to have a tip that's easily controllable, and 3" generally hits that target for me, too. When choked up on the choil, the Manix tip is right at 3". I would never take a Native Chief to a construction site! Would be unwieldy for me. Sometimes I've taken smaller knives for this kind of work, and have wished I had a bit more. Yes, the Manix is nearly ideal for construction-type work, IMO.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:03 pm
Naperville wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:56 pm
1 - Stuart Ackerman's Sustain
4 - Spyderco Native Chiefs

LOL! I guess you know what you like!!
:smiling-halo
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:16 am
100 pacer xhp
Mule rex76
Polestar Bd1n
Pm2 Crucarta
Leaf Jumper k390

I'd put 15V on the list but I have customs from triple b to scratch that itch.
I like the 100 Pacer in XHP and I hope that Spyderco brings it back with a backlock.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

It would be interesting to let this thread run until it slows down, then put all of the models in a list and determine statistics such as what percentage of different lock types, what percentage of different models and different steels.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Pm2
Manix 2
Pacific salt serrated
Endura
Shaman
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

bdblue wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:19 pm
It would be interesting to let this thread run until it slows down, then put all of the models in a list and determine statistics such as what percentage of different lock types, what percentage of different models and different steels.
paging bolster...
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:48 pm
JSumm wrote:

Exactly so. For house construction work, it's nice to have a tip that's easily controllable, and 3" generally hits that target for me, too. When choked up on the choil, the Manix tip is right at 3". I would never take a Native Chief to a construction site! Would be unwieldy for me. Sometimes I've taken smaller knives for this kind of work, and have wished I had a bit more. Yes, the Manix is nearly ideal for construction-type work, IMO.
I'm used to 10" gyutos for my most frequently used knives. It's all relative. The tip control difference between a mini manix and police for me is 100% negligible.
:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:38 pm
Bolster wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:48 pm
JSumm wrote:

I'm used to 10" gyutos for my most frequently used knives. It's all relative. The tip control difference between a mini manix and police for me is 100% negligible.
Well sure for food prep I wouldn't want a Manix, but for reaming out a pipe or cutting into some nasty thick material with a lot of pressure or cutting any material in an attic with your father-in-law right next to you I typically don't grab my Native Chief. Native 5 or Para 3 were go to beaters. Utility knife would probably work best, but that's no fun and what stories can I bring to the table here with a utility knife.😂
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:10 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
100 pacer xhp
Mule rex76
Polestar Bd1n
Pm2 Crucarta
Leaf Jumper k390

I like the 100 Pacer in XHP and I hope that Spyderco brings it back with a backlock.
The pacer was never a big seller for spyderco and the rhino was just too small for me. I don't think spyderco would be able to sell 4inch trailing point blades especially with all the 4 inch blades rolling thru the pipeline. The cold steel talwar has been on my radar as an alternative. The serrated 5.5 inch specifically.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:49 pm
Naperville wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:10 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
100 pacer xhp
Mule rex76
Polestar Bd1n
Pm2 Crucarta
Leaf Jumper k390

The pacer was never a big seller for spyderco and the rhino was just too small for me. I don't think spyderco would be able to sell 4inch trailing point blades especially with all the 4 inch blades rolling thru the pipeline. The cold steel talwar has been on my radar as an alternative. The serrated 5.5 inch specifically.
Hinderer does not have a problem moving a variety of 4 inch knives for $750 to $950 ea.

Make a 4 inch blade, various types, include a liner, S45VN/S90V/M390 and they should sell.

Just copy Hinderer's M.O. 4 inch heavy use knife, throw in full Ti once in a while, premium steels...beat him on sales numbers. If the knives are excellent, I think Spyderco will find buyers.
Last edited by Naperville on Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I thought I had posted, but I don't see it. Here goes again:

Manix 2 15V
Chaparral
Schempp Bowie
Pacific Salt 1 PE
Military Model 52100

That wasn't as hard as I thought.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

P'kal
Police4 G-10 K390
S90V CF Shaman
15V TripleB Manix
Dragonfly Salt
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

The one Spyderco I couldn’t get by without is the Delica! I’d take two: a plane edge and a salt 2 PE wharncliffe. Still playing with SE but not yet on the bandwagon.

After that, two kitchen knives - one about 4” and the other about 7”-8”. Picked up the Spyderco Murray Carter petty super blue to compliment a Murray Carter understudy Fukiyama whatever they be called!

Then at least one more for the kitchen: a minimum of 5-inch serrated. Henkel’s tomato is my guy! Tried a pointed serrated z-cut but like the Henkels more.

And a general purpose fixed blade around 7”-8” overall length, This one currently goes to Buck and BRK.

Well, looks like I’m limited to six.

If I can push it to seven, then a compact bone cutter. Spyderco doesn’t do this, wish they did. Using a Buck and Gerber, but eyeing the Castrom.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Dfly Salt H2 SE
Pacific Salt H2 TiCN SE
Leaf Jumper k390 PE
Manix 2 lw BD1N…magnacut
DLT Endela Cruwear PE
Native 5 Salt Mag PE
Salt 2 wharnie LC SE
Caribbean LC PE
Just couldn’t do five 😉
Last edited by SaltyCaribbeanDfly on Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Dragonfly
Stretch 2
Military 2
PM2
Shaman

I feel bad excluding the Leafjumper here but I haven’t actually had a chance to try one, and the Rockjumper is too task-specific. I also feel bad excluding the Stretch 2 XL, but I probably only need one 4” folder and the Millie 2 wins.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:27 pm
bdblue wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:19 pm
paging bolster...

Bolster was thinking the same (of a much smaller project, just tallying the most frequently occurring)... Hey, if anybody else wants to tally, don't let me stand in your way...go for it!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189