Are We Witnessing The Death Knell of K390 In Production Folders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skywalker

Re: Are We Witnessing The Death Knell of K390 In Production Folders?

Post by Skywalker »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:37 pm
I sometimes ridicule (in my mind, not out loud! I try to have some social manners...) people who buy knives based heavily on their ideas of aesthetics. BUT...I think you guys have a valid point, here. The curve of the Spyder wharnies are not terribly attractive, especially closed, where they look excessively tall. I think you're right...I think a reverse tanto might just sell, where the puffin-bird-beak wharnies are less likely to visually excite. Note how there are virtually no negative comments about the look of the Yojimbo's blade shape. Like it or not, the looks of a knife do affect its sales. This is the sort of thing a little consumer research would sort out in short order.
I'll be the contrarian here... I like the looks of the Delica/Endela/Endura wharncliffes better than the Yojimbo. I'm sure the Yo2 pierces better but strictly aesthetically speaking I prefer the SekiWharn.

Also, I prefer to visualize it as a toucan's beak, not a puffin's. 😂
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:50 pm
That's my favorite blade design right there, and yes it sits much lower, very pocket friendly. I have both a Large and Small CRK with the Insingo design. The only Spyderco I can think of off the top if my head with a comparable blade is the Paysan.

If we are talking about just the edge (not the spine of the blade or the tip) we might consider the Watu, whose blade is like the love child of a wharncliffe and a bowie clip.

You may think I'm too far afield, but I bring this up as a consideration for an alternate blade shape that would still allow the straight edge (or close to it), and might be popular.

At least, it eliminates the spine arc; admittedly, for a less robust (but piercing) tip.

Last edited by Bolster on Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:10 pm
Yes!! I think the look of the Wharncliffes may be a part of their downfall. Like it or not, outside of the brand fanatics, looks play a role.

Even as a brand fanatic, there's no way I want to carry one of the "insufficiently pretty" Spyderco's.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Shame on me Bolster...I had a Watu myself for a while! You are correct.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:41 pm
Shame on me Bolster...I had a Watu myself for a while! You are correct.

You're right about the Paysan being the most Insingo-like. Why did you unload the Watu?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am usually for a bit more robust (but still "piercy") tips.

This could be achieved though also on a wharnie by a drop of the (straight/er) spine right and just at the very tip, like on Endura/Delica.

(For the record: I personally though find the tall Spyderco wharnie blades do look quite ok)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's not looks to me, it's just that they could be little less rounded/tall, and take up a little less pocket space. I still like them as is, but I think they might have been more popular. Just my uneducated opinion though.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:03 am

This could be achieved though also on a wharnie by a drop of the (straight/er) spine right and just at the very tip, like on Endura/Delica.

(For the record: I personally though find the tall Spyderco wharnie blades do look quite ok)
Yes, visually speaking- where the spine meets the tip makes a huge difference.
If you run the spine all the way to the tip, you end up with a blade that looks like the Watu.
It’s quite a severe angle.
IMG_0436.jpeg

But raise it about 1/8” and you have a more robust (but still plenty “stabby”) tip. I find it more aesthetically pleasing as well, but that’s personal preference.
IMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0437.jpeg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Haunted House wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:42 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:03 am

Yes, visually speaking- where the spine meets the tip makes a huge difference.
If you run the spine all the way to the tip, you end up with a blade that looks like the Watu.
It’s quite a severe angle.

IMG_0436.jpeg

But raise it about 1/8” and you have a more robust (but still plenty “stabby”) tip. I find it more aesthetically pleasing as well, but that’s personal preference.

IMG_0437.jpeg
Hmm 🤔 personal mod project possibly? Might have to look for an Endura/Delica with an FRN handle. Also anyone know which hardened steel would be easiest to shape? Been modifying my mule Spy27 version 2 by hand sanding and it’s been a pain. So that’s why I ask. Thanks for the inspiration on a new project.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix LW - CPM 4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

I may have missed it in the 9 pages of discussion this generated...

But does anyone else feel like their main aversion to the K390 series is that they're only available in FRN and back locks?

I mean, the FRN I don't mind so much, but I haven't been interested in a back lock for years. I'm not even saying anything fancy like a CBBL. I'd settle for a liner or compression lock.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

kennbr34 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:28 am

But does anyone else feel like their main aversion to the K390 series is that they're only available in FRN and back locks?

I mean, the FRN I don't mind so much, but I haven't been interested in a back lock for years. I'm not even saying anything fancy like a CBBL. I'd settle for a liner or compression lock.
Check out the K390 Lil Temperance 3, or the BentoBoxShop exclusive K390 PM2 or Para3 if you want to try it in a comp lock. 👍
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

VandymanG wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:17 am
Hmm 🤔 personal mod project possibly? Might have to look for an Endura/Delica with an FRN handle. Also anyone know which hardened steel would be easiest to shape? Been modifying my mule Spy27 version 2 by hand sanding and it’s been a pain. So that’s why I ask. Thanks for the inspiration on a new project.
This is an interesting aspect of performance that virtually nobody even considers. Grindability matters but if you reference something like Larrin's profile of any given steel then what you'll find is a very short sentence or two which more or less glosses over this issue and almost gives the impression that this only matters to knife-makers who finish knives by hand sanding, etc.

The reality is far more unfortunate as this always affects resharpening as it will both take longer to grind away enough material to get an apex formed AND often requires special (reads : expensive and/or problematic) abrasives. If you wanted a steel that is the exact opposite of the common higher carbide powder metal steels then something like H1/H2 steel is almost ideal as you can grind it easily even on something like natural sandstone (quartz based abrasives).

If anything were ever guilty of being glossed over it's this casual 'Oh just stop being poor and/or lame and buy a diamond hone'. This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of addressing the 1000 lb. elephant in the room. Strangely, this is often worn as a badge of honor by those willing to work with such steels. As in, they are proud that they are capable of grinding the steel in production.... as a knifemaker who does this for a living. They also expect the user to do the same.

Me personally, I'd make blades with a steel anybody can grind with a $2 hardware store stone. This is what Victorinox does and they've obviously been wildly successful. Case in point, it seems from looking at the cross-section of Spyderco knife edges that they assume their target market doesn't really understand much about knife use and is expected to damage the edge and return it for repair fairly regularly. No fault there, this is likely what happens very commonly in actual reality.

With the types of steels that Spyderco uses by and large, if I didn't have a grinder I would send the knife in as well if I found some heavy chips, etc. I do, in fact, have a very solid grinder and have taken out heavy damage and even changed edge profiles from combo edge to plain edge, etc. That said, it is a great deal harder to accomplish even with the grinder and used up far more abrasive in the process as all the carbide volume simply wore the abrasive quickly and needing refreshing.

I've seen Larrin mention the Toughness/Wear Resistance ratio of steels and this is often enough referenced here. For folding knives of heavy cross section at the edge, this is almost irrelevant IMO as nobody seems to go around smacking folders into trees, etc. A ratio that affects everybody in a folding knife is the grindability/wear resistance ratio. Something has been said about Magnacut having high (relative to other higher carbide steel) grind-ability for it's given wear resistance.

This may be true, if so it would put that steel in a higher scoring rank compared to some steel with similar perceived wear resistance but much lower grindability. Who in their right mind would choose a steel that had the same expected wear resistance and was also much harder to grind? When you frame it like that it's an obvious, duh, I'll take the easier to grind steel. The problem with this, of course, is that 9/10 times wear resistance is almost directly inverse to grindability!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

kennbr34 wrote:

When I first started playing with Spydercos, I wasn't interested in the back lock. I had used them from other manufacturers, and none were any good. Eventually I tried a Spyderco back lock, and my opinion changed. They were truly one-handed operation without unnatural contortions, and they did what they were supposed to do. There is elegance in their simplicity.
kontei

Post by kontei »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:22 am
When I first started playing with Spydercos, I wasn't interested in the back lock. I had used them from other manufacturers, and none were any good. Eventually I tried a Spyderco back lock, and my opinion changed. They were truly one-handed operation without unnatural contortions, and they did what they were supposed to do. There is elegance in their simplicity.
Same for me. Backlocks are not my favourite locks, but Spyderco makes really great backlocks!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Speaking of good-looking wharnies, the S30V DLC PM2 wharnie is presently back in stock, but probably not for long as I believe they are just liquidating their reserve units.

https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c81g ... exclusive/
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

kennbr34 wrote:

Yeah, this is the reason that my own K390 knives are a ladybug and a dragonfly. I've thought of buying a police or a stretch in K390 but I just never felt like I'd actually use it over my nicer G10 knives.
mikey177 wrote: Speaking of good-looking wharnies, the S30V DLC PM2 wharnie is presently back in stock, but probably not for long as I believe they are just liquidating their reserve units.

https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c81g ... exclusive/
I wish they'd do more blades like this. I wonder how well they sell.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:23 pm
The Wharncliffe Paramilitary 2 is Spyderco’s best “in house” one, in my opinion.

(...)

I assume the knife at the bottom of this picture is the Wharncliffe Paramilitary 2 ?
Edit : This is a C209GS ClipiTool Rescue.

If yes, then I think its shape could indeed serve as a guide to "improve" (reduce the footprint) of the Wharncliffe Delica and Rockjumper shown on top.

In effect, trimming down the Wharncliffe Delica/Rockjumper's hunchbacks, would turn them into something closer to a Sheepsfoot Delica/Rockjumper.
Last edited by Araignee on Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Araignee wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:55 am
Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:23 pm
The Wharncliffe Paramilitary 2 is Spyderco’s best “in house” one, in my opinion.

(...)

I assume the knife at the bottom of this picture is the Wharncliffe Paramilitary 2 ?
No this is the Wharncliffe PM2
IMG_0449.jpeg
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:04 am
No this is the Wharncliffe PM2

IMG_0449.jpeg
On Cl1ff's picture, the knife looks very different :
- Different handle with different screws
- Some sort of liner or frame lock, not a compression lock
- Sheepsfoot blade, not toucan-style Wharncliffe like on the picture you posted

Hence I assume it's a Paramilitary and not a PM2.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Araignee wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:43 am
On Cl1ff's picture, the knife looks very different
I believe that’s a C209GS ClipiTool Rescue.