Favorite 3” in house spyderco folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What’s your favorite in-house locking folder in the 3” blade range?

Caly 3
4%
Calypso Jr.
1%
Native
24%
Delica
16%
Para 3
23%
Sage
11%
Lil temp
7%
Leaf jumper
8%
Mantra
5%
Domino
1%

Total votes: 92

JSumm

Re: Favorite 3” in house spyderco folder?

Post by JSumm »

I voted Caly 3 though the Sage is not too far behind for me. In this size though, it is tough to beat the UKPK. The finger choil is slightly deeper than the Caly and has a more defined guard. Plus a thinner blade stock which is nice for a 3" model.

Personal rant. If the Caly 3 is not coming back anytime soon, why in the world not make a locking UKPK in addition to the current model. The design is a classic Sal Glesser design. No more no less and fantastic ergos. Needs to stay in the lineup forever in my opinion. Generally speaking of the Caly Line and family (cousins).
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:01 pm
Personal rant. If the Caly 3 is not coming back anytime soon, why in the world not make a locking UKPK in addition to the current model. The design is a classic Sal Glesser design. No more no less and fantastic ergos. Needs to stay in the lineup forever in my opinion. Generally speaking of the Caly Line and family (cousins).

x2! Totally agree. I think I might even like a locking UKPK more than a Caly3, because I like the subtle choil/guard mods on the UKPK. The choil on modern UKPKs look more like a 1/3 on blade and 2/3 into handle, which is headed in the right direction if you ask me. It still has the deep carry clip mounted very close to the rounded butt so it disappears. Well done Sal. It's just--I need a locking version of it!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Wow. I thought the native would of cleaned up
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sage 5 I just recently purchased just nails it for me . I do have Delicas that I enjoy but the Sage fills my hand so well ergonomically. I normally carry two knives and three inch and under are usually in my right and large in my left . The Sage is one of the few knives I carry in left side . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:12 pm
Caly Jr in tight second place to Caly3. Maybe I should have given it first place.
The calypso jr. is a very tight second place for me too. I slightly prefer the ergos of the Caly 3 due to the larger tighter radius on the thumb ramp and deeper choil. I’m a sucker for the aesthetics and thinner geometry of the calypso jr blade though, that spine swedge is the cherry on top.
IMG_2916.jpeg
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't carry this size any more, but if I did I'd go with a lil temp, caly 3 or ukpk. ukpk actually has better ergos for me than the caly with the deeper choil, but lil temp is even better in my grip.

ukpk/caly 3/caly 3 cf/caly jr/para 1 was my main rotation once upon a time, believe it or not.
:unicorn
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

What a tough decision. Can I vote "all the above" plus some mentioned in the comments?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I voted for the Mantra but it could've easily been any of the first 6 choices.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tristan_david2001

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:08 pm
I don't carry this size any more, but if I did I'd go with a lil temp, caly 3 or ukpk. ukpk actually has better ergos for me than the caly with the deeper choil, but lil temp is even better in my grip.

ukpk/caly 3/caly 3 cf/caly jr/para 1 was my main rotation once upon a time, believe it or not.
That sounded like a great rotation. I agree the lil temp has a phenomenal grip, I’ve only owned the original 1 leaf, it’s a little unfair for me to compare the ergos of it to the ukpk because the lil temp is whole other beast and style of user, handfilling ergos are it’s game.
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I voted Delica …. Surprise!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Native for me, but I don't discriminate. It is my most used in this category, but any of these will do when a smaller knife is in rotation.

And I just realized the Para 3 is missing from this lineup...

Peter
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I voted Native but now I’m really wanting to handle a Caly of any size and the ukpk 🤔
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Surprised to see the Mantra on the list. It's been a while.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Para 3 is king! If not just because of this steel. Image
MRj “Weak things break!”
Tristan_david2001

anycal wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:45 pm
Native for me, but I don't discriminate. It is my most used in this category, but any of these will do when a smaller knife is in rotation.

And I just realized the Para 3 is missing from this lineup...

Awesome, love that photo! Do you own yourself a para 3?
Tristan_david2001

Mrj wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:00 pm
Para 3 is king! If not just because of this steel. Image
I love that patina yours has gathered. I’m really fond of the para 3 model myself, it actually was my first midsize spyderco I bought myself, so probably like my 3rd spyderco. While nowadays I much favor the leaf or a drop point for edc that nice stout clip shape on the para 3 still has a special place in my heart.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:53 pm
Bolster wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:12 pm
Caly Jr in tight second place to Caly3. Maybe I should have given it first place.
The calypso jr. is a very tight second place for me too. I slightly prefer the ergos of the Caly 3 due to the larger tighter radius on the thumb ramp and deeper choil. I’m a sucker for the aesthetics and thinner geometry of the calypso jr blade though, that spine swedge is the cherry on top.IMG_2916.jpeg

Agree. I like the smaller radius/deeper choil of the Caly3, the end-of-butt wire clip placement, and as you say, a more comfortable thumb ramp (it's a little abrupt on the Calypso Jr). Both have great blade shapes, though different. The Calypso Jr looks more aggressive, the Caly3, "friendlier." But the FRN on the Calypso Jr makes it melt into the pocket so that you don't even know it's there until you need it. And it has the awesome, never-bettered (IMO) fish scale pattern on the scales. The Jr. is a nearly ideal knife to take jogging/hiking/backpacking. Blade:weight and even edge:weight ratios are fantastic for the Calypso Jr., one of Spyderco's best. Caly3 has a very respectable blade:closed ratio (but is bested by the Caly 3.5, for sure, another one of Spyderco's most efficient ratios.)

Someday I want to calculate a "pocket hog" statistic...I know my beloved Manix will not fare well...but the Calys would.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Tristan_david2001

I just wanted to drop this knife in here instead of resetting the poll to add it as an option. This is personally my favorite Eric Glesser design in the category of knives in discussion. I love this design, I haven’t held one yet personally but I’d certainly love to. Maybe some day.
Attachments
IMG_2919.jpeg
cesma

Post by cesma »

The Bradley Air
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

There’s much in this list to like (I have multiples of the Delica4 and Natve5 and the first five Sages, and I think the Leaf Jumper is wonderful), but I’ll give my vote to the Lil’Temp. I happily have all its iterations, save for the early SE version, which I hope to find one day.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”