Spyderco x Lamnia exclusive - poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you interested in Lamnia exclusive aimed at EU customers (and not just them)?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:09 am

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 83

Wartstein

Re: Spyderco x Lamnia exclusive - poll

Post by Wartstein »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:14 am
I thought this video about the EDC of a bunch of knife people in Italy was fairly timely and relevant to a lot of the discussion in this thread regarding what sort of knives are actually carried by Europeans.

It is regularly discussed in "Forum knife" threads and still an unsolved question for me:

- Should a "Euro knife" be so that the largest amount of Europeans possible (and of course folks living under silly knife laws elsewhere) can actually carry it LEGALLY (so non looking and rather small)?

- ... or should it be a model most folks just enjoy the most and find the coolest, regardless if a LEGAL carry is possible...?

I can just say from my own experience:

- In Austria, where I live, I can carry legally whatever I want. And I do so openly and both proudly and humbly-gratefully - most times a locking, Endura sized Spydie for EDC.

- But I cross the border to Germany quite frequently (just a few miles north of where I live), and they have crazy laws (you can't carry a folder there that is both locking and can be opened one handed... so not even a DFly is allowed .. :woozy ).
Do I bother then with switching out the knife in my pocket?
Honestly: No.
Perhaps in very crowded places I'll not use the clip and hide the knife loosely deeper in the pocket, but that's all and I never, ever ran into any troubles.

I think if I was German and not Austrian, for a cool exklusive (or forum knife) I personally would still prefer a model I really like over one that is completely legal but otherwise not really for me.

If I could have both though: Perfect of course.
And yes, the UKPK looks like a pretty cool AND legal-in-many-places option.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

As a German I second Wartstein's thoughts.
Sure it would be awesome to have a legal EDC, even better if it were like a large slippie like the Kapara version.
But I would rather have something cool than something legal to carry. The only no go would be something illegal to own like Bali song/butterfly... o know, most places let you own them but sadly our laws are so stupid that we aren't even allowed to own that... funny enough some years ago the police published statistics that the number one knife type used for knife related attacks still is a large kitchen knife with a longer than 12cm blade length (which is the legal maximum for a legal to carry edc fixed knife, fixed knives carried for special purpose/occasion are exempt if you can prove the need).
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:04 am
Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:14 am
I thought this video about the EDC of a bunch of knife people in Italy was fairly timely and relevant to a lot of the discussion in this thread regarding what sort of knives are actually carried by Europeans.

It is regularly discussed in "Forum knife" threads and still an unsolved question for me:

- Should a "Euro knife" be so that the largest amount of Europeans possible (and of course folks living under silly knife laws elsewhere) can actually carry it LEGALLY (so non looking and rather small)?

- ... or should it be a model most folks just enjoy the most and find the coolest, regardless if a LEGAL carry is possible...?

I can just say from my own experience:

- In Austria, where I live, I can carry legally whatever I want. And I do so openly and both proudly and humbly-gratefully - most times a locking, Endura sized Spydie for EDC.

- But I cross the border to Germany quite frequently (just a few miles north of where I live), and they have crazy laws (you can't carry a folder there that is both locking and can be opened one handed... so not even a DFly is allowed .. :woozy ).
Do I bother then with switching out the knife in my pocket?
Honestly: No.
Perhaps in very crowded places I'll not use the clip and hide the knife loosely deeper in the pocket, but that's all and I never, ever ran into any troubles.

I think if I was German and not Austrian, for a cool exklusive (or forum knife) I personally would still prefer a model I really like over one that is completely legal but otherwise not really for me.

If I could have both though: Perfect of course.
And yes, the UKPK looks like a pretty cool AND legal-in-many-places option.
Wartstein i can not say it any better then you said it there!
In Belgium its the same thing we can buy almost everything except auto’s and balisongs if i remember correctly. But the Laws of carrying a knife are so blurry grey that even a tiny Swiss army knife can be confiscated as a “deadly weapon” by an officer even when you are following the laws to the letter…
So basically what happens? We carry and buy the knives we want and use them with our commonsense.
I carry my C95 or my Mini Manix everywhere except public places where you just know a knife is a big No No. like airports , government buildings , big public events like festivals ,…
And never have i ever got in trouble once! I think i passed a million cops on busy shopping streets by now and never did i get even looked at.
Why ? Because if you are a normal person not wanting to do something criminal in youre life and you are just walking around minding you’re own business then you will never look suspicious and so will never get in trouble! And on the sales of the Spyderco’s i have seen on European dealers i just know that the normal popular models will be way more appreciated as an European exclusive then another UKPK!

Because guess what buy a UKPK and do something stupid in public and it will be confiscated and you will be charged for carrying a deadly weapon even when you’re country’s laws say its a perfectly legal knife!

So i hope Lamnia lookes at there Sale numbers instead of thinking about our idiotic country’s laws because selling a Manix , Pm2 , Native , will be a way bigger succes then a UKPK ever can result in.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Thanks for the insight into what you carry and how you approach carrying it!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
kuxxxan

Post by kuxxxan »

I also live in Germany and knife laws are ridiculous as you are not allowed to carry ANY locking knife which can be opened with one hand. So NO even to ladybugs and manbugs, dragonflies and the rest of the lineup except UKPK/slipjoint options. At the same time you can carry any fixed knife with a valid use purpose. Personally me do not follow those stupid rules as I carry either ikuchi/native5 and I always have ladybug on a keychain as well. I like the idea of having Lamnia or any other EU dealer exclusive, but I'd personally vote for smth cool, not smth legal (except probably rerunning Pingo ideally made in US/Taiwan and same with pits folder but with a lower price). I would be really excited to see spyderco classic mid size Italian style stiletto with a backlock/compression lock
__
Magnacut & K390 for win
utor

Post by utor »

Another Berliner, I`d say as a first try of an EU exclusive it could make sense to offer a completly legal EDC option. My main carry is the HH UKPK, its also quite popular with some of my friends. As there is no dressed-up UKPK option in the regular lineup, I think, the penknive with some nice handle material could be a great start.

Anyway, if I have "good reason" I also regulary carry a classic Caly 3, a G-10 dragonfly, Spydiechef or what ever pleases me on the day. So also a EU M2 variant with some nice european steel would be quite interesting to me...

:smiling-halo
NicoColt1911

Post by NicoColt1911 »

I am open to several possibilities. I have the least desire for a slipjoint. If it does become one, then I would like a variant of the HH UKPK, i.e. with a continuous back spring or a completely new slipjoint. I could imagine a fixed. e.g. a special version of a Fred Perrin designed knife.
But since some people here have already asked for a new knife that doesn't exist yet: My favorite would be a two hand opening locking knife.
cesma

Post by cesma »

I'm all in....a cpm-m4 smock please.
Italy here.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Thank you all for really interesting discussion and opinions. Some models mentioned would be harder to sell some would be easier but it is as well very good to see that there is big support for locking knives from people in European market, regardless location. I am personally from country, where you can carry sword and people would not care, therefore good and we will see how this will play out :).

I will return to Lamnia and share this thread with them :)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm definitely with Wartstein and apollo. By the way Dimi, your laws are really close to mines, We just have the right to buy literally any knife ! even Katanas if we want to be a mall ninja.

I'd love for it to be a loved Taïchung model. For example, a Magnacut Gayle Bradley 2 would be just magnificient.
(Or the original, if this is even possible)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
apollo

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:54 am
I'm definitely with Wartstein and apollo. By the way Dimi, your laws are really close to mines, We just have the right to buy literally any knife ! even Katanas if we want to be a mall ninja.

I'd love for it to be a loved Taïchung model. For example, a Magnacut Gayle Bradley 2 would be just magnificient.
(Or the original, if this is even possible)
Hi Robin. I know and that is because our laws are heavily influenced by the French speaking part of our goverment. And for that i am very thank full because if Belgium ever would fall apart i am not so sure if my dutch speaking side will still be so tollerent. Since this side of the country is much more of a police state then the french part. In the Ardennes you can drive forever before you see a cop or even a camera from the state. Here i am sure the goverment is watching me like a hawk on every bigger street. And curtainly in every street of every city. ( Thank god i live in a small town :winking-tongue )

But like i say even then they have better things to do when you behave youreself and you do not act like you are billy the kid or some terrorist... :zany
So i hope for any kind of exclusive that is locking. As a start maybe somekind of native 5 would be nice! ( i know you would love that 2 :winking-tongue )
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

apollo wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:19 pm
So i hope for any kind of exclusive that is locking. As a start maybe somekind of native 5 would be nice! ( i know you would love that 2 :winking-tongue )
Did you notice my efforts to not recommand the Native 5 ? :grin-big eyes :grin-big eyes Took a lot of self control to not spam N5N5N5N5N55N5 immediately after seeing the thread's name !

Now that I thought about a GB2 exclusive (and secretly dream it's a Slysz Bowie), I would really like to see it one day ! But any N5 exclusive would be an IMMEDIATE buy for me, for sure !

I wonder if they are still able and willing to do a Hollow Grind version like the CPM154/S90V version that I seek so strongly.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
apollo

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:23 pm
apollo wrote:
Did you notice my efforts to not recommand the Native 5 ? :grin-big eyes :grin-big eyes Took a lot of self control to not spam N5N5N5N5N55N5 immediately after seeing the thread's name !

Now that I thought about a GB2 exclusive (and secretly dream it's a Slysz Bowie), I would really like to see it one day ! But any N5 exclusive would be an IMMEDIATE buy for me, for sure !

I wonder if they are still able and willing to do a Hollow Grind version like the CPM154/S90V version that I seek so strongly.
I indeed noticed. That is why i could not resist to propose it. :squinting-tongue
Now a slysz bowie would for me also be a dream come true because i still miss mine that i sold to get my Nirvana. :squinting-tongue
The GB2 would definitely also be welcome. But to come back to the Native 5 i would also love to see the old style blade with hollow grind again. Did not even remember they brought it back at one time. :beaming-face
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

As far as slipjoints go, the Lil' Native Slipjoint would be a good choice IMO. It's not another UKPK or Urban and has some interesting features like humpless design and no half stop that make it unique. As of now, it's only available in black and with a somewhat ill fitting hourglass clip (otherwise I'd have one already). The Lil Native Slipit in a cool color and cool steel definitely has potential as a Euro friendly pocket knife:

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:23 pm
apollo wrote:

Now that I thought about a GB2 exclusive .....

I think a rather affordable, "mainstream" model would be a good choice for a first Euro exclusive, so a nice Native 5 would be a great in my book! :smlling-eyes

As some might know practically speaking I clearly prefer the Delica/Salt or the Chap over the Native in (roughly) that size range, but still love the Native 5. It just looks so cool and whenever I see one I immediately want to grab and use it, despite IN use the Delica just works better for me and my hand ergo - and performance - wise.

Bottomline: I´d definitely try to get a "Lamnia Native"!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Flash

Post by Flash »

The Heinnie Haynes exclusive UKPK elevated itself way above the standard FRN model in terms of quality in my opinion. The feel of G10 and the full length back spring add some weight, tactility and solidity that’s sorely missing from the FRN version. In fact It’s become the one knife that I reach for more often than not nowadays.
Made me wonder why Spyderco doesn’t make this version a regular production model…

The more versions of the G10 / full length back spring UKPK that are available to me, the better. I’d likely buy two if Lamina if they were to go down this route.
I’d personally love to see a CPM Cruwear drop point… gladly settle for a leaf though.

If I dare venture into the realms of fantasy, then a 3” slip joint version of Gayle Bradley Air would be the dog’s. As would a Slippie Native 5 - that would lend itself well to being kind of a hard use Slippie that would be uncontroversially legal in most EU countries.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Spyderco Street Beat in grey frn and cruwear. Once they did it in micarta, but that would be probably expensive.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Imo this thread and idea needs a bump from time to time...
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Bump
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bumping again for us Euros... ;)

And not without any reason: Now that the new Reveal is out, there are some (more) interesting options for the first Euro dealer exclusive...

- How about a Chief Salt in the finnish colors blue and white (maybe two toned scales)?

- Or the same for the Stretch XL Salt?

- Or go all in and bring out the first Bodacious Exclusive?

- Or, my personal favorite: A Chaparral SE "Euro Edition"... :smirk