Extra Large Backlock Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: Extra Large Backlock Salt

Post by Bemo »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:50 am
I would really like to see a 4” salt knife. A Manix Xl lockback in Magnacut or a police would be great. A new model would be appreciated as well.

I also think that Spyderco is missing a midsized salt knife but the coming Manix salt lightweight might fill that gap. I definitely want one.
I'm a little confused by this statement. I understand everyone has a different definition of midsized, but I thought most folks consider the PacSalt midsized. Personally due to my smaller hands the Endela (which would also make a great Salt) is my definition of mid-sized but I think I'm in the minority. So what would you define as mid-sized?
Dealer100

Post by Dealer100 »

Saver salt H1 SE is my all time favorite knife. Make one in Magnacut with the acid green FRN, I'll buy a lifetime supply. Hollow grind. The Saver is extra thicc, not a FFG platform.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Sounds like a job for the Native Chief Lightweight.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:38 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
I would really like to see a 4” salt knife. A Manix Xl lockback in Magnacut or a police would be great. A new model would be appreciated as well.

I also think that Spyderco is missing a midsized salt knife but the coming Manix salt lightweight might fill that gap. I definitely want one.
I'm a little confused by this statement. I understand everyone has a different definition of midsized, but I thought most folks consider the PacSalt midsized. Personally due to my smaller hands the Endela (which would also make a great Salt) is my definition of mid-sized but I think I'm in the minority. So what would you define as mid-sized?
Don't want to speak for him, but there is definitely a hole in what most would consider mid-sized Salt. We have the Delica-Endela-Endura then the Salt 2-_____-Pac Salt. No Mid-Sized Salt. The Teased PM2 Salt and teased Manix 2 Salt would probably qualify as Mid-Sized Salts.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Manix XL Salt salt back lock would be cool too but a Salt Millie/Millie2 or Salt Caribbean XL would open my wallet pretty fast
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

I suppose that the upcoming Sequoia/Cliff Jumper once they are "Saltified" will be that FRN backlock Caribbean that we're hoping for.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:23 pm
You are correct ladybug.

sal
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

How about something shaped more like the rock salt in a folder, slightly larger tha. The police?
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

WyoJon wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:42 pm
How about something shaped more like the rock salt in a folder, slightly larger tha. The police?
This is what I came to ask for.

A Police Salt would be great.
nonstainless

Post by nonstainless »

I'm in for a Stretch XL too! Or two.
And hope for Millie MC G10 even though it's not a backlock :winking-tongue
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. L11:35
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

We have S, M and L backlock Salts. We should absolutely have XL too.
Assuming, of course, Spyderco believes they would sell.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Some are asking for a bigger Native Chief. That would be cool.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That would be a really big folder. Again, would it sell enough? Spyderco has to predict that, via educated guess.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

I'm in. My dream salt would prob be a Saber ground SE police salt, although a stretch xl salt is a no brainer.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

T-1000 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:12 pm
I'm in. My dream salt would prob be a Saber ground SE police salt, although a stretch xl salt is a no brainer.
The Police model in my opinion, would be an excellent platform to capitalize on a larger frame Salt Series. It is essentially a bigger Stretch XL. Back Locks are ideal for the hard use ergonomics of a marine grade tool. Very ambidextrous and easy to manipulate the lock with or without gloves for a wide array of users. Would be abundantly pleased with either a police or chief example in full salt dressings.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

As I've already alluded to, I do welcome the arrival of a S2XL salt, and would buy one double quick.
Not so much for the size, but more so the ergos, blade shape etc. that I find a better fit for me than the pac salt.

But there's an elephant in the room. The S2XL is not really XL compared to what we already have, and neither is the Chief.
Comparing my Pac salt to my S2XL, the latter has about 1-2mm more cutting edge.
Compared to my chief, the latter offers about 3mm more cutting edge.
It's not nothing, but maybe not enough to break the barrier from L to XL.

Another thing to note. My Pac salt handle could in theory accommodate a blade that was a couple mm longer and truly rival the S2XL (G-10 in my case) on sharpened edge length, which already has as much blade as it could possibly hold.

We'll probably see a S2XL salt before long, and it's realistically as large a salt as I'll ever need, but a police sized salt... I would probably be unable to resist. I've had this irrational fascination with large folders lately. I don't need them, neither for my knife tasks or ergonomically for my under average sized hands, but I keep adding more. I've been able to fight off any ideas of getting a Police so far, but if a Police salt comes to fruition I'm afraid any attempt to think rationally about it will fall flat.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Police salt? Definitely need a police salt!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

Dodge wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:09 pm
Police salt? Definitely need a police salt!
I personally would opt for a Resilience but with a back lock and completely "Saltified". Don't care for a forward finger choil. Want maximum cutting edge with nothing to catch on fiberous materials in a full cutting motion.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:38 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:

This is a very valid question… in my opinion the pacific salt could be considered a midsized knife or a large knife. Size is relative. To me though a 3.75” blade is kinda the cut off between large and medium but again it’s all relative.

Specifically I’d like to see an Endela salt and waiting on that Manix w/ Magnacut.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I"m still hoping for a Caribbean lightweight backlock. An XL would be great too!