First Mule knife

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Foner3

First Mule knife

Post by Foner3 »

Well I bought my first spyderco Knife and it was a mule. I was impressed. I decide to try make handles for it shaping pins for it. It was going to till everything went out control. Sad to say my mule is snapped in half and I got 10 stitches.I do say Spyderco makes a quality knife a sharp one at that. Good quality. Not to expensive either. Cheap enough for me to be able afford one. Iam definitely going buy another Spyderco mule or some other Spyderco when I save up
TazKristi

Re: First Mule knife

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Foner3:
Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry to hear about your issue and injury. I hope you heal up quickly.

Can you please tell us which Mule and how did it snap in half?

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Foner3

Post by Foner3 »

It was the rex t15 model the part snap in half was the front half where it piece wood really hard.I figured it being such hard steel. That it just snapped hitting the piece of wood.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Sorry about your troubles Foner3. Welcome to the forum and hope you heal soon!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for posting. Did you cover the edge with tape or something to make it more safe to work with?
Last edited by Fireman on Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Chicks dig scars :winking-tongue

We always tape mules whilst working on them.

But a high hardness steel is not going to be that tough for chopping wood. Keeps an edge longer but suffers in being brittle. The better the edge retention the lower the toughness.
Steel is a balancing act of edge retention, toughness and corrosion resistance.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Foner3

Post by Foner3 »

I didn't think of taping until after everything went haywire. All I reamber was getting hit with it cut me open badly in the process the blad hit the handle material really hard and snapping in half. Lesson learn tape blade, Spyderco did really good on the sharpness though.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I often kill the edge on a sharpening stone then either use tape or paper around the whole blade. One time when I used tape it created a striped patina all over the blade so now I tend to use printing paper, surround the whole blade with it and then cover it of electrical tape.

I'm sorry about that misadventure, hope the injury wasn't too bad, even if that's quite the number of stitches !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Foner3 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:20 pm
It was going to till everything went out control. Sad to say my mule is snapped in half and I got 10 stitches.

Darn, that is literally adding insult to injury. "Supersteel" doesn't mean you can do "super" things like hacking through Black Lightning's suit, or chopping into bank vault doors. What it means is that you can do normal stuff and the edge will last longer. At least that's my experience and interpretation.

Heal up and get yourself another blade to work with.
Rob
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:57 am
I often kill the edge on a sharpening stone then either use tape or paper around the whole blade. One time when I used tape it created a striped patina all over the blade so now I tend to use printing paper, surround the whole blade with it and then cover it of electrical tape.

I'm sorry about that misadventure, hope the injury wasn't too bad, even if that's quite the number of stitches !
Try using this type of tape

Looks like it’s sold in France by the label. Never had it mark a blade and it is fabric lined and rips off the roll nice and easy
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:08 pm

Looks like it’s sold in France by the label. Never had it mark a blade and it is fabric lined and rips off the roll nice and easy
Too bad the pictures do not display :winking-tongue Do you happen to have the name of such tape ? I tries several different types with similar results, hence the paper :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:01 am
standy99 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:08 pm

Too bad the pictures do not display :winking-tongue Do you happen to have the name of such tape ? I tries several different types with similar results, hence the paper :open-grin

Looks like catbox.moe is down
Try this
https://www.duckbrand.com/products/duck ... in-x-15-yd