Forum Knife???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rinzler

Re: Forum Knife???

Post by Rinzler »

“…Drop Point with a high performance high hollow grind”

Agreed. That’s what I’d like to see in the ukpk.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:24 pm
Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:39 pm
There's nothing that says you have to be a forum member, to buy a forum knife, is there? Certainly sales are not limited to ONLY forum members?
I am all for everyone getting a shot at one. I was around during the 2013 Forum knife era and that discussion got really ugly as far as members deciding who “deserved” one and whatnot. Pretty much the only time I ever read anything even close to negativity on this forum.

So, do we have a definitive answer --- can anybody buy a forum knife or do you have to prove forum membership first? (Obviously anybody can buy once they hit eBay! But I mean, buy from Spyderco.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Anyone can buy them - Forum membership is not required.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:34 pm
Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:24 pm
Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:39 pm
There's nothing that says you have to be a forum member, to buy a forum knife, is there? Certainly sales are not limited to ONLY forum members?
I am all for everyone getting a shot at one. I was around during the 2013 Forum knife era and that discussion got really ugly as far as members deciding who “deserved” one and whatnot. Pretty much the only time I ever read anything even close to negativity on this forum.

So, do we have a definitive answer --- can anybody buy a forum knife or do you have to prove forum membership first? (Obviously anybody can buy once they hit eBay! But I mean, buy from Spyderco.)
Previous Forum knives did have a discount available to Forum members , Natives were 40% off . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

For a new 2024 Spyderco Forum Knife I’d prefer something from Golden with SPY27, G-10, a locking mechanism and selling for $175-$200.

The last Spyderco Forum Knife was in 2018 (4+ years ago): ParaMilitary2 CPM-S90V Gray G-10 with Bug Logo Inlay Forum Knife 2018 (USA) - OCT 2018. It was sold directly by Spyderco. MSRP was $269.95 but we were given a discount code for 40% off so it became $161.97 shipped.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

So, euh, any news 'bout dat knife, 'bout dat knife ? 🤔
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It kind of felt like Spyderco gave us the forum knife in a more stealthy approach when the Spy27 UKPK LW was revealed. It's not exactly what we voted, but maybe too close to merit a slightly modified version for the forum.

It could of course be the other way around, that the LW release makes the forum knife more attainable since it's just a minor tweak to an existing model at this point, but I'd still expect the forum version to come first if it was ever seriously on the agenda. For anyone that has already bought the Spy27 LW, a similar version with G10 scales (and best case scenario a drop point blade) would be even harder to justify than before, i.e. less demand than at the time of the poll and subsequently even less chance enough people will commit.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

:index-finger Agreed, I do not see this happening. There are so many standard models and new designs that should probably take precedent. I will say, I wish the SPY27 with the Cobalt Blue would just be standard in G10 and not a LW. With the upcoming Magnacut Salt UKPK LW and the existing BD1N LW, I don't really see any other LWs taking off. A G10 standard version may though.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

I vote for a UKPK in either SPY27 or Magnacut with G10 scales in an exciting colour.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Finally got my UKPK in Spy27. I agree the same knife in G10 in that same blue would be awesome.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

I cast my current vote as a Magnacut DLC fully blacked out Military 2 with a Wharncliffe blade. And a nice Spider emblem in the handle like they did long ago with another Military Forum knife, not the PM2.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

BeggarSo wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:20 pm
8< ——
… like they did long ago
Long ago, forums were thriving. When the numbers adds up, it allows you to do special things. I think we’re well under that cutoff at this point.

We’re still allowed to dream though :smlling-eyes
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:54 am
Long ago, forums were thriving. When the numbers adds up, it allows you to do special things. I think we’re well under that cutoff at this point.
Now, most of the traffic goes through Reddit. If OP wants more inputs, he may post on Reddit knife subforums (including the non-official Spyderco one) :thinking
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Araignee wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:38 am
aicolainen wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:54 am
Now, most of the traffic goes through Reddit. If OP wants more inputs, he may post on Reddit knife subforums (including the non-official Spyderco one) :thinking
IDK, the forums I participate on are thriving more than ever, including this one. Maybe I'm just getting old but I've tried to do Reddit several times and just can't put up with it. I don't know if it's the format or some of the BS I've seen. Regardless, it's not for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I still am in for a UKPK so all members from everywhere can have an opportunity to participate getting one . Just where I stand on the subject not trying to disrespect anyone . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

The new SPY27 UKPK is the natural choice and it's already in production. Add laser engraving similar to the KBPI Para3 and voila!
- Richard
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

riclaw wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:59 pm
The new SPY27 UKPK is the natural choice and it's already in production. Add laser engraving similar to the KBPI Para3 and voila!
...but with G10 scales in a new colour.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I'm probably not inclined to buy a Spy27 UKPK - unless it's a forum knife, and then I'm in. I've learned so much from the community here that I would happily shell out for some special engraving on the existing knife.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I wish they would put the engraving on the spine like other forum knives they have done in the past. Looks so much better IMO.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am not wishing for miracles. Spyderco could do as little as laser etch some cool graphics on the blade of the Spy27 UKPK. Done. Low hanging fruits.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...