First mule team knife

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Best first mule

Poll ended at Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:26 pm

CPM REX T15
31%
AEB-L
38%
CPM SPY27
31%

Total votes: 16

Osok-308

First mule team knife

Post by Osok-308 »

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the forum and new to different knife steels. So far, I've got experience with some lower quality steels and some experience (little) with higher quality (CPM D2, H1, VG-10). I'm looking at buying my first mule team knife, but with all the available choices, I have paralysis by analysis. So now, I'm looking at knives made in CPM REX T15, AEB-L, and the CPM SPY27 (not sure I'm ready to spend the money on the K294). I like camping and hunting and would mostly test it in those conditions (probably cutting a lot of bailing twine and opening packages). I also live in Colorado, so not too humid out here. What's the best steel for an aspiring knife steel nerd?
Bolster

Re: First mule team knife

Post by Bolster »

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of knife steels!! (a little late...)

The three you're considering all have very different steel profiles. At the risk of oversimplifying, the SPY27 represents the most balanced steel; the T15 represents the high edge-retention steel, and the AEB-L represents the toughest steel of the three, by far. The T15 will be a challenge to sharpen then stay sharp a long time. It's not the steel to use where you may accidentally encounter a nail or a staple, or in moist conditions since it'll rust. The AEB-L will respond well to frequent touch-ups and get really sharp, is stainless, but won't keep its edge for as long as other choices. On the other hand, of the three, it will sustain the least damage due to abuse. The SPY27 has good edge retention and toughness that's similar but a little better than the T15. But it is stainless (like the AEB-L).

A recent survey indicated that most people value a balanced steel. Then there is a smaller group that goes for edge retention at all costs (these folks often invest heavily in diamond encrusted sharpening gear), and an even smaller group that values toughness above all else.

If I were to take one backpacking, it would be the SPY27 for its balance and corrosion resistance, or the AEB-L along with some fine sandpaper for touchups (wrap 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper around a hiking pole, tilt it to 15 degrees, and use it like a Sharpmaker).
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Get the RexT15 and the AEB-L and use them both and compare :fist-bump

That’s what mules are all about….
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:06 am
Get the RexT15 and the AEB-L and use them both and compare :fist-bump

That’s what mules are all about….
Osok-308 wrote:Osok-308
I'd say the same thing ! But if you do not have the budget for two Mules, maybe see what steels you have available in your collection?

Even if the geometry is different, which renders the comparison way less useful, it might give you an idea of the steel based on the ones you already know.
I for example have quite the number of high edge retention steels. If I wanted to test a new steel and compare it with what I own, I'd certainly go for T15 since it holds an edge for a long time.
Or maybe try something different, and go for a high toughness stainless and pick AEB-L :winking-tongue

You can't have any wrong answer. If you plan of buying more Mules in the future, I'd go for the one that will become unavailable the fastest. The SPY27 is standard production so for now on it should stay available very often for a long period of time. I took a screenshot of their actual stock right now :

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I voted SPY27, but that or AEB-L would be my suggestion. Both are excellent stainless steels that will hold up well and sharpen relatively easily. I think T15 is very cool stuff but it's a bit more for people who have gone down the rabbit hole, while both SPY27 and AEB-L are great steels for any knife user. T15 is also not stainless, if that matters to you.

K294 is a very excellent steel, and my personal favorite of the currently available Mules. It is a very high wear resistance steel and not stainless so again won't be as simple to maintain as SPY27 or AEB-L.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I prefer the blade profile of the SPY 27 Mule to the other Mules, because of its more acute tip. (I think that puts me in the minority on this forum.) If I were undecided on the steel, I would pick SPY 27 for that reason alone.

Happily it's also a nice steel, and I might pick it for that reason, too. That said, I really like a tough, easy-to-sharpen stainless steel for the outdoors, and AEB-L certainly matches that description.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I think they all are great in their own way. I voted T15 bcuz i think it's different from what you have experience with. And variety is the spice of life.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I voted AEB-L simply because I've been using the snot out of mine recently and it's super easy to bring hair popping edges back to life. That being said, if I didn't have a K294/10V class of steel in my collection, I'd be quite disappointed. Such a great steel to have in a fixed blade!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

So, I may not have followed the poll (decided by one vote), but I definitely listened to your suggestions and the suggestion of the very helpful employee at the Spyderco factory outlet! My first mule is in T15! I got the one that felt most likely to not be available first! I definitely plan on buying more after using this one for a few days. Currently waiting on my grips to arrive.
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

20230909_120554.jpg
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Congratulations! Which grips did you go with?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:06 pm
Congratulations! Which grips did you go with?
I went with a pair of matte OD green from this seller on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1309970742 ... ch_click=1

Not sure if anyone has experience with them, but I liked the look of them. We'll see how they perform!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Osok-308 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:26 pm
I'm looking at knives made in CPM REX T15, AEB-L, and the CPM SPY27 (not sure I'm ready to spend the money on the K294). What's the best steel for an aspiring knife steel nerd?

A REAL knife steel nerd would have to have them all. But I understand your "aspiration." Of those that you mentioned, if you want stainless, then go with the SPY27. Of the others you mentioned, I'd go with the T15--I have one here in the box but haven't decided what to do with it yet. The K294 would be my second choice.

The difference in price is twenty bucks, but really that's a small amount if you consider the labor involved in building your own knife. In the past, I've built knives and tools out of junk steel. They might look good, but they're not a joy to use because of the junk steel. They were a poor investment of labor and materials. If you really like the K294, get it. The extra few dollars are a small amount when compared to the years of service you'll get out the knife that you really want.