Fly fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
WyoJon

Fly fishing

Post by WyoJon »

Anyone else here like to fly fish? I find it to be the easiest way to catch fish.
Mushroom

Re: Fly fishing

Post by Mushroom »

If you want, feel free to add to the discussion in the general fishing thread. Anything and everything to do with fishing is welcomed! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92101

I still haven’t gotten into fly fishing but it’s on the list. I purchased a cheap kit a couple years ago but after receiving it, I could tell it wasn't even worth opening. I decided to return it and wait until I’m ready to invest in something worthwhile.
- Nick :bug-red
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

I do quite a lot of fly fishing myself. I also tie all my own flies which is very rewarding and fun.
-Jimmy
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

I fly fish just about every single day during the week on my lunch breaks. WFH and I got ponds close by. It's a perishable skill so I like to stay sharp for when I'm chasing trout.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

WyoJon wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:43 pm
Anyone else here like to fly fish? I find it to be the easiest way to catch fish.
i do once in a while. I'm not sure if its the easiest way to catch fish though. This may vary based on species.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:01 pm
If you want, feel free to add to the discussion in the general fishing thread. Anything and everything to do with fishing is welcomed! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92101

I still haven’t gotten into fly fishing but it’s on the list. I purchased a cheap kit a couple years ago but after receiving it, I could tell it wasn't even worth opening. I decided to return it and wait until I’m ready to invest in something worthwhile.
You really dont have to spend a fortune on fly fishing gear. St croix sells some very fishable rods for around $200. I see loads of high end rods from 20 years ago selling cheap on ebay. Pick up a used reel, or spend $100 on one that works. Unlike the world of baitcasting, the reel is not part of the cast and does not need to be especially nice. Casting line is not terribly expensive, and I found a good source for hand tied leaders on ebay. All in all id say it is easy to spend less fly fishing, than loosing $5 spinners with a spinning rod.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

huyfishin wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:55 am
WyoJon wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:43 pm
i do once in a while. I'm not sure if its the easiest way to catch fish though. This may vary based on species.
Ill often go out and see guys casting lures not get any hits. Ill drift a size 20 dry fly and pull in a monster brown.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Huge fan of fly fishing. Knives, cycling, and fly fishing are in fact my primary hobbies.

Last month I spent a few days in Wyoming doing some fly fishing. Can't wait to get back.

Locally I mostly fish for bass, panfish, and even catfish.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I used to be really into fly fishing some time back but I've had other obligations keep me from it in the past few years. I had an older D.A.M. Quick reel ( German made) fly reel along with a Martin fly rod. It was a modest but nice set up that I really enjoyed playing with.

We have 3 really nice trout parks here in Missouri. The one trout park that I used to frequent the most was the Roaring River state park near Cassville, MO USA. As narrow as Roaring River is I ended up mostly using some of my ultra-light equipment instead of the fly fishing gear for trout fishing at that location. I have some good ultra-light gear consisting of a D.A.M. Quick model 1202 reel along with an older Boron rod that I like to use for trout fishing.

I would very much like to get into fly fishing again. I sold my old fly fishing equipment a while back so I would have to start all over again with newer equipment. I did really like my old D.A.M. Quick fly reel and the Martin fly rod both seemed quite adequate to me. Are there any of the current fly fishing magazines any good that might help me get up to speed with all the new stuff? What newer equipment would you possibly recommend?