Good sharpener for Magnacut

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ninjaboy

Good sharpener for Magnacut

Post by Ninjaboy »

Hi All,
I have lost my lansky sharpening kit and wanted to see if there is a better option before ordering another. I'm not a highly skilled sharpener, but always got razor sharp edges with the Lansky. It's a bit time consuming but worked great. Got new knives know. They are heretic cleric 2 otf's with dual edge magnacut dagger blades. Any recomendations? I like angle control since I am not skilled enough to maintain it. Knives came sharp, but not as sharp as I like.
Thanks in advance,
Tim
Michael Janich

Re: Good sharpener for Magnacut

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Ninjaboy:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Mke blades has the sharpmaker on sale for 50 bucks right now. Says they have 3 in stock.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Worksharp makes a reasonably priced guided system that many people like. A step up would be the KME system but it starts getting expensive. There are a few different variations of each so check them out.

Worksharp Basic Kit $60
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Preci ... 241&sr=8-7

Worksharp Complete Kit $120
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Preci ... e904010ad0

KME Basic No stand Kit $185
https://www.amazon.com/KME-RPSH-Combo-K ... 41&sr=8-11

KME Diamond $225
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Knife- ... e904010ad0
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Sharpmaker only has two angle options, but it’s pretty fool-proof. My next vote would be worksharp.
Last edited by kennethsime on Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Worksharp for reprofiling/setting edge, Sharpmaker for microbeveling, touchups and serrations.

Edited to say it's the Worksharp Precision Adjust I was referring to.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

You might want to look at the TSPROF Blitz 360 and a digital angle cube for accuracy.

I own the KME and do believe due to your familiarity with Lansky you would like this very much indeed.

If all you want to accomplish is keep them sharp then purchase a Spyderco Gauntlet with both CBN & Ceramic rods. Once I got this I never had a need for the sharpmaker again. Just remember a sharpie is your friend, with a sharpie you can get more out of these rods than you might believe.

The Spyderco Galley V can use the same rods and is excellent for kitchen knives and lower profiles.

I own the workshop precision adjust and while it is cheap and somewhat popular here I can not recommend it in light of TSPROF
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Strauss95

Post by Strauss95 »

No doubt the TSPROF is a much better system compared to the Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite, but it should be since its nearly 4 times the cost. TSPROF, Hapstone, KME, and Edge Pro all make excellent systems.

With that being said, I think the standard kit Work Sharp Precision Adjust at $60 may be the best value knife sharpener kit on the market today. In the end it all comes down to your budget and how much you are willing to spend.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Considering the fact that Magnacut goes hard on the Vanadium carbides in order to achieve it's properties, I think one thing that should be considered when choosing a sharpening system is that steels vanadium carbides tend to have better edge longevity/wear resistance when sharpened with diamonds or similarly hard abrasives as opposed to ceramics.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BeggarSo wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:45 pm
You might want to look at the TSPROF Blitz 360 and a digital angle cube for accuracy.

I own the KME and do believe due to your familiarity with Lansky you would like this very much indeed.

If all you want to accomplish is keep them sharp then purchase a Spyderco Gauntlet with both CBN & Ceramic rods. Once I got this I never had a need for the sharpmaker again. Just remember a sharpie is your friend, with a sharpie you can get more out of these rods than you might believe.

The Spyderco Galley V can use the same rods and is excellent for kitchen knives and lower profiles.

I own the workshop precision adjust and while it is cheap and somewhat popular here I can not recommend it in light of TSPROF
I saw a recent article in one of my knife publications that I get monthly about this "TSPROF" sharpening system. It immediately caught my attention and appeared to be a nice looking and well built tool. It would be nice to know how it would stack up against the more well known units like the Edge Pro and Wicked Edge sharpening systems.

But I was impressed with that system for sure. I would love to see one demonstrated at one of the shows or just a good video of one in use.

As far as the Gauntlet recommendation I would much prefer the 204 Sharpmaker over it>> providing that a person gets all the extra stones you can buy for it.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

@JD Spydo

I have owned the 3rd Generation of the Wicked Edge and in all honesty when I started using the TSPROF 360 Blitz I sold the Wicked Edge Pro on eBay and have not missed it.

To be clear I purchased the TSPROF Blitz360 and the TSPROF Kadet which is the larger of the two. I prefer the Blitz 360. The Kadet was for larger thicker knives, mostly thicker.

This tool allows for far more stones / plates to be used with it. The key is every time you flip the head to do the other side and do so with the digital cube because no matter how well you clamp it there are differences.

The tool is extremely well built and is extremely precise. Out of all the fixed angle sharpening systems this is the best by far being the most accurate and able to get into the lowest angles and is super easy to adjust. For example I have taken a CTS-204P Spyderco Military down to a legitimate 10 degrees. It is a slicing demon.

The Wicked edge is not capable of doing this I don't care which adapter you purchase and the abrasives they us are not even close to being on par with other companies abrasives plus the Ricasso on most Spyderco knives becomes a problem due to the plastic paddles hitting it making it difficult and impossible on many models to really get in there good.

FYI I don't care what system you buy for fixed angle sharpening using a card gimmick etc.. you must never rely on the same setting twice you must clamp and use a sharpie and a digital angle cube to get accurate results despite what advertisements claim.

Another thing to be aware of fixed angle sharpening systems need to be able to get down into very low degrees or else you are going to have a devil of a time thinning out behind the edge and to be perfectly honest Fixed angle tools are not the best at this.

I have the Ken Onion Worksharp and it is perfect for low angles and thinning behind the edge or any other kind of heavy stock removal.

This is an excellent tool but you must keep the knife cool with a bucket of water and be careful with it furthermore it will give a Appleseed grind which is good but I have found that setting the apex on the edge the edge with the Blitz360 afterwards really brings it all together.

This is the one I have and a pretty good price here https://www.ebay.com/itm/363570836474?h ... BMzKeU0clh

or here for the newer model https://www.gritomatic.com/products/tsp ... -sharpener

I have been accused of being OCD with setting angels and degrees. ("One . Cool .Dude") :cheap-sunglasses :smiling-halo

While I have not owned an edge pro I do own a Hapstone7 and to be honest I am not impressed and was recently considering freeing up space in my toolbox and tossing it in the garbage can.

The edge pro is very similar in the way it works and I think a person will screw up a few knives before they get proficient with it where as the Blitz 360 requires allot less skill and practice.

There are allot of fans of the edge pro but I think they are mostly people who learned on it back in the day before there were real alternatives and eventually got good with it like Apostle P on YouTube.

Hope this helps feel free to ask any questions. TSPROF has some decent videos of it in use on YouTube and believe it or not their cheap set of diamond plates that sometimes come bundled as a kit are very good.

I'll take some pictures of the CTS-204P Spyderco Military when I get home and post them. As I recall I am not happy with the tip and do need to make it more pointy.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

welcome! i've been able to sharpen my magnacut mule just fine with my sharpmaker. i imagine the same would be true with the native, especially with serrations.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

When I recommend a sharpener, especially to someone who's not great at it I always point to the Triangle Sharpmaker.
It's fast to set up. Extremely easy to use. Packs up neatly. Because of it's compact size easy to take along camping. If you have a high wear steel you can up to a set of diamond stones.

In short it's easy, convenient and gives great results. I have a KME system with diamond stones but I rarely use it.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I find the KME with diamond stones a good balance of cost vs quality with repeatable results.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Here are the pictures I promised.

Not my best work, started with the Wicked Edge it was unable to work on the Ricasso and get the angles low enough, from there I got desperate to correct the mess and had to use the Ken onion, my final edge was with the Blitz 360.

Had I owned the Blitz 360 and started with that I am certain the end result would have been better.

stehrorland

Post by stehrorland »

Here are some sharpening system options that could work well for maintaining your Heretic Cleric 2 OTF knives with MagnaCut dagger blades:
  • Lansky Guided System - Since you've used it before with good results, the Lansky is still a solid reliable option. Easy angle control.
  • Edge Pro Apex - Similar guided system but with more advanced features and accessories. Holds angle well.
    Work Sharp Precision Adjust - Uses flexible abrasive belts for easy freehand or guided sharpening. Good for beginners.
  • TSProf Knife Sharpener - High quality guided system with angle lock and wide range of accessories.
  • Wicked Edge GO - Portable guided system that excels at double edged and angled blades. Easy to learn.
  • KME Sharpener - Precision guide rods make holding angle easy. Good upgrade from the Lansky.
Any of these systems should give a beginner sharpener the angle control and guidance needed to consistently put a razor edge on the double edged OTF daggers. And improve on the factory edge.
A knife is only as good as the one who wields itgeometry dash
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I have an edge pro and it's great. Not inexpensive but IMO worth it.
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

BeggarSo wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the Galley V can use Gauntlet CBN rods! I was dreading trying to take the edges of our kitchen knives down to 10 degrees using the fine ceramic rods.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

derangedhermit wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:53 pm
BeggarSo wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the Galley V can use Gauntlet CBN rods! I was dreading trying to take the edges of our kitchen knives down to 10 degrees using the fine ceramic rods.
glad and to share and help.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Edge Pro with the magnet and the diamond matrix stones. The slide guide add on is useful too, but the magnet is crucial.