let's settle this once and for all

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you could only carry a knife from ONE Spyderco family, what would it be?

Military family
29%
Manix family
9%
Native family
17%
Salt family
16%
Yo family
1%
Endura/Endela/Delica family
19%
Mule family
1%
Fixed family
1%
Rescue family
1%
Other/discussed below
6%

Total votes: 161

Tristan_david2001

Re: let's settle this once and for all

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:55 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:32 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:24 pm
Surprising to see how well the "Endura/Endela/Delica" family still fares, despite in that poll it is the only family that is specifically limited to explicitly three models (while, as said, I believe the Stretches and DFly technically belong to the "Endura family" too) -
and despite the "Salts" are their own family in that poll, so the iconic Pac Salt, Salt 2 and DFly Salt don´t count for the "Endura family" here.
I really don’t see how the dragonfly or the stretch is seen as part of the delica family, a “family” of knife designs means they share significant design characteristics, as in like relatives of a family. I believe in order of size this family would go ladybug, manbug, delica, endela, endura, and the police.

I totally get your point and I don´t have a dog in the race here personally!

It is just that in discussions on this forum it has been often the case that the "Endura family" also included DFly and Stretch(es) - perhaps cause they are all Seki knives with the exact same backlock the exact same FRN pattern and so on? ...
Or cause Sal once said something along the lines that he designed the Stretch 1 (among other reasons) to fill the "gap" between Delica and Endura (this was long before the Endela came out of course).

Practically it does not matter (to me and generally) anyway, but theoretically if the Stretches and DFly belonged to the broader "Endura family" the Jumpers should so too... :winking-tongue
Oh that confuses me a little more. I thought the inception of the stretch family just originated and is part of the original Hunter/venator models. And I agree, practically it’s just semantics. It makes more sense to me that family in knife group terms implies it’s more a matter of overall designs than just steel types, like the salt series, lock, and where it’s manufactured.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Seki mid-lock knives share a lot of DNA, although the Delica/Endela/Endura are the most closely related. I consider the Dragonfly, Stretch, and Police to be close cousins.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:55 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:32 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:24 pm
I totally get your point and I don´t have a dog in the race here personally!

It is just that in discussions on this forum it has been often the case that the "Endura family" also included DFly and Stretch(es) - perhaps cause they are all Seki knives with the exact same backlock the exact same FRN pattern and so on? ...
Or cause Sal once said something along the lines that he designed the Stretch 1 (among other reasons) to fill the "gap" between Delica and Endura (this was long before the Endela came out of course).

Practically it does not matter (to me and generally) anyway, but theoretically if the Stretches and DFly belonged to the broader "Endura family" the Jumpers should so too... :winking-tongue
Oh that confuses me a little more. I thought the inception of the stretch family just originated and is part of the original Hunter/venator models. And I agree, practically it’s just semantics. It makes more sense to me that family in knife group terms implies it’s more a matter of overall designs than just steel types, like the salt series, lock, and where it’s manufactured.

First and foremost: I am not an expert on Spyderco history and definitely don´t want to come across as such.

That said: Yes, the Stretch originated from the Hunter.

Still (and I´ll try to find that quote when I have time): Sal said roughly something like that the Stretch 1 should have filled the gap between the Delica and Endura but did not sell that well (as well as they say that he designed the Stretch 1 "to fit his hand perfectly", but that is just something I randomly read somewhere and NOT quoting Sal)
But, as you say: Just semantics, just "weird knife guys talk" ;) :clinking-mugs
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Big Chief > Native Chief > Lil' Chief > Native > Lil' Native
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:53 pm
Halfneck wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:17 pm
I've carried & used every version since it came out - Delica Family.

The Delica, for me, is a perfect blend of fit, function, and affordability.

I love the Caly 3, but it's not as easy to replace.
The Rhino has become one of my favorite Spyderco knives, but sadly discontinued.

Among currently produced Spyderco knives, the Chapparal LW is the closest in competition to my Delica.

The Delica fits my hand like it was made for it. During the period of my life where I used knives the hardest (EMT, Army Medic) I carried a Delica & it accomplished everything I asked of it. It is one of the only knives, among all brands, I have more than 1 of.
A well deserved praise of this iconic spydie. Which Delica would be your fav ?
My current 2 are:

FFG PE VG10 with Brown FRN (recently discontinued)
SE ZDP-189 with British Racing Green FRN (discontinued)

Actually been carrying the SE ZDP-189 Delica the past few days. Went out to eat yesterday & forgot a knife. Luckily I keep that Delica in my car. Noticed it hadn't been cleaned in a while so brought it into the house to do so. Just grabbed it and will be carrying it instead of the PE version while I do some yardwork.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Halfneck wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:19 pm
elena86 wrote:
Halfneck wrote:

The Rhino has become one of my favorite Spyderco knives, but sadly discontinued.

Among currently produced Spyderco knives, the Chapparal LW is the closest in competition to my Delica.

The Delica fits my hand like it was made for it. During the period of my life where I used knives the hardest (EMT, Army Medic) I carried a Delica & it accomplished everything I asked of it. It is one of the only knives, among all brands, I have more than 1 of.
My current 2 are:

Actually been carrying the SE ZDP-189 Delica the past few days. Went out to eat yesterday & forgot a knife. Luckily I keep that Delica in my car. Noticed it hadn't been cleaned in a while so brought it into the house to do so. Just grabbed it and will be carrying it instead of the PE version while I do some yardwork.
I handled a delca ata local gun store and I wasn't impressed. I hate to say it and I know I'm gonna catch flame for this but it just felt anemic and flimsy. I know it's Spyderco and therefore isn't weak or flimsy and would probably exceed my expectations by a considerable margin, but it that was just my first impression. It just didn't feel good in hand.

When I compare it to the native it feels like a world of difference between the two. Maybe I just like beefy knives and I'm prejudiced. Maybe I need to pick up a delica and be proven wrong. Maybe the Celica is just too small and I need to start with an endura to fall in love with the line. I dunno.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:54 pm
Halfneck wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:19 pm
elena86 wrote:
Halfneck wrote:

My current 2 are:

I handled a delca ata local gun store and I wasn't impressed. I hate to say it and I know I'm gonna catch flame for this but it just felt anemic and flimsy. I know it's Spyderco and therefore isn't weak or flimsy and would probably exceed my expectations by a considerable margin, but it that was just my first impression. It just didn't feel good in hand.

When I compare it to the native it feels like a world of difference between the two. Maybe I just like beefy knives and I'm prejudiced. Maybe I need to pick up a delica and be proven wrong. Maybe the Celica is just too small and I need to start with an endura to fall in love with the line. I dunno.
I think I read somewhere that you wanted to try a Salt Series knife, so you could bet two birds stoned at once and try a SALT 2 or a Pacific Salt 2?

The Delica, Endela, and Endura are worth learning to love! They’re great knives - no frills, utilitarian, GSD type of knives. Maybe you can learn to love them through something from the Salt Series?
-Nick :bug-red
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Nobody gets the Delica until they cut something with it.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:57 pm

I think I read somewhere that you wanted to try a Salt Series knife, so you could bet two birds stoned at once and try a SALT 2 or a Pacific Salt 2?

The Delica, Endela, and Endura are worth learning to love! They’re great knives - no frills, utilitarian, GSD type of knives. Maybe you can learn to love them through something from the Salt Series?
You did indeed read that somewhere. I was considering the native salt but I think you have a good point. I think the salt is the way to get into the delica family. Now, do I choose lc200n, h1, or magnacut?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I never got the delica until years ago, when I decided to ship it directly to a destination hiking trip to force myself to carry it without any other options. The arranged marriage worked, and funny that my brother on the same trip had been (and was) quietly carrying the OG delica for decades without my knowledge.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

H1/2 SE gets my vote.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:04 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:57 pm

You did indeed read that somewhere. I was considering the native salt but I think you have a good point. I think the salt is the way to get into the delica family. Now, do I choose lc200n, h1, or magnacut?
i meant to reply to you before, but i always suggest a pac salt in se h1 (or h2). every spyderco fan should have at least one, in my opinion.

my next spyderco purchase will likely be three pac salts, unless the nishijin stretch or dlc military 2 come out first.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Caly / UKPK family, which currently for me includes:

Caly 3.5 cf/zdp,
Caly 3 SE,
UKPK (salt SE, both HH g10/s30v variants, and a GIN1 CE, sold the 110v but must get a Spy27)
Urban (s90v/g10 & HH s30v, but stupidly sold the Elmax, k390 & AEBL versions).
Squeak (n690 & Ti/Elmax)

Obviously I’m eagerly awaiting the new Caly XL.
Tristan_david2001

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:40 pm

Caly 3.5 cf/zdp,
Caly 3 SE,
UKPK (salt SE, both HH g10/s30v variants, and a GIN1 CE, sold the 110v but must get a Spy27)
Squeak (n690 & Ti/Elmax)

How would you rank the Caly originator models. The calypso and calypso jr. ?
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:22 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:

Caly 3.5 cf/zdp,
Caly 3 SE,
Squeak (n690 & Ti/Elmax)

I foolishly prevaricated on the occasions when I could have bought the SB Caly Jr and Calypso sprint - so I don’t know!
Tristan_david2001

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:52 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:22 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:

Caly 3.5 cf/zdp,
Caly 3 SE,
Squeak (n690 & Ti/Elmax)

I foolishly prevaricated on the occasions when I could have bought the SB Caly Jr and Calypso sprint - so I don’t know!
I humbly recommend hopping on the opportunity to get one on the sm and trying them out, later sprints or originals. I think It would be amazing if they were brought back and and given better justice and recognition aligned with how excellent they truly are, but I have no guess on how far out any Moki manufactured products will be coming in. It sounds like the new Caly 4 will be the newest model in the family we will see, I’m also eager to check it out. I’m hoping they didn’t slim the original too much, I find the original 2 calypsos to be the core and most balanced in-house designs of the spyderco edc pocket knife.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Native Family or BUST! :savouring
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
kobold

Post by kobold »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:09 am

Go Natives!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kobold wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:40 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:09 am

Go Natives!
[+1]

I may end up collecting the native family if I can pay some bills off here. Right now I'm just trying to collect the Native Chiefs.

:party-face
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I just need to get one Native and take it from there.