Most Noble Order of the Sock Drawer

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bolster

Re: Most Noble Order of the Sock Drawer

Post by Bolster »

Where do you guys find these hilarious gifs? And are they catalogued in a way that you can search on specific topics? If I wanted, for instance, gifs of Canadians doing humorous things, that's possible? What about ducks? What about selections from classics like "What About Bob" and "O Brother Where Art Thou"? Are all these gifs available somewhere?

(HEY, just turned to page 97! We may get to 100 after all!!)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:49 pm
Where do you guys find these hilarious gifs? And are they catalogued in a way that you can search on specific topics? If I wanted, for instance, gifs of Canadians doing humorous things, that's possible? What about ducks? What about selections from classics like "What About Bob" and "O Brother Where Art Thou"? Are all these gifs available somewhere?

(HEY, just turned to page 97! We may get to 100 after all!!)
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Somebody called Dapper Dan ! :zany
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

LOL. I've been served. Well done. To quote Delmar: "OK, I'm with you fellers."

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

“What in the wild world of a sports is a going on here?!” (Insert Blazing Saddles quote here.) Don’t just stand around here and meme each other!

… isn’t there work to do? Realm to police? Knife memes to make?! How many of our brothers have to lose knives while rock climbing for you guys to make a group about it, and to do something about it?! Ugghhh, might as well just keep my knives in a sock drawer, and never risk such loss!

Speaking of that… was fishing in the river… knife almost slipped out of the hand… (contemplated how far down I would dive before saying goodbye to a good heat treat…) can’t we just glue the things to our hands so we never lose them?! Is the world all mad?!
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:17 pm
“What in the wild world of a sports is a going on here?!” (Insert Blazing Saddles quote here.)
I don't think I've sat through the entirety of that one either.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Jeff I bet you could watch the made for TV version of Blazing Saddles… all edited it is 7 minutes long! Surely you can sit through that one!
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
max808

Post by max808 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:41 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:21 am
I don't know why, really, can't see any reason to but : I thought about this thread cause I was watching something from the Monty Pythons I had never seen
There is a lot of Monty Python I haven't seen...
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Faithfully at your service,
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

Mrj wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:01 am
JSumm wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:20 am
Mrj wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:27 pm
I’m not in the group but my socks hide 3 Spydercos and two pistols. Just sayin.
Well butter my buns and call me biscuit! We have a new member. Based on the fine print, your text on this thread legally binds you to membership. Your life time membership can only be voided by burning all your socks in front of your home preferably in a residential area while chanting this cotton (or wool) has no hold on me.

Welcome new member #0048!
🙌🙌😀 whoa who! Mrj is at your service.
Welcome aboard 0048!

Faithfully at your service,
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Thank you Noble One!
MRj “Weak things break!”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

So. Getting back to the fundamental topic of socks for a moment. I just purchased (and am feeling a little sheepish about it) the most expensive pair of 'socks' I've ever bought...by a large margin. I forked over nearly $200 for lightweight snake gaiters...which are merely specialty socks, if you think about it.

YES you can buy snake gaiters that are much less expensive. Sadly these are the ones recommended by ultralight backpackers, and I'm prepping for a solo meander through snake territory. At least I can wear them on the OUTside of my pants, so the snakes can see how noble I am.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 10.09.43 PM.png
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:10 pm
So. Getting back to the fundamental topic of socks for a moment. I just purchased (and am feeling a little sheepish about it) the most expensive pair of 'socks' I've ever bought...by a large margin. I forked over nearly $200 for lightweight snake gaiters...which are merely specialty socks, if you think about it.

YES you can buy snake gaiters that are much less expensive. Sadly these are the ones recommended by ultralight backpackers, and I'm prepping for a solo meander through snake territory. At least I can wear them on the OUTside of my pants, so the snakes can see how noble I am.
What type of material is used ? Does material deflect the bite or absorb the fangs ? Sorry just curious how they work . 0002
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:21 am
What type of material is used ? Does material deflect the bite or absorb the fangs ? Sorry just curious how they work . 0002

Hey, as long as the topic is vaguely sock-like, it's as on-topic as the other material in this thread, right? I read these gaiters are made of a very tightly woven ballistic and polyester fabric that inhibits fang penetration. What makes these 'special' is they aren't as stiff and bulky as regular snake gaiters, which makes hiking easier. And they weigh less than most snake gaiters, at 6 oz each. And foldable for packing, unlike many. It's sad to add any weight to the legs and feet, though, where it slows you down. Also, I've read they're like a sauna for your lower legs. I don't plan to wear them constantly, but there are sections of trail where rocks and brush grow nearly vertical to the narrow trail and make visual inspection nearly impossible. The goal is to be able to look up at the scenery more, and down at the trail a little less. Sadly in my hike area we have Mojave Greens, not just Western Diamonds. If it were just Western Diamonds I might spend the $200 on another knife instead. If you are interested, the brand is "Turtleskin."
Last edited by Bolster on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thanks buddy , in Illinois we only have Timbers in southern tip of state . In central Illinois the early settlers wiped out poisonous snakes doing drives in the 1800’s . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Is there a form I need to submit? Checklist or DNA swab?

I do have a snazzy pair of Otter socks at home, great for salt knives. :hugging-face
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:58 am

I do have a snazzy pair of Otter socks at home, great for salt knives. :hugging-face

It's rigorous. The MNOSD isn't for just anybody. You have to either purposely or accidentally make a post in this thread, and you're in. Since you have done that (too late to retract at this point!), you will be assigned an official noble membership number by über-efficient #0005, who will complete the initiation process by making various wry remarks. Photos of your sock drawer, besprinkled with knives, are welcome.

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:41 am
Thanks buddy , in Illinois we only have Timbers in southern tip of state . In central Illinois the early settlers wiped out poisonous snakes doing drives in the 1800’s . Dan

And here I thought the Simpson's Snake Whacking Day was a figment of the imagination. You're telling me it was real!!
Attachments
hqdefault.jpg
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:58 am

Otter Socks? I think I came across some the other day looking to upgrade my collection. Similar to the ones below. Looks cozy.
I think these are actually buffalo fur. Which why someone would want to harm those majestic creatures I have no idea.

Now otters, I say go for it. Those evil conniving little demons. Always hiding behind their sweet playful nature, until you turn your back and wham! Otter bite to the achilles. Use them all and use them often! Like this nice gentleman below. He probably has at least 18 otters in the wonderfully warm shower robe.

So all that to say, welcome to our most wonderful club. We meet weekly on Tuesday nights and share tea and vanilla wafers together.
Welcome #0049!
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with Whiskey... and so on.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Also, updated list.

- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005