let's settle this once and for all

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you could only carry a knife from ONE Spyderco family, what would it be?

Military family
29%
Manix family
9%
Native family
17%
Salt family
16%
Yo family
1%
Endura/Endela/Delica family
19%
Mule family
1%
Fixed family
1%
Rescue family
1%
Other/discussed below
6%

Total votes: 161

gooeytek

Re: let's settle this once and for all

Post by gooeytek »

Sage 2
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

SALT AND ALWAYS SALT!
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:07 am
Carrying a fixed blade more often lately and having a lot of mules made and in production.

So many handle shapes and materials but my latest Ultem in Magnacut would suffice many environments
Ah, you're the other mule voter! 😱🤪
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
standy99

Post by standy99 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:01 pm
standy99 wrote:
Carrying a fixed blade more often lately and having a lot of mules made and in production.

So many handle shapes and materials but my latest Ultem in Magnacut would suffice many environments
Hey mate we have to stick together…. :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Salt and fixed blade, if I really had to nail it down. :-)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

standy99 wrote:

I don't own even one mule, but I think that will change when I have the income for the drops.

Your collection is really nice!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:31 pm
standy99 wrote:

I don't own even one mule, but I think that will change when I have the income for the drops.

That is a beautiful collection and I really want a mule, but not until I move to a state where I can carry it.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:33 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:01 pm
standy99 wrote:

Hey mate we have to stick together…. :winking-tongue
👊 like peas and carrots.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:47 pm
Naperville wrote:

That is a beautiful collection and I really want a mule, but not until I move to a state where I can carry it.
If you want a mule buy one, buy a dozen if you have the money and timing to pull it off. I carry knives for self defense, but that is my business, and you have to decide what you want to do. The laws are different everywhere.

The laws vary here in Illinois. Chicago apparently has a 2.5 inch max blade carry length, yet it is very hard left, and there is no such thing as self defense for most people. For most of the remainder of the state, I do not think there is a maximum, unless they can prove you are a menace with ill intent. Illinois law does stipulate that if you break the law and a knife with a blade larger than 3 inches is used, the charges will carry a felony.

I think it was 2010 or 2012 and a neighbor said he would get someone down the street (a gang) to burn down our property if he caught me double parking again. He was a TOTAL crackpot. I went looking for the gang to have a chat and I've had chats with several gangs in the neighborhood to cool things off. Well I asked too many questions I suppose and 5 guys on the South Side of Chicago started to kick me, strike at me and try to grab me to take control of me. All that I did was to pop a legal length folder to my hip and say "KNIFE!" and that caused the leftists to get wet. I did not have a job at the time and ended up with a misdemeanor ag assault. I did not slash, swing or thrust the knife. I did not threaten anyone. They let me go and I walked....and the cops nabbed me less than 300ft from where the incident happened.

My 83 yr old mother is the only thing keeping me in Illinois and if she passes, I'll move in the first year.

The world is no longer amenable to self defense for certain implements. This is just my opinion based on what I see.

If I had a CCW (carry license for a firearm) in Illinois, and shot 5 perps, I would not have been charged with an ag assault. NOPE. And there have been a number of people shot dead in Illinois by CCW holders. I follow the news all day and I think I've only seen one case where the CCW holder was in any trouble of any kind.

For some reason, this is the elites and "hooked up power brokers" decision about how we are to live. Shoot someone while a CCW holder, off scott free. Stab someone with a pencil in self defense, go to prison.

:thinking

Nonetheless, I carry whatever I carry because it's my life and I am not going to be taken out by some clowns.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Other Stretch 2/Stretch 2 XL family
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:58 pm
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:47 pm
Naperville wrote:

If you want a mule buy one, buy a dozen if you have the money and timing to pull it off. I carry knives for self defense, but that is my business, and you have to decide what you want to do. The laws are different everywhere.

The laws vary here in Illinois. Chicago apparently has a 2.5 inch max blade carry length, yet it is very hard left, and there is no such thing as self defense for most people. For most of the remainder of the state, I do not think there is a maximum, unless they can prove you are a menace with ill intent. Illinois law does stipulate that if you break the law and a knife with a blade larger than 3 inches is used, the charges will carry a felony.

I think it was 2010 or 2012 and a neighbor said he would get someone down the street (a gang) to burn down our property if he caught me double parking again. He was a TOTAL crackpot. I went looking for the gang to have a chat and I've had chats with several gangs in the neighborhood to cool things off. Well I asked too many questions I suppose and 5 guys on the South Side of Chicago started to kick me, strike at me and try to grab me to take control of me. All that I did was to pop a legal length folder to my hip and say "KNIFE!" and that caused the leftists to get wet. I did not have a job at the time and ended up with a misdemeanor ag assault. I did not slash, swing or thrust the knife. I did not threaten anyone. They let me go and I walked....and the cops nabbed me less than 300ft from where the incident happened.

My 83 yr old mother is the only thing keeping me in Illinois and if she passes, I'll move in the first year.

The world is no longer amenable to self defense for certain implements. This is just my opinion based on what I see.

If I had a CCW (carry license for a firearm) in Illinois, and shot 5 perps, I would not have been charged with an ag assault. NOPE. And there have been a number of people shot dead in Illinois by CCW holders. I follow the news all day and I think I've only seen one case where the CCW holder was in any trouble of any kind.

For some reason, this is the elites and "hooked up power brokers" decision about how we are to live. Shoot someone while a CCW holder, off scott free. Stab someone with a pencil in self defense, go to prison.

:thinking

Nonetheless, I carry whatever I carry because it's my life and I am not going to be taken out by some clowns.
That is a great write up and your are absolutely right. I am planning to move to a hard red, Castle doctrine State withina few years, and one of the requirements is loose or no knife laws (and gun laws) do you plan on leaving IL?
jdw

Post by jdw »

Military1. My favorite design and knife of any maker. I am willing to give the Military 2 a chance but it seems like an oversized PM2 to me and I am not a fan of comp locks. I know there are multiple threads about this subject but being less expensive to produce isn’t a selling point to me, although it clearly works for Spyderco.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Military
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ImHereForTheMilitary2

jdw wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:36 am
Military1. My favorite design and knife of any maker. I am willing to give the Military 2 a chance but it seems like an oversized PM2 to me and I am not a fan of comp locks. I know there are multiple threads about this subject but being less expensive to produce isn’t a selling point to me, although it clearly works for Spyderco.
That's what knife family means though... Different sizes of the same base model, right? What's a PM2 but an oversized para3? What's a native chief but an oversized native?

The M2 is the exact same knife as the M1 except for the lock and additional clip positions. It's more closely related to the m1 than the pm2.

And it doesn't just work for Spyderco. It works for a lot of us. I've wanted a compression lock military since the day I laid hands on a PM2. You make the lock sound like a handicap to the knife, when there's a solid argument to be made that the compression lock is stronger, safer, more reliable lock than the liner lock.

You're entitled to like whatever you like for sure, but there's a pretty dang large crowd of us that consider the m2 to be a significant upgrade to the m1, myself included.

And your not the first one to say it so don't take it personally, but I really wish people would stop speaking of the compression lock at if it were a downgraded, corner-cut financial decision by a greedy corporation simply because they prefer the liner lock. There's no valid reason to say that outside of your personal preference.

By doing so, you're painting Spyderco in a bad light, which is an insult to them in my opinion. It's also an insult to the m2 which I own and can verify is a well built knife

From what I've read, they made the m2 from customer demand, not cutting costs. If they happen to save a buck in doing so, good for them. They have a right to make profit and live just like you do.

I hate this modern attitude of "how dare a company want to make and save money" when it's something that literally every company and every human on earth tries to do every day. If they didn't do that, they'd be out of business and nobody would have their knives.

So yeah, it does work for Spyderco and you better hope it always does if you like getting their products.

Sorry to vent on you specifically for everyone that says this, but I'm really sick of seeing it. The m2 is a great knife. The compression lock is a great lock. Period.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

How is it possible that 92% of you got it wrong?

🤟😆🔪
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:22 am
That is a great write up and your are absolutely right. I am planning to move to a hard red, Castle doctrine State withina few years, and one of the requirements is loose or no knife laws (and gun laws) do you plan on leaving IL?
Illinois just aggravates me to no end. Taxes are insane. Worst comes to worst and I'll be living in a van in 5yrs. I've done it before so I'm not worried. Yes a "redder" state, but nothing insane.

All of my current Drs are in Chicago, and I see them every month, so picking up and moving is sort of tricky. But I'll figure it out. I am just leaving the house to go to my first day at a part-time job at Amazon. They are everywhere so a transfer is possible.

Right now I'm thinking of living outside of a decent sized town where there will be food and some shopping with a decent sized hospital for most of my needs. Not too cold, not too hot, not much snow. Far N, S, E, or W is out.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:27 am
jdw wrote:
That's what knife family means though... Different sizes of the same base model, right? What's a PM2 but an oversized para3? What's a native chief but an oversized native?

The M2 is the exact same knife as the M1 except for the lock and additional clip positions. It's more closely related to the m1 than the pm2.

And it doesn't just work for Spyderco. It works for a lot of us. I've wanted a compression lock military since the day I laid hands on a PM2. You make the lock sound like a handicap to the knife, when there's a solid argument to be made that the compression lock is stronger, safer, more reliable lock than the liner lock.

You're entitled to like whatever you like for sure, but there's a pretty dang large crowd of us that consider the m2 to be a significant upgrade to the m1, myself included.

And your not the first one to say it so don't take it personally, but I really wish people would stop speaking of the compression lock at if it were a downgraded, corner-cut financial decision by a greedy corporation simply because they prefer the liner lock. There's no valid reason to say that outside of your personal preference.

By doing so, you're painting Spyderco in a bad light, which is an insult to them in my opinion. It's also an insult to the m2 which I own and can verify is a well built knife

From what I've read, they made the m2 from customer demand, not cutting costs. If they happen to save a buck in doing so, good for them. They have a right to make profit and live just like you do.

I hate this modern attitude of "how dare a company want to make and save money" when it's something that literally every company and every human on earth tries to do every day. If they didn't do that, they'd be out of business and nobody would have their knives.

So yeah, it does work for Spyderco and you better hope it always does if you like getting their products.

Sorry to vent on you specifically for everyone that says this, but I'm really sick of seeing it. The m2 is a great knife. The compression lock is a great lock. Period.

Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like uh, your opinion, man. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Quite an over-the-top reaction to a sort of normal, typical post. I was cruising along, reading comments, and then this! Wow! Bam! I hardly ever respond like this, but...
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:27 am
jdw wrote:
That's what knife family means though... Different sizes of the same base model, right? That's not what I took it to mean, though that's one interpretation. For example, I took "Salt Family" to mean any of Spyderco's knives with no-rust blades/hardware, not just the upsizing of the Salt model. What's a PM2 but an oversized para3? What's a native chief but an oversized native?

The M2 is the exact same knife as the M1 except for the lock and additional clip positions. Not true, but close enough, I guess. It's more closely related to the m1 than the pm2. I agree with this statement, but you just said a knife family is different sizes of the base model.

And it doesn't just work for Spyderco. It works for a lot of us. I've wanted a compression lock military since the day I laid hands on a PM2. You make the lock sound like a handicap to the knife, when there's a solid argument to be made that the compression lock is stronger, safer, more reliable lock than the liner lock. To me, the compression lock IS a handicap, not because other locks are better, but because other locks work better for ME. I agree, though, that the compression lock is good, and that tons of people like it with good reason.

You're entitled to like whatever you like for sure, but there's a pretty dang large crowd of us that consider the m2 to be a significant upgrade to the m1, myself included. No doubt. Some are pretty darn vocal about it, too.

And your not the first one to say it so don't take it personally, but I really wish people would stop speaking of the compression lock at if it were a downgraded, corner-cut financial decision by a greedy corporation simply because they prefer the liner lock. That probably happens, but I haven't seen much of it on these boards. Most people are pretty clear when they like something because of personal preference rather than technical superiority. In fact, isn't that what jdw did? There's no valid reason to say that outside of your personal preference. Totally agree.

By doing so, you're painting Spyderco in a bad light, which is an insult to them in my opinion. Seems like a stretch. It's also an insult to the m2 which I own and can verify is a well built knife

From what I've read, they made the m2 from customer demand, not cutting costs. True, as far as I know. If they happen to save a buck in doing so, good for them. They have a right to make profit and live just like you do. All he is saying is that cost-cutting is not a selling point for him. I agree. I often pay a few bucks more for a feature I like.

I hate this modern attitude of "how dare a company want to make and save money" when it's something that literally every company and every human on earth tries to do every day. If they didn't do that, they'd be out of business and nobody would have their knives. Does anyone really feel that way? I think by now most people understand economic pressures.

Sorry to vent on you specifically for everyone that says this, but I'm really sick of seeing it. Chill. I haven't seen that many posts dissing the M2 or comp locks. The m2 is a great knife. If a knife can be considered great a few months after its introduction, the M2 is probably it. The compression lock is a great lock. Period. I guess there are people who think it's not a great lock, but the market for it says otherwise. Still, I like almost any other lock better. Personal preference.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Voted Military as I really liked my Para 2s apart from the stubby blade. But as the Military 2 finally materialized and fixes the blade length issue I can pick it with a clear conscience.

If the M2 wasn't there I'd probably go for one of Stretch (XL LW!), Police (4 LW K390!) or the Kapara (not a family really, but a great knife nevertheless)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:43 am

How is it possible that 92% of you got it wrong?

🤟😆🔪
I ask myself the same thing. I think they probably can not help themselves because they got brainwashed by Sal to hype up the Sales of that Military 2 and there Salt series… :squinting-tongue